Gtractor

The Tractor Hoarder

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 782
  • 6,588 Thanks
  • 3,902 posts

Posted July 24, 2012 - 07:55 AM

With this heatwave everyones air-co is doing double duty. I Found this yesterday afternoon during a routine check of componets and ran to the hardware store to get parts but didn't change it out until this morning. I also replaced a questionable wire inside the unit so as to avoid any problems. That is why I waited - I had to pull the unit out of the window. None of the burnt area was there a week ago. If you run a window air conditioner please keep an eye on the plug and check it often to see if it is hot to the touch. Be safe out there!!
This is the old plug.

Attached Thumbnails

• burnt.JPG

• MH81, IamSherwood, KennyP and 3 others have said thanks

#2 Cvans ONLINE  

Cvans

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 5412
  • 4,473 Thanks
  • 5,009 posts

Posted July 24, 2012 - 08:51 AM

Good subject. Also keep those condensing coils clean and the fan motors oiled. Pull the filter once a month and clean it. These three items can drastically increase the life of your air conditioner and lower your electric bill substantially.
  • Gtractor and HDWildBill have said thanks

#3 HDWildBill OFFLINE  

HDWildBill

Freedom is not Free. Thank those in uniform for your freedom.

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 6354
  • 8,697 Thanks
  • 8,555 posts

Posted July 24, 2012 - 09:51 AM

Good advice. Along with Chris' advice keep the evaporator coils clean as well.

#4 dogsoldier OFFLINE  

dogsoldier
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 9589
  • 316 Thanks
  • 490 posts

Posted July 24, 2012 - 10:00 AM

we had a old a/c that did the very same thing. we didnt know that the plug had burnt till we was getting ready to move. we got rid of it and bought a new one. the new a/c has a circuit breaker built into the plug.

#5 JDBrian OFFLINE  

JDBrian

Super Moderator

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2507
  • 9,574 Thanks
  • 14,136 posts

Posted July 24, 2012 - 10:06 AM

Good catch on the plug Kris. You should also check your receptacle. That heat would also have been conducted into the contact of the receptacle and the wiring connected to it.I've seen the receptacles overheat and start melting back the insulation on the house wiring. Those molded plugs are prone to failures like that as they age. I've seen that happen a lot of times over the years. My dad, who has been in the refrigeration business for 50+ years calls those portable AC units "Window Shakers".

#6 powerking56 OFFLINE  

powerking56

Collector of stuff

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 359
  • 907 Thanks
  • 1,805 posts

Posted July 24, 2012 - 10:54 AM

Good you found the bad plug, that could have lead to way bigger issues. Brian is right, if you haven't already, check the receptacle and wiring as well.

#7 Gtractor ONLINE  

Gtractor

The Tractor Hoarder

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 782
  • 6,588 Thanks
  • 3,902 posts

Posted July 24, 2012 - 02:14 PM

Thanks guys!
I checked the receptacle this morning and it looks good inside but the face of it has been warm and the plastic is slightly discolored so I will be replacing it as well. I do keep the unit clean and oiled. I am meticulous on service of the air-co and furnace - always have been. Even my tractors don't get this much care. :spanka:

#8 MH81 ONLINE  

MH81

Proud to be Deplorable

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 802
  • 27,249 Thanks
  • 28,599 posts

Posted July 24, 2012 - 06:11 PM

REALLY GLAD YOU CAUGHT THAT BEFORE IT CAUGHT ITSELF.

It's amazing how many discolored outlets and plugs we see when delivering appliances. Especially with 220 ranges & dryers. Just a little bit of resistance causes heat and begins the aging process faster. I hear of several electrical issues (smoke, fire, bad stuff) every year.

It doesn't hurt to pull them once in a while & check.
  • HDWildBill said thank you

#9 Cvans ONLINE  

Cvans

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 5412
  • 4,473 Thanks
  • 5,009 posts

Posted July 24, 2012 - 07:04 PM

I do keep the unit clean and oiled.

You are one of the few who do and you won't regret it. Even a lot of people in the heating and cooling field seem to neglect their own equipment until it starts to act up.
  • Gtractor said thank you

#10 HDWildBill OFFLINE  

HDWildBill

Freedom is not Free. Thank those in uniform for your freedom.

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 6354
  • 8,697 Thanks
  • 8,555 posts

Posted July 24, 2012 - 08:42 PM

You are one of the few who do and you won't regret it. Even a lot of people in the heating and cooling field seem to neglect their own equipment until it starts to act up.

Kind of like the mechanic's car. I was down at our local Indy (Independent Motorcycle repair shop) yesterday and Randy was telling me what he needed to do to his bike but he said when he get's done dealing with everyone else's problems he doesn't feel like messing with his bike.

#11 MH81 ONLINE  

MH81

Proud to be Deplorable

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 802
  • 27,249 Thanks
  • 28,599 posts

Posted July 24, 2012 - 08:45 PM

Kind of like the mechanic's car. I was down at our local Indy (Independent Motorcycle repair shop) yesterday and Randy was telling me what he needed to do to his bike but he said when he get's done dealing with everyone else's problems he doesn't feel like messing with his bike.

Like my Grandma always used to say, "The Cobbler's kids are the last ones with shoes"
  • HDWildBill said thank you

#12 IamSherwood OFFLINE  

IamSherwood

Elf guardian

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2066
  • 8,379 Thanks
  • 7,696 posts

Posted July 24, 2012 - 10:11 PM

Great advice Kris. Thanks. Too often, we are caught up in our busy lives, and overlook the
obvious simple things. During this exceptionally hot summer, all of our cooling units are
working overtime, and canditates for a bad situation.

Lets keep bumping this thread guys.
  • Gtractor said thank you

#13 Michiganmobileman OFFLINE  

Michiganmobileman

Old Tractor Addict

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 5678
  • 1,235 Thanks
  • 1,842 posts

Posted July 25, 2012 - 08:56 PM

Glad to see you caught it before it became more trouble for you. I have seen lots of people running window airs with the same trouble, some even worse. Was that on its own dedicated circuit?

I want to add as a general comment for those of you with central air. I have been on several calls this beastly summer where the lack of air flow has been the cause of the units not cooling. A few with registers in rooms shut off, a few with extremely dirty filters, and one with the decorative wood floor registers that just restricted the air too much. Most of these people got away with their respective issues in years past during normal hot spells that last a few days but when those hot days turn into weeks and months our AC units need as much air flow as we can give them.
My 2 cents :)
  • olcowhand and HDWildBill have said thanks