Nominations for Tractor of the Month
Garden Tractors and Parts on eBay

Photo
- - - - -

What did you do WITH your tractor today? ie: plowing, hauling, tilling, etc.

• Please log in to reply
3086 replies to this topic

#826 Reverend Blair OFFLINE  

Reverend Blair

Tractorholic

• Member No: 1659
  • 501 Thanks
  • 952 posts

Posted January 28, 2011 - 02:59 PM

That sounds...interesting...DanO. Are you okay after that fall? Blacking out is no minor thing.

I cleaned my driveway, the driveways of the neighbours on both sides, part of the lane on the other side of neighbour, and the driveway of the woman across the road. Then I went down the road and cleared Frank's place out. The only driveway I didn't clear was the one of the guy directly across the road. I wonder if he's figuring out that he shouldn't have threatened my cats?

We sure got a lot of snow. Apparently about 10 or 12 centimetres fell, but everything was drifted in, no matter which direction it faces. The patch in front of my garage was almost 18" deep.

#827 mjodrey OFFLINE  

mjodrey

Accumulator

• Contributor
  • Member No: 92
  • 2,343 Thanks
  • 13,481 posts

Posted January 28, 2011 - 03:08 PM

I cleared driveways most of the morning,we got about 25 cm yesterday.

#828 olcowhand ONLINE  

olcowhand

Red Tractor Nut & Diesel Addict

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 20
  • 35,652 Thanks
  • 29,840 posts

Posted January 28, 2011 - 04:06 PM

I ended up worn out, but I got seat time for sure. My loader I use for putting sawdust in the cow freestalls is down with bad clutch. Stalls were needing more sawdust & all I have that will fit in there is my MF1855 w?FEL. I wasn't sure I'd have room to get the angle needed for the bucket to dump all the sawdust into the stalls, but it "just" did. Had to have my son rake it further in & spread it, but wasn't a big deal. Anyway, one scoop did one stall, and there were 92 of them! Was fun for the first 40 or so, but then was more like a job, but a job that got done!:yelclap: The lot had just been scraped, but of course a thin layer of manure still there, so when I'd back out, I could "power slide" the front around, then hammer down the hydro & go. I may build a bucket extension to make it hold more, but more so to make the sawdust reach further in the stalls, now that I know it will make a good backup sawdust machine.
I really love it when one of my "toys" saves the day in a real farm situation. Dad poked fun at my loader when I built it saying "what can the thing even do?". We've needed my little FEL on several occasions getting a farm chore done. Really, I don't consider it a toy at all any more. It does some pretty heavy duty work on a regular basis.

#829 Reverend Blair OFFLINE  

Reverend Blair

Tractorholic

• 501 Thanks
  • 952 posts

Posted January 28, 2011 - 04:52 PM

I cleared driveways most of the morning,we got about 25 cm yesterday.

You guys have been getting hammered his year, haven't you?

#830 Reverend Blair OFFLINE  

Reverend Blair

Tractorholic

• 501 Thanks
  • 952 posts

Posted January 28, 2011 - 05:07 PM

I ended up worn out, but I got seat time for sure. My loader I use for putting sawdust in the cow freestalls is down with bad clutch. Stalls were needing more sawdust & all I have that will fit in there is my MF1855 w?FEL. I wasn't sure I'd have room to get the angle needed for the bucket to dump all the sawdust into the stalls, but it "just" did. Had to have my son rake it further in & spread it, but wasn't a big deal. Anyway, one scoop did one stall, and there were 92 of them! Was fun for the first 40 or so, but then was more like a job, but a job that got done!:yelclap: The lot had just been scraped, but of course a thin layer of manure still there, so when I'd back out, I could "power slide" the front around, then hammer down the hydro & go. I may build a bucket extension to make it hold more, but more so to make the sawdust reach further in the stalls, now that I know it will make a good backup sawdust machine.
I really love it when one of my "toys" saves the day in a real farm situation. Dad poked fun at my loader when I built it saying "what can the thing even do?". We've needed my little FEL on several occasions getting a farm chore done. Really, I don't consider it a toy at all any more. It does some pretty heavy duty work on a regular basis.

Good to hear the Massey worked for you. Sounds like you have a lot more fun with that job than ever did. It was all straw bales, pitchforks and shovels for us. Grandpa had one of those buckets that ran on a rail hung from the rafters. What a hateful system that was...shovel up from the gutter (we had stansions, not freestall) into this bucket, then push it out back and empty it. Then move it with the FEL.

Of course he only milked 26 cows. I'm kind of glad he didn't milk more.

#831 mjodrey OFFLINE  

mjodrey

Accumulator

• Contributor
  • 2,343 Thanks
  • 13,481 posts

Posted January 28, 2011 - 05:28 PM

You guys have been getting hammered his year, haven't you?

