UncleWillie

wabbit wangler

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 10399
  • 12,767 Thanks
  • 7,703 posts

Posted July 27, 2012 - 02:59 PM

Ok, don't get mad at me here...this is more of a "any cool stories?" question but have any of you that carries every had a situation where you needed it?

Yes, on three different occasions.
First was a drug crazed guy that showed up at the back door and would not leave till he got a good view down the barrel of the .45.

Second was a guy who was driving down a dark road at a very high rate of speed with no headlights on. I almost pulled out in front of him with my ex wife and baby in the car. He went down the road and waited for us to pass in a parking lot. When we got to a stop light with a car in front of us where I had to stop he pulled up next to us and got out with a tire tool in his hand. I turned on the dome light and held the pistol up on the dash. He got back in his car, ran the light and left.

Third was two Hispanic guys who came to look at a truck I had for sale. One spoke no English and one spoke bad English. I don't speak Spanish but I am very good with body language. They had no intentions of paying for the truck and the one who spoke no Spanish kept his hand in his pocket. It was cold out and I was wearing a jacket. I took my jacket off and tossed it on the hood of my truck where I had immediate access to my pistol. Mr. No English took his hand out of his pocket and started to speak fluent English. Mr Spanglish had a marked improvement in English too. They left immediately.
  • middleageddeere and twostep have said thanks

#17 Michiganmobileman OFFLINE  

Michiganmobileman

Old Tractor Addict

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 5678
  • 1,235 Thanks
  • 1,842 posts

Posted July 27, 2012 - 10:07 PM

I think if every respectable, properly trained citizen in this country carried an exposed sidearm there would be a whole lot less crime (or a lot more dead criminals). Either way a win/win situation. I do not own a pistol (the thought has crossed my mind recently) but we do have a few long guns in the house.

#18 Bmerf ONLINE  

Bmerf

Patina Farmer / Rust Collector

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 9846
  • 1,708 Thanks
  • 1,445 posts

Posted July 27, 2012 - 10:44 PM

Michiganmobileman, I could not agree with you more. While I currently don't carry, the thought has crossed my mind. I was brought up around guns and the whole familly learned to shoot. A family tradition carried out still today. Have a firm belief if you raise kids to respect others and learn to shoot, the world would have less problems today.
  • middleageddeere and Michiganmobileman have said thanks

#19 Amigatec OFFLINE  

Amigatec

Collector of Rusty Junk

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 5899
  • 2,023 Thanks
  • 3,172 posts

Posted July 28, 2012 - 04:47 AM

Oklahoma passed Open Carry this year, I have a CC permit, I haven't decided if I will open carry or not.

#20 coldone OFFLINE  

coldone

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 839
  • 1,631 Thanks
  • 1,668 posts

Posted July 28, 2012 - 08:02 AM

Ok, don't get mad at me here...this is more of a "any cool stories?" question but have any of you that carries every had a situation where you needed it?

Yes.

Working in a convinece store one night. Guy said he had a gun in his pocket. I showed him mine before he could show me his. He left in a hurry and i am still here (alive that is).

3 am some one is beeting and banging on the door. Car has headlights on and is running. Someone is shining flashlight in house and still banging on the door. I yank the door open and follow the pistol out the door. Newbie deputy sherrif promplty throws hands in the air and starts yealling "wait" at the top of her lungs. All she wanted to do was to see if the cows that were out in the highway were ours. Instead she learned to properly identify herself and how to aproach a house out in the country at 3 am. The sheriff got a kick out of the story. The cows werent ours BTW.

Edited by coldone, July 28, 2012 - 08:11 AM.

#21 Amigatec OFFLINE  

Amigatec

Collector of Rusty Junk

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 5899
  • 2,023 Thanks
  • 3,172 posts

Posted July 28, 2012 - 08:21 AM

I have not had to show mine yet, but I do live about 10 miles from a state prison so the threat is always there.

#22 SearsYellow OFFLINE  

SearsYellow

Mower Extraordinaire

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 10530
  • 449 Thanks
  • 562 posts

Posted July 28, 2012 - 08:36 AM

North Carolina just changed our laws. It used to be that someone had to make entry inside of the house before shooting. Now if you think the person is on your property to commit a crime you can shoot him/her. North Carolina also made it where if a person shoots at someone and misses they are not responsible for collateral damage (person, property, animal..etc.).
  • middleageddeere said thank you

#23 Tencubed OFFLINE  

Tencubed
  • Member No: 10398
  • 22 Thanks
  • 26 posts

Posted August 07, 2012 - 12:02 PM

Why does the Illoinois State Police then use autoloaders?

