#1 SearsYellow OFFLINE  

SearsYellow

Mower Extraordinaire

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 10530
  • 449 Thanks
  • 562 posts

Posted July 25, 2012 - 09:55 PM

I have been wanting a smaller handgun because my glock 19 is hard to "conceal" in summer clothing. Today I figured I'd go look around and see if I could find a smaller pistol. I found a Kel Tec P3AT and bought it for a pretty good buy and took it home.

I took it out of the truck, loaded up a magazine and pulled the trigger...No bang.

I went and got another magazine thinking it had a magazine disconnect (which it shouldn't), loaded it and pulled the trigger again no bang.

Yeah the guy took it in on a trade and never fired the gun to see if it functioned properly. He traded for a broken gun. He offered to fix it for me but I told him it's failed me once and that's all it takes for me.

When I buy a gun I expect it to possibly save my families or my life oneday. If it's failed me once I expect that it would happen again.

#2 CASENUT OFFLINE  

CASENUT

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1974
  • 501 Thanks
  • 865 posts

Posted July 25, 2012 - 10:58 PM

Which is why when the SHTF I rely on a Sig for my home def weapon. And I carry an M&P 40c as my daily carry. Good Luck and you're right 1 failure is 1 to many. Your car may not start once is a while, your chain saw may not start, your oven may not work, but your weapon...pull the trigger and it should go 'BANG' everytime...
  • hamman said thank you

#3 daytime dave ONLINE  

daytime dave

Live long and prosper

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 531
  • 4,485 Thanks
  • 6,353 posts

Posted July 25, 2012 - 11:16 PM

Your car may not start once is a while, your chain saw may not start, your oven may not work, but your weapon...pull the trigger and it should go 'BANG' everytime...

It should go bang everytime, or go back. Too bad it didn't work. They are not a bad gun. I have a Kel-Tec in .32acp. It always pops. It is usually carried when I am not carrying a gun. lol

#4 JDBrian OFFLINE  

JDBrian

Super Moderator

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2507
  • 9,574 Thanks
  • 14,136 posts

Posted July 26, 2012 - 05:06 AM

Man, you guys live in a different world than we do up here in Canada. Only police carry handguns up here. At least legally that is. I love target shooting and was a very good shot at one point but haven't fired a gun in a long time!
  • middleageddeere said thank you

#5 Amigatec OFFLINE  

Amigatec

Collector of Rusty Junk

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 5899
  • 2,023 Thanks
  • 3,172 posts

Posted July 26, 2012 - 06:06 AM

My Glock M22 has a problem like that, if I use the slide release to load a round the pin will hit the primer but not hard enough to fire the round, but if I pull it back and let it fly forward it will work just fine. I need to get it into the shop and get it fixed. This is my carry gun and it has to work. I may buy something smaller that is easier to conceal, but Oklahoma passed an open carry bill this year so it may not be a problem now.

I have heard how Canada has restricted gun rights and it's sad, the people need to be able to defend themselves.

#6 tinner OFFLINE  

tinner

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 961
  • 502 Thanks
  • 1,561 posts

Posted July 26, 2012 - 10:32 AM

That's bad juju when one just goes "CLICK" as a bad guy will never wait to let you try again. Amigatec, sounds like the slide isn't locking into place properly but that can be fixed. I'm going Saturday to renew my CHL. I always have a problem deciding which to take to the range, the Colt Commander in .45ACP or the Browning .40 cal. So far it's always been the Colt. Bought some factory ammo yesterday for the first time since Obama took office and got sticker shock. I reload ammo but you must use factory stuff when qualifying for your CHL. In winter when I'm wearing a jacket I carry the Colt Commander but in warmer weather I carry my smaller Colt Defender .380 or my pocket pistol which is a North American Arms Guardian .32. Wife packs a Tarus Mod. 85 in .38 Special.
  • SearsYellow said thank you

#7 Tencubed OFFLINE  

Tencubed
  • Member No: 10398
  • 22 Thanks
  • 26 posts

Posted July 26, 2012 - 12:24 PM

This is why I never select an autoloader of any kind as a carry weapon.

In all the years I've been packing a handgun I've never owned an autoloader that did not, at some point, fail to fire and I've seldom had a wheel gun that did.

Autoloaders fail to fire for many reasons and when this happens it's often a few seconds to a few minutes to get them back to working. Wheel guns that I've had fail to fire were the result of a bad round and a second pull of the trigger got them going.

I'm a stickler about keeping a carry weapon clean and in excellent shape but there's little you can do about the rare bad round you find.

The additional ammunition available in todays autos is a big plus as is the small size of many of them. I'll settle for six for sure every time.