Actually this was the first major snow storm that we've gotten this year,that is, where I live.They have called for a few bad storms here,but most of them weren't as bad here in the Valley as they were elsewhere.

#832 Reverend Blair OFFLINE  

Reverend Blair

Tractorholic

• 501 Thanks
  • 952 posts

Posted January 28, 2011 - 06:18 PM

In that case you can have some of mine, Maynard.

#833 mjodrey OFFLINE  

mjodrey

Accumulator

• Contributor
  • 2,343 Thanks
  • 13,481 posts

Posted January 28, 2011 - 07:03 PM

In that case you can have some of mine, Maynard.

Oh that's quite alright.:DI am sure I will get my share in February .

#834 Tinkerer OFFLINE  

Tinkerer

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 259
  • 18 Thanks
  • 200 posts

Posted January 28, 2011 - 09:04 PM

We got 4" of snow yesterday and since I woke up late for work it had to wait till this afternoon to get moved. I worked the Bolens 1600H with the blade and then cleaned up with the Bolens 1220 with the snowblower. I only spent about 30 minutes using both tractors but it was and it gave me some needed seat time.

#835 MH81 ONLINE  

MH81

Proud to be Deplorable

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 802
  • 27,317 Thanks
  • 28,635 posts

Posted January 29, 2011 - 06:50 PM

I plowed snow for the first time this week. Combination of not much accumulation & less time than I needed.

I won't be doing that again. It warmed up and that wet 5" pushed harder that 10" of fluffy stuff.

I really worked her tonight. But it was SEAT TIME!!! :D

#836 tractormike OFFLINE  

tractormike

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 119
  • 162 Thanks
  • 1,488 posts

Posted January 30, 2011 - 11:24 AM

I went out this morning to give the snowblower a test on some piles of snow. It works great again after the new bearings and new belt :yelclap:. We are supposed to get 2 snow falls this week, monday and wendseday so I wanted to make sure I was ready for them.

Edited by tractormike, January 30, 2011 - 11:24 AM.
spelling

#837 Operator OFFLINE  

Operator

• Member No: 1871
  • 8 Thanks
  • 27 posts

Posted January 30, 2011 - 04:47 PM

Took it a little easy today, after repainting the floorboards on my new to me C-195 then getting them on I glued the floor mats back on.

Randy

#838 powerking56 OFFLINE  

powerking56

Collector of stuff

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 359
  • 907 Thanks
  • 1,805 posts

Posted January 31, 2011 - 12:03 PM

Tried the Sears SS/16 with loader on the snow banks yesterday, had hoped to move some back to make room for the next storm due this week. Not happening. Not enough traction with the ag tires and no chains. Tried to put on an old set of chains from Dad's JD 112, too big, oh well, I figured that would be the case, now I know for sure I need a set of chains.... The snow will still be there for me next weekend.....
P.

#839 fordmustang1984 OFFLINE  

fordmustang1984

Tractorholic

• Member No: 27
  • 23 Thanks
  • 428 posts

Posted January 31, 2011 - 08:59 PM

Today all I did was move some snow to make room for our impending storm. That's about it, but I did get some entertainment yesterday though. My younger sister had 2 of her friends over and for what ever reason, I had 3 13 year old girls asking to drive my tractor. So now decide I'm going to enjoy this and make it hard for them. I take them over to one of my 73 mf12 g's and say "if you can push in the clutch, release the parking brake, and put the varidrive in 3rd, then they can drive it". Now bear in mind that i know this tractor is the hardest one I have to do this on for me, 5 ft 9 140 pounds. These 90 pound girls can't make it budge. So after getting a laugh out of that, I take them to the other 73 12g, and tell them what I did. They are mad but still want to drive, so I fire it up and them all jump. Them my sister gets on and goes forwards and back ten feet pretty well. Her first friend manages to run into another tractor in a snow bank, topple the fire pit, and run into a snow bank. After I get it out, the other friend who's the girlie girl gets on, drives it into a snow bank, then gets it backed up pretty well. After that I parked it and show them the hydro drive sitting 10 feet away and get the "Alex! Why couldn't we drive that one?"Of course I have to say that it has no weights chains and s mounted mower deck so it would not have worked at all in the snow if k even got it running in this cold. So it was a pretty good day, and funny too.

#840 tractormike OFFLINE  

tractormike

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 119
  • 162 Thanks
  • 1,488 posts

Posted January 31, 2011 - 09:01 PM

I just got done blowing about 3 inches of light fluffy snow from the driveway and parking area. It's still snowing a bit so maybe more seat time tomorrow night to do final clean up.