I suspect the Illoinois State Police, like most other police agencies, have decided the additional ammunition capacity of the autoloaders over that of a wheel gun is the deciding factor. Police use is a far different issue than personal carry in my opinion.

My reply about preferring a revolver over an auto was directed at personal carry and my personal preferences. If I were still in police work, it's been a lot of years since I left that profession, I may well opt for an auto.

It was ask if anyone had "Any cool stories" about having to draw their personal carry weapon. I'm not thinking it's "cool" to be in that kind of situation by any means. With that said I'll tell you my wife, who was a nurse prior to retiring, was doing home visits when she was accosted and the display of her handgun sent the fellow running. He was later picked up by the Seattle Police and had outstanding warrants for assault.

Years ago, late 1950's, my Sister and her friend were walking from a theater to their appartment in Seattle. Both girls were in collage at the time. They were accosted by two men. My Sister pulled her little 22 Derringer and shot one in the stomach. He ended up in prision over the matter.

I've also known of several friends or friends of friends that have defused very bad situations simply by drawing their personal carry weapons. Since the laws have changed and it's required that a person must have a CCW the number of instances of this type have declined but the number of people I know that have been mugged or otherwise molested has increased.

I'm over 70 now and have, on two occasions, been in situations where I have drawn my revolver. This is something I do not do lightly. I'm of the opinion that if a firearm is drawn you better be ready to use it and have a valid reason for doing so. If you aren't sure then your going to just make a bad situation worse. The last time this happened to me was just two years ago. I was waiting for one of my sons at a closed tire store, it was well after dark. We had agreed it was a good spot for his friend to drop him off and I had arrived a bit early and had stepped out of the pickup. This was in the small town near where we live and it's unusual to see "street people" in the area. A young fellow approached and appeared to be someone traveling the road. He was carrying a staff about five feet long and sharpened on one end. He ask if I had any spare change. Told him I did not. His reaction was to swing the staff down and point the sharp end at me. He then ask "Are you sure you don't have any money"? I stepped back about three steps and pulled my revolver out and said "I'm very sure and I'm also a very good shot". He left and the local police were unable to locate him. That young man was just one step forward from getting shot. Glad he left.

At my age and in my physical condition I would have been at his mercy without being armed. I couldn't fight my way out of a wet paper bag anymore and need an equalizer.

Nothing fun about these kinds of situations and it's best to simply avoid being where they are likely ot occure. It's impossible to be absolutly safe at all times and, in my opinion, it's a good idea to be prepaired.

Mike
  • Amigatec and twostep have said thanks

#24 Bmerf ONLINE  

Bmerf

Patina Farmer / Rust Collector

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 9846
  • 1,708 Thanks
  • 1,445 posts

Posted August 07, 2012 - 09:50 PM

Mike, I am glad that you are O.K. I often worry about my mother as she is near the same age and we don't live in the best part of the country. I remind her often that she should keep the gun at the back door loaded, you never know.

#25 Team_Green OFFLINE  

Team_Green
  • Member No: 10410
  • 2,211 Thanks
  • 2,305 posts

Posted August 07, 2012 - 10:43 PM

Man, you guys live in a different world than we do up here in Canada. Only police carry handguns up here. At least legally that is. I love target shooting and was a very good shot at one point but haven't fired a gun in a long time!

Out west in Alberta folks oil field hands carry shot guns. no choke, shortest you can buy, folding stock. I had two young fellas (i would guess late 20's) try to truck jack me. Needless to say they where arrested after they wet them selfs when i opened the truck door with my shotty on my lap and raised it. I really wish i could just carry my 44mag but they wont let anyone.. Up here to legally shoot someone in your own home they had to have kicked in TWO locked doors to gain access to your home. Even then if he doesn't have a gun your going to jail..

#26 MH81 ONLINE  

MH81

Proud to be Deplorable

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 802
  • 27,319 Thanks
  • 28,636 posts

Posted August 07, 2012 - 10:53 PM

I work with a guy who used to do in home service as an independent. He might have 100's or thousand's with him depending on the size of the day and costs of the repairs/parts/etc. He had to show his once when he was sure he was about to get rolled. didn't have to pull it, just show it. The perp didn't stick around long.