Nominations for Tractor of the Month
Garden Tractors and Parts on eBay

Photo
- - - - -

What did you do WITH your tractor today? ie: plowing, hauling, tilling, etc.

• Please log in to reply
3080 replies to this topic

#1066 Tinkerer OFFLINE  

Tinkerer

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 259
  • 18 Thanks
  • 200 posts

Posted May 12, 2011 - 09:55 PM

Today I took the Bolens 1600H with the tiller and went to a friends house and enlarged their garden for them and also made a new spot so they can plant there blueberry bushes. It is fun to get seat time and also to be helping out some friends.

#1067 Tinkerer OFFLINE  

Tinkerer

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 259
  • 18 Thanks
  • 200 posts

Posted May 14, 2011 - 06:59 AM

Well the Bolens 1600H and I did some more tilling yesterday. I went to my in-laws and tilled there garden. After the tilling was done I switched over to the 48" mowing deck and help my mother in-law mow there lawn. It didn't take long to mow with two riders mowing.

#1068 KennyP ONLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2253
  • 28,343 Thanks
  • 39,622 posts

Posted May 14, 2011 - 01:49 PM

Put the deck on the Cub 108 and mowed some with it. Since I hadn't used it for mowing in a while, I was surprised a how quiet it was. I guess the new muffler is doing it's job. Plus the deck is not as noisy as the MTD's. If I put a wider gate in (which I have), I can use it for the front yard also.

#1069 massey driver ONLINE  

massey driver

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 75
  • 1,072 Thanks
  • 1,443 posts

Posted May 14, 2011 - 06:38 PM

I used the MF GC 2300 to lift and carry the mmm decks out of winter storage,sure beats trying to move them around by hand,way easier on my back.Larry

Attached Thumbnails

• Ranger cab 007 (Small).jpg
  • Ranger cab 008 (Small).jpg

#1070 JDBrian OFFLINE  

JDBrian

Super Moderator

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2507
  • 9,574 Thanks
  • 14,136 posts

Posted May 15, 2011 - 06:52 AM

I took advantage of the dry day yesterday to scarify the driveway. I used my homemade scarifier which is a rake made of 24 pieces of 1/2" threaded rod bolted to a 4' piece of 2"angle. This is bolted to the frame of a 3 point dirt scoop and loaded down with a couple hundred pounds. I pull it with a JD 2320 with 320lbs of wheel weight. I do this 2 or 3 times ayear. It keeps the driveway free of weeds and looking good. I sometimes follow up by reversing my 5'rear blade and dragging it to smooth and grade it but I ran out of time last night.
scarifier 2.jpg

Attached Thumbnails

• Scarifier 1.jpg
  • Driveway scarified.jpg

#1071 olcowhand OFFLINE  

olcowhand

Red Tractor Nut & Diesel Addict

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 20
  • 35,555 Thanks
  • 29,815 posts

Posted May 19, 2011 - 04:55 PM

Got the Massey "2055" out & tilled some more garden. Gonna have to do some work on it, as the governor isn't responding quite right. Plus the other day she didn't wanna crank via the key switch, so I jumped the solenoid. Today she fired from the switch, but when I went to shut her down in the shed, first I noticed the lights were on. Checked the key switch position & in "lights off" position. Then she wouldn't shut off. So I just snipped the 12V supply wire from battery to kill it & will have to go back later & fix the problem.

#1072 grnspot110 ONLINE  

grnspot110

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 829
  • 3,292 Thanks
  • 2,395 posts

Posted May 19, 2011 - 06:40 PM

Used the 74-112 & the (NTM) 10P cart to haul some plant & supplies out back for transplanting, also hauled a load of mulch the one apple tree. ~~ grnspot

#1073 MH81 ONLINE  

MH81

Proud to be Deplorable

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 802
  • 27,206 Thanks
  • 28,581 posts

Posted May 20, 2011 - 09:53 PM

Put the dozer blade on the GT5000, box blade on the back. Moved and smoothed 4-5 ton of gravel into the front yard around our steps and flower bed. We've been having drainage issues since they did some road work last summer and this spring really drove the point home that something needed done.

