#1 dogsoldier OFFLINE  

dogsoldier
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 9589
  • 316 Thanks
  • 490 posts

Posted July 25, 2012 - 02:16 PM

i found a OEM ignition module for a steal, see here http://www.psep.biz/...nition_coil.htm i just got it in the mail and ran to the garage and put it on. turn the key and she roared to life . im not sure what the difference is between OEM and aftermarket but the aftermarkey didnt work in 3 tries.
here is the box it came in
100_1791.JPG

i am so happy i almost cant stand it.
i would recommend this company to anyone , they are very good to deal with
thanks everyone that took the time and stuck by to help me get this thing running.
this place is the best

Edited by dogsoldier, July 25, 2012 - 02:32 PM.

• KennyP said thank you

#2 Ryan313 OFFLINE  

Ryan313

PK Fanatic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 7087
  • 3,239 Thanks
  • 5,159 posts

Posted July 25, 2012 - 02:29 PM

I am glad you got it going! I have an OEM coil still in the box on a self in my garage, just waiting to be used.

Also, your link does not work.

#3 dogsoldier OFFLINE  

dogsoldier
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 316 Thanks
  • 490 posts

Posted July 25, 2012 - 02:33 PM

thanks ryan, fixed link

#4 olcowhand OFFLINE  

olcowhand

Red Tractor Nut & Diesel Addict

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 20
  • 35,555 Thanks
  • 29,815 posts

Posted July 25, 2012 - 02:45 PM

Wait............ I must be dreaming...... Did I hear DS say his engine lives again? :dancingbanana: Great to hear, and I too have bought from that business & was very pleased!

#5 JDBrian OFFLINE  

JDBrian

Super Moderator

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2507
  • 9,574 Thanks
  • 14,136 posts

Posted July 25, 2012 - 04:09 PM

That's good news. I wonder what the problem was with all those other coils?

#6 dogsoldier OFFLINE  

dogsoldier
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 316 Thanks
  • 490 posts

Posted July 25, 2012 - 04:40 PM

not sure what it was with the other modules. i still have 2 of them here and they are useless to me. may try and sell them and recoup a little of my money back.

#7 MH81 ONLINE  

MH81

Proud to be Deplorable

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 802
  • 27,206 Thanks
  • 28,581 posts

Posted July 25, 2012 - 04:50 PM

When you say "it roared to life", are you trying to tell me that you have internal combustion?

It can't be.

Gasoline internal combustion engines require an ignition source. This is usually delivered in the form of a spark....

DS, that is fantastic news! I just know you did a big dance around the garage. Jumping up & down like you just hit the lottery.
Very happy to hear your long struggle is over. Still driving me nuts why the aftermarket ones didn't. You might want to call the company you got thefrom and relate the story, they may not know that they aren't direct replacements.

Or you have a picky engine... ;)

#8 dogsoldier OFFLINE  

dogsoldier
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 316 Thanks
  • 490 posts

Posted July 25, 2012 - 05:12 PM

Wait............ I must be dreaming...... Did I hear DS say his engine lives again? :dancingbanana: Great to hear, and I too have bought from that business & was very pleased!

i know , this seems like a bad dream

When you say "it roared to life", are you trying to tell me that you have internal combustion?

It can't be.

Gasoline internal combustion engines require an ignition source. This is usually delivered in the form of a spark....

DS, that is fantastic news! I just know you did a big dance around the garage. Jumping up & down like you just hit the lottery.
Very happy to hear your long struggle is over. Still driving me nuts why the aftermarket ones didn't. You might want to call the company you got thefrom and relate the story, they may not know that they aren't direct replacements.

Or you have a picky engine... ;)

i spoke with a kohler dealer and told him my problem and he was saying that the aftermarket ones may not have a diode or transistor that is needed . i think i will call TEW and let them know what is going on and what i did to fix the problem.
i did jump up and down and leave out a big war hoop when she fired up. i amso happy that it is running now. im gonna go out when i get home tomorrow from workand let it run for a while just to make sure it working right.
  • MH81 said thank you

#9 KennyP ONLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2253
  • 28,347 Thanks
  • 39,627 posts

Posted July 25, 2012 - 05:45 PM

I'm so happy for you! I have been lurking along with this. But I didn't have any input, so I just watched.

#10 Guest_rat88_*

Guest_rat88_*
  • Guests
  • Member No: 0
  • 0 Thanks

Posted July 25, 2012 - 06:59 PM

this might be more suited to the gilson forum, but I have dropped a but load on mags for an old H16 with a briggs cast iron single 16.
points plunger was worn out and I wanted to change it over to a SSI. bought a SS "replacement coil"... no spark. $45
I then did some research and found out the magnets on the flywheel are reverse polarity
then I found the stock replacement $55 and a megafire II $35. after lots of wasted time, I finally got it to hit by reversing the leads on the mega fire. then the carb started pissing on the floor (while running), tried to shut it off by the switch and it kept running. pulled the wires off the mega fire and it died. I fixed the carb and tried to restart it, hits TDC and locks up tighter than hell. If I pull the plug wire, it cranks fine. So I pulled that one out of the rotation (last year). I just picked up a runner '71 gilson 16 gear tractor real cheap and plan on swapping motors. Might fix the old one when it isnt 106f and I have a higher tolerance of BS

any ideas on the firing problem, let me know.
thanks

#11 dogsoldier OFFLINE  

dogsoldier
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 316 Thanks
  • 490 posts

Posted July 26, 2012 - 01:47 PM

rat88 sorry im not able to help. you may want to start a thread cause you will get more help that way.

#12 middleageddeere OFFLINE  

middleageddeere

Tacos!

• Member No: 2033
  • 243 Thanks
  • 1,082 posts

Posted July 27, 2012 - 02:35 AM

Yeah, you need a thread on that one...wow. That sounds complicated and it could get messy!

#13 dogsoldier OFFLINE  

dogsoldier
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 316 Thanks
  • 490 posts

Posted July 27, 2012 - 08:08 AM

i called TEW yesterday and let them know the problem i had with the 3rd ignition module. they said they was having the same problem with some tecumseh coils also. so the problem wasnt with my tractor but brand new coils being bad from the factory.
they are sending a tag so i can send both modules i have back for full refund.
  • olcowhand said thank you

#14 JDBrian OFFLINE  

JDBrian

Super Moderator

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2507
  • 9,574 Thanks
  • 14,136 posts

Posted July 27, 2012 - 08:13 AM

Full refund! That's good news, but I don't think all that stress and frustration is refundable. Too bad you had to go through all this.

#15 dogsoldier OFFLINE  

dogsoldier
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 316 Thanks
  • 490 posts

Posted July 27, 2012 - 09:58 AM

Full refund! That's good news, but I don't think all that stress and frustration is refundable. Too bad you had to go through all this.

but the good thing is we know it wasnt my tractor and they found they have bad stock, which isnt there fault.

on the plus side i just ran it 25 min. ,shut it off for 10 min. and it fired right back up and ran another 20 min. now all that is left is to find 2 tires for the front and put it all back together.