Nominations for Tractor of the Month
Garden Tractors and Parts on eBay

Photo
- - - - -

What did you do WITH your tractor today? ie: plowing, hauling, tilling, etc.

• Please log in to reply
3080 replies to this topic

#76 olcowhand ONLINE  

olcowhand

Red Tractor Nut & Diesel Addict

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 20
  • 35,602 Thanks
  • 29,831 posts

Posted March 07, 2010 - 04:08 PM

I didn't do anything with mine, but helped my BIL get his plow working proper on his Massey 1010 today. It's virgin sod ground, so a pretty good pull, but his problem was plow was setup wrong. Got it dialed in & now he's good to go. He didn't want any pics taken though, due to he had some problems & furrows weren't so good at first. In his defense, the spot had mounds which without a gage wheel made it difficult keeping plow from going so deep she spun out. It's a 10" plow & it would easily go 8+ inches deep when tractor came off a high spot.
  • scottbolens41 said thank you

#77 olcowhand ONLINE  

olcowhand

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • 35,602 Thanks
  • 29,831 posts

Posted March 07, 2010 - 04:12 PM

Are you guys messing with the quote tags or is something messing up, olcowhand has a quote bubble missing and Larry has an end tag? I just wanna ask before I go digging through any bugs.

I wanted to quote both guys, so copied & pasted. No problems, well maybe with us, but not the site!:smile1:

#78 olcowhand ONLINE  

olcowhand

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • 35,602 Thanks
  • 29,831 posts

Posted March 07, 2010 - 04:19 PM

Are you guys messing with the quote tags or is something messing up, olcowhand has a quote bubble missing and Larry has an end tag? I just wanna ask before I go digging through any bugs.

I patched them up George. Just took a second to figure how.

#79 NUTNDUN OFFLINE  

NUTNDUN

Lost in Cyber Space

• Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 3
  • 10,266 Thanks
  • 15,618 posts

Posted March 07, 2010 - 04:24 PM

I patched them up George. Just took a second to figure how.

Alright buddy, I didn't know if the site was goofing up or what and just wanted to double check.

#80 Chuck_050382 OFFLINE  

Chuck_050382

Tractorholic

• Contributor
  • Member No: 32
  • 267 Thanks
  • 1,498 posts

Posted March 08, 2010 - 08:30 AM

I smoothed a little gravel, bull dozed some brush piles, and turned a compost pile with my Ford yesterday.

#81 Bill56 OFFLINE  

Bill56

Tractorholic

• Member No: 60
  • 839 Thanks
  • 2,179 posts

Posted March 08, 2010 - 07:09 PM

I had cabin fever really bad today. So I decided to go out and put the battery charger on the Wheel Horse 953. It's been sitting since the first part of November, so I figured the little GT battery would be completely dead. Just for the heck of it, I bumped the starter and it turned over a bit. So I pumped the hand lever on the fuel pump a few times, cranked the starter for a few seconds, and it started up! I was really surprised. I figured with 4 month old gas, and sitting for that long, it was a real long shot for it to start.

I was going to try and move the Bolens 1050, into the garage, so I could see about changing the pto belts. It's been sitting outside, since December, when the pto belt broke while I was plowing snow. With no hydraulics to get the loader raised off the ground, I just had to back it up in front of the garage, hoping we might have a warm day this winter for changing the belt. That never happened, so it just sat there all winter under a tarp. I couldn't even get the tarp off today. It's on the north side of the garage and frozen in three inches of solid ice. Hopefully, this summer, I'll have a little shed built, so the "toys" can have a room of their own!

#82 massey driver ONLINE  

massey driver

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 75
  • 1,072 Thanks
  • 1,443 posts

Posted March 09, 2010 - 08:36 AM

it just sat there all winter under a tarp. I couldn't even get the tarp off today. It's on the north side of the garage and frozen in three inches of solid ice. Hopefully, this summer, I'll have a little shed built, so the "toys" can have a room of their own!

:mecry:Yeah you need to have a dry spot for them,don't want them to get to upset and not want to work for you.:rolling::rolling:Larry.

#83 Bill56 OFFLINE  

Bill56

Tractorholic

• 839 Thanks
  • 2,179 posts

Posted March 09, 2010 - 06:29 PM

It was supposed to be raining here, this afternoon, but the sun is out and it's about 55 degrees. I decided to see if I could free the Bolens 1050 from under it's tarp... at least enough so I could hook up the battery charger if it needed it. Took a little while to chop through the ice, but I finally got the tarp off.
I managed to get this tractor running again, last summer, after it had been sitting, without ever being run, for around 30 years! Bolens 1000 gave me lots of help in getting the carburetor linkage corrected, along with a few other problems. It still needs a lot of work, but the GT repair budget has been pretty much at zero. When I started working on this, last year, there was no spark. I wanted to buy new points, but just filed and set the old ones, till I had a spark. Didn't replace the plug either. It's an old AC brand plug. How old are the plug and points... who knows? My dad and I bought this tractor, used, sometime in the mid 70's and we never changed either of those items. If you read back to my last post, you already know that this has been sitting outside all winter.