The Craftsman really made short work of it, I need to get a smaller blade so I get more seat time :D

#1074 WQDL753 OFFLINE  

WQDL753

Bolensholic

• Contributor
  • Member No: 1407
  • 59 Thanks
  • 301 posts

Posted May 21, 2011 - 09:46 PM

Pulled around the little dump wagon today hauling mulch from the free wood chip pile my tree service buddy dropped off for me...
Gotta make the place look nicer so I can sell it. :bigrofl:

#1075 MH81 ONLINE  

MH81

Proud to be Deplorable

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 802
  • 27,206 Thanks
  • 28,581 posts

Posted May 23, 2011 - 02:06 AM

A couple of months ago, my buddy asked if Ryan would come over and plow/disc his garden for a couple of bucks. I asked and Ryan said he'd do it for the seat time. LOL.

Loaded last night, over there this morning by 9... Took Ryans MF10, my GT5000, and my Allis with the tiller.

When we got there the grass was wet... He said it had rained last night. Didn't rain at my house (for once)...

Figured we'd try it anyways, no dice. I tried with the Craftsman and didn't get far easy, Ryan did a little better with the ags, but still could do a pass without getting stuck. I even hooked the 5000 out in front and we both got stuck.

Long story short, Ryan shot the breeze with my friend and helped rake the lawn in the bad spots while I tilled. I would like to have had him do it, but that machine is just too much for him, it's a little tough for me to keep under control. Can be temperamental on the clutch and you have yo be prepared.

He still paid Ryan a $20 and flipped me some gas money for Dads truck. It would've been nice for him to do it all, but thank goodness I had the tiller or we'd have been there all day struggling with mud.

#1076 JD DANNELS OFFLINE  

JD DANNELS

Tractorholic

• Member No: 2011
  • 3,786 Thanks
  • 3,907 posts

Posted May 23, 2011 - 02:56 PM

Graduation party i nWest Des Moines messed up yesterday.
Friday and Saturday morning we got 4" of rain so no garden work.
Saturday afternoon I put the power bagger on the 318 and mowed the lawn. 6 full bags mulched two rows of tomatoes.

#1077 olcowhand OFFLINE  

olcowhand

Red Tractor Nut & Diesel Addict

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 20
  • 35,555 Thanks
  • 29,815 posts

Posted May 23, 2011 - 03:03 PM

Have a patch of thin busted concrete floor in one of our silage pits. Needed to clean the muck from the muddy busted hole. Big payloader bucket would just do more damage, so got my MF1855 & used it's small FEL to clean it all out. Then brought a bucket of gravel down with the payloader & used the little Massey to spread the gravel into the hole & smooth it all down. This little tractor/loader combo is as handy as a big tractor!

#1078 wvbuzzmaster ONLINE  

wvbuzzmaster

Squeaky Wheel

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1792
  • 4,492 Thanks
  • 7,341 posts

Posted May 23, 2011 - 03:17 PM

Have a patch of thin busted concrete floor in one of our silage pits. Needed to clean the muck from the muddy busted hole. Big payloader bucket would just do more damage, so got my MF1855 & used it's small FEL to clean it all out. Then brought a bucket of gravel down with the payloader & used the little Massey to spread the gravel into the hole & smooth it all down. This little tractor/loader combo is as handy as a big tractor!

Good deal Daniel in extra seat time. :D

#1079 Texas Deere and Horse OFFLINE  

Texas Deere and Horse

RED Wild Hogs, Horses & Deeres

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1435
  • 14,464 Thanks
  • 15,392 posts

Posted May 23, 2011 - 03:20 PM

Some times Smaller is better. LOL, thats what I've always heard:laughingteeth:

#1080 wvbuzzmaster ONLINE  

wvbuzzmaster

Squeaky Wheel

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1792
  • 4,492 Thanks
  • 7,341 posts

Posted May 23, 2011 - 03:24 PM

I actually tilled with the Gilson yesterday when Dad and I got back from our trip (6 hour drive back). It went just as bad as Alan and Ryan' garden event actually. It started but it bucked and kicked the whole time the tiller was in the ground. With the fenced in garden I have to back across the "ditch" the tiller makes every time I stop. Guess how many times I got stuck... every!! Then it was stalling out every 10 feet running the tiller, so Dad and I finally decided we had lifed the manual lift tiller enough (he helps to lift/lower that heavy pita) so we gave up and he finished it with the walk behind tiller.

PS: This will be the LAST time I till with that Gilson. Next season Dad and I will find a better system for plowing/tilling the garden. Might just take the fence down so I don't have to repack what I just till all the time. Whatever the solution we will find it. What does everyone else do? Fence up or down??