Just my opinion on this of course, I know this is an old and heated debate.

Mike

#8 tinner OFFLINE  

tinner

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 502 Thanks
  • 1,561 posts

Posted July 26, 2012 - 12:46 PM

I agree with you Mike about the dependability of wheel guns but I did buy one several years ago that would miss rounds now and then. I knew he was having problems with it and what the problem probably was and that's why I got it at the price I did. After the timing was reset everything worked as designed. I feel it's very important that whether you choose a semi automatic or revolver that you purchase the best you can afford for self defense.

#9 SearsYellow OFFLINE  

SearsYellow

Mower Extraordinaire

• -GTt Supporter-
  • 449 Thanks
  • 562 posts

Posted July 26, 2012 - 09:04 PM

That's bad juju when one just goes "CLICK" as a bad guy will never wait to let you try again. Amigatec, sounds like the slide isn't locking into place properly but that can be fixed. I'm going Saturday to renew my CHL. I always have a problem deciding which to take to the range, the Colt Commander in .45ACP or the Browning .40 cal. So far it's always been the Colt. Bought some factory ammo yesterday for the first time since Obama took office and got sticker shock. I reload ammo but you must use factory stuff when qualifying for your CHL. In winter when I'm wearing a jacket I carry the Colt Commander but in warmer weather I carry my smaller Colt Defender .380 or my pocket pistol which is a North American Arms Guardian .32. Wife packs a Tarus Mod. 85 in .38 Special.

The guy offered to fix it for me but I told him I'd rather have my money back. I told him once a gun fails on me it's time to get a new gun. I have shot probably 1000 rds thru my glock with one case that did not eject fully. That was shooting cheapo ammo that that obviously didn't have a full load of gun power. My bullet of choice is Hydrashoks.
  • tinner said thank you

#10 tinner OFFLINE  

tinner

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 502 Thanks
  • 1,561 posts

Posted July 26, 2012 - 09:38 PM

My bullet of choice is Hydrashoks.

I agree, they are very effective bullets.

#11 middleageddeere OFFLINE  

middleageddeere

Tacos!

• Member No: 2033
  • 243 Thanks
  • 1,082 posts

Posted July 27, 2012 - 01:22 AM

Ok, don't get mad at me here...this is more of a "any cool stories?" question but have any of you that carries every had a situation where you needed it?

#12 SearsYellow OFFLINE  

SearsYellow

Mower Extraordinaire

• -GTt Supporter-
  • 449 Thanks
  • 562 posts

Posted July 27, 2012 - 09:54 AM

I never had a time that I had to draw my pistol.

One of my good friends, that's a cop, drew his weapon. A guy came up and asked him for some money at a gas station and he stated to the guy that he didn't have any money to give him. The guy then walked off but a few minutes later returned and stated that he had seen him pull money out of his wallet to pay cash for his gas. At that time the guy started walking towards and thats when my friend drew his weapon on the guy.

Needless to say that guy freaked out and ran off.

#13 Amigatec OFFLINE  

Amigatec

Collector of Rusty Junk

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 5899
  • 2,023 Thanks
  • 3,172 posts

Posted July 27, 2012 - 12:08 PM

The guy offered to fix it for me but I told him I'd rather have my money back. I told him once a gun fails on me it's time to get a new gun. I have shot probably 1000 rds thru my glock with one case that did not eject fully. That was shooting cheapo ammo that that obviously didn't have a full load of gun power. My bullet of choice is Hydrashoks.

That's what I carry, if I have to use it, I don't want the rounds going through the body and hitting someone else.

#14 UncleWillie ONLINE  

UncleWillie

wabbit wangler

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 10399
  • 12,771 Thanks
  • 7,704 posts

Posted July 27, 2012 - 01:49 PM

I had a round fail me in the .38 recently. That entire box of ammo got tossed. Not going to take a chance. I may eventually get used for target shooting, but I will not carry anything that wont shoot the first time the trigger is pulled.

#15 LilysDad ONLINE  

LilysDad

Cat Lover

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 10443
  • 9,687 Thanks
  • 7,693 posts

Posted July 27, 2012 - 02:17 PM

This is why I never select an autoloader of any kind as a carry weapon.

In all the years I've been packing a handgun I've never owned an autoloader that did not, at some point, fail to fire and I've seldom had a wheel gun that did.

Autoloaders fail to fire for many reasons and when this happens it's often a few seconds to a few minutes to get them back to working.........

Why does the Illoinois State Police then use autoloaders?

Ok, don't get mad at me here...this is more of a "any cool stories?" question but have any of you that carries every had a situation where you needed it?

I've wondered that, too.