Nominations for Tractor of the Month
Garden Tractors and Parts on eBay

Photo
- - - - -

Sickle Bar Mower

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
3 replies to this topic

#1 backwoods OFFLINE  

backwoods
  • Member No: 8613
  • 2,060 Thanks
  • 2,433 posts

Posted July 24, 2012 - 10:22 AM

i found http://elmira.craigs...3158856292.html thos today i was wondering if anyone has ever seen one of these before and if so how well do they work?

#2 Reverend Blair OFFLINE  

Reverend Blair

Tractorholic

• Member No: 1659
  • 501 Thanks
  • 952 posts

Posted July 25, 2012 - 06:12 AM

Not sure about that particular model, but the walk-behinds with sickle mower generally work very well, especially in long grass. The sections (blades) can be a little hard to find, depending on size, but they are usually available.

For $200, I'd buy it.

#3 MH81 ONLINE  

MH81

Proud to be Deplorable

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 802
  • 27,210 Thanks
  • 28,584 posts

Posted July 25, 2012 - 06:54 AM

As long as there is no air gap between the cutting surfaces, it'll do a decent job. There are usually "stops" that the sickle bar section rides against to keep it from moving backwards, neglect or heavy use will wear these and allow the section to move back, usually causing it to rise and not cut the grass.

Also check the arm that does the back and forth, most have a ball and socket pivot there, if much slop, it will eventually need replaced.

:ditto: on the blades and whatnot becoming harder to find, email the fella for the model number and do a few minutes research pricing the normal wear & replace items. Guards, knives, stops, pivots, etc.

#4 backwoods OFFLINE  

backwoods
  • Member No: 8613
  • 2,060 Thanks
  • 2,433 posts

Posted July 25, 2012 - 10:11 AM

ok thanks for the input ill give him a call and go from there