When I pushed the starter button, just a few minutes ago, there was no pause, it just started running like as if turning on a light!
I just sort of stood there in amazement for a while.

Sorry for the long story, but I thought this tractor deserved a little praise today! Bill

#84 Bolens 1000 ONLINE  

Bolens 1000

DR. Bolens

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 7
  • 12,679 Thanks
  • 17,200 posts

Posted March 09, 2010 - 07:00 PM

It was supposed to be raining here, this afternoon, but the sun is out and it's about 55 degrees. I decided to see if I could free the Bolens 1050 from under it's tarp... at least enough so I could hook up the battery charger if it needed it. Took a little while to chop through the ice, but I finally got the tarp off.
I managed to get this tractor running again, last summer, after it had been sitting, without ever being run, for around 30 years! Bolens 1000 gave me lots of help in getting the carburetor linkage corrected, along with a few other problems. It still needs a lot of work, but the GT repair budget has been pretty much at zero. When I started working on this, last year, there was no spark. I wanted to buy new points, but just filed and set the old ones, till I had a spark. Didn't replace the plug either. It's an old AC brand plug. How old are the plug and points... who knows? My dad and I bought this tractor, used, sometime in the mid 70's and we never changed either of those items. If you read back to my last post, you already know that this has been sitting outside all winter.

When I pushed the starter button, just a few minutes ago, there was no pause, it just started running like as if turning on a light!
I just sort of stood there in amazement for a while.

Sorry for the long story, but I thought this tractor deserved a little praise today! Bill

There's nothing like the sound of a perfectly running Wisconsin engine:worshippy2:
Glad to hear you had no troubles.
I cant wait to start up my 850 once the snow melts a little more. Its currently in a shed but the snow is still blocking the way to it LOL

#85 Bill56 OFFLINE  

Bill56

Tractorholic

• 839 Thanks
  • 2,179 posts

Posted March 09, 2010 - 07:46 PM

I still can't believe it started like that. I mean, no sputter, no missing, just started purring away!

#86 NUTNDUN OFFLINE  

NUTNDUN

Lost in Cyber Space

• Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 3
  • 10,266 Thanks
  • 15,618 posts

Posted March 09, 2010 - 09:18 PM

It is nice when they fire off without being finicky especially after sitting for so long.

I didn't do anything with mine other then grab the 12 by the tire chains to scooch it over a little bit so I could get in the pickup to go for a ride LOL

#87 Chuck_050382 OFFLINE  

Chuck_050382

Tractorholic

• Contributor
  • Member No: 32
  • 267 Thanks
  • 1,498 posts

Posted March 11, 2010 - 09:17 AM

Not my GT, but we used Dad's Case 444 to haul some fire wood, and drag away the brush after I cut down some trees for my Grandma.

#88 massey driver ONLINE  

massey driver

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 75
  • 1,072 Thanks
  • 1,443 posts

Posted March 12, 2010 - 09:51 AM

Sadly didn't do to much with mine yesterday.I did however start them up and move them from the garage[had my car outside] back into the heated shop.I had my truck in the shop working on changing the pinion brgs and axle seals etc; so the shop was being used.Couldn't use the tractors to do anything as its been melting here for the last week and almost all the snow is gone so it's wet,sloppy,and soft all over.Don't like this time of the year as can't get any seat time,don't want to rut up the yard.Larry

#89 Bolens 1000 ONLINE  

Bolens 1000

DR. Bolens

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 7
  • 12,679 Thanks
  • 17,200 posts

Posted March 12, 2010 - 09:53 AM

Yesterday, the 1050 got a bath. And I started up the Gravely 430 and let her run for about 15 minutes. I was surprised when I just turned the key and it turned over about 5 times and fired right up! It was not started since late november

#90 Bill56 OFFLINE  

Bill56

Tractorholic

• 839 Thanks
  • 2,179 posts

Posted March 12, 2010 - 03:27 PM

Sadly didn't do to much with mine yesterday.I did however start them up and move them from the garage[had my car outside] back into the heated shop.I had my truck in the shop working on changing the pinion brgs and axle seals etc; so the shop was being used.Couldn't use the tractors to do anything as its been melting here for the last week and almost all the snow is gone so it's wet,sloppy,and soft all over.Don't like this time of the year as can't get any seat time,don't want to rut up the yard.Larry

A heated shop... I envy you on that one! I am surprised you are saying it is muddy there. Is it early for that? I figured your ground would be frozen for a while yet.