Nominations for Tractor of the Month
Garden Tractors and Parts on eBay

Photo
- - - - -

What did you do WITH your tractor today? ie: plowing, hauling, tilling, etc.

• Please log in to reply
3084 replies to this topic

#796 olcowhand OFFLINE  

olcowhand

Red Tractor Nut & Diesel Addict

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 20
  • 35,630 Thanks
  • 29,836 posts

Posted January 13, 2011 - 09:26 AM

I had to move my MF 1855 out of the shed to be able to move the JB to the shop for the diesel project. I didn't think the Onan was going to fire up. Was around 20F here also & she just cranked & cranked......then finally caught! I used the FEL to move the JB into the shop. Then I found a 300lb heifer had gotten knocked over into the concrete feeder trough. I used the FEL to lift the bugger out of there. It's happened before. If one butts another sideways, the flip completely upside down & their backs wedge into the feeder & they become a turtle on it's back! lol

#797 Meangreen OFFLINE  

Meangreen

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 31
  • 94 Thanks
  • 300 posts

Posted January 13, 2011 - 10:02 AM

I had to move my MF 1855 out of the shed to be able to move the JB to the shop for the diesel project. I didn't think the Onan was going to fire up. Was around 20F here also & she just cranked & cranked......then finally caught! I used the FEL to move the JB into the shop. Then I found a 300lb heifer had gotten knocked over into the concrete feeder trough. I used the FEL to lift the bugger out of there. It's happened before. If one butts another sideways, the flip completely upside down & their backs wedge into the feeder & they become a turtle on it's back! lol

Now that would have made a great video clip:bigrofl:

#798 olcowhand OFFLINE  

olcowhand

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • 35,630 Thanks
  • 29,836 posts

Posted January 13, 2011 - 10:11 AM

Now that would have made a great video clip:bigrofl:

Not really bro, as I don't think the audio would be appropriate for public. I "may" have used a "few" unsavory word scattered here & there!:smilewink:

#799 mjodrey OFFLINE  

mjodrey

Accumulator

• Contributor
  • Member No: 92
  • 2,343 Thanks
  • 13,481 posts

Posted January 13, 2011 - 12:49 PM

Not a GT, but the title didn't state that it had to be. I plowed snow with my 6640 (Ford ) today.I have a small snow removal business ( 15 driveways ),so I was quite busy this morning from about 4:00 A.M. until 9:30 A.M. some of these driveways/yards are fairly large so it takes a while even with the 8 foot bucket I have on the tractor.

#800 Reverend Blair OFFLINE  

Reverend Blair

Tractorholic

• Member No: 1659
  • 501 Thanks
  • 952 posts

Posted January 13, 2011 - 03:56 PM

I got my new rear blade, so I cleaned the driveway. Usually I'd wait until it quit snowing, but not when I have a new toy. I cleared the neighbour-boy's driveway too, because the last time it snowed he got home from work and his girlfriend had him out there shovelling. He does commercial chain-link fencing for a living (right now they're building storage cages in some condo complex) and I know exactly how tiring moving that stuff around by hand can be.

Anyway, the only rear blade I used before was a home-built that had two settings...backwards with a bit of an angle or backwards with a little more of an angle. It did a good enough job, but by the time you got off that old 8N your neck and spine were screaming from looking backwards and bouncing around in the cold while keeping one foot near the clutch and the other near the brakes with one hand on the wheel and the other on the hydraulics.

With this new one I tried every frontwards setting and none of the backwards ones. I haven't played with the top-link yet, since it seemed close enough for today. Tomorrow I'll see how changing that works. I'm thinking I could stand to make it a little more aggressive.

#801 grnspot110 OFFLINE  

grnspot110

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 829
  • 3,292 Thanks
  • 2,395 posts

Posted January 13, 2011 - 05:06 PM

Went over to the neighbors & blew the snow off her drive with the 74-112 w/37A blower. Took around 45 minutes. ~~ grnspot110

#802 olcowhand OFFLINE  

olcowhand

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • 35,630 Thanks
  • 29,836 posts

Posted January 13, 2011 - 06:36 PM

Used my MF1855 w/FEL to sit the diesel into the Bush Hog JBI chassis. I also used it to move my engine lift from the farm shop to my personal shop.

#803 massey driver OFFLINE  

massey driver

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 75
  • 1,073 Thanks
  • 1,444 posts

Posted January 13, 2011 - 07:39 PM

Used the Allis 716H to blow the snow today.It was only -10c so didn't mind using it with out any cab.It worked like it was supposed to.While half way through I noticed something on the ground,it was the side dust cover off a brg.I stopped and saw that one of the tensioner pulleys was on its way out.I used it that way untill I was done,guess I'll have to buy a new one tommoro.Larry

#804 caseguy OFFLINE  

caseguy

Connoisseur of Rusty Junk

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 906
  • 1,624 Thanks
  • 5,600 posts

Posted January 13, 2011 - 08:11 PM

I spent about 2 1/2 hours plowing out my driveway. There was about 8" of snow there which has accumulated over the past few days. It's been kinda hectic around here, so I was happy to finally get some seat (therapy) time!

#805 Reverend Blair OFFLINE  

Reverend Blair

Tractorholic

• 501 Thanks
  • 952 posts

Posted January 13, 2011 - 08:29 PM

Used the Allis 716H to blow the snow today.It was only -10c so didn't mind using it with out any cab.It worked like it was supposed to.While half way through I noticed something on the ground,it was the side dust cover off a brg.I stopped and saw that one of the tensioner pulleys was on its way out.I used it that way untill I was done,guess I'll have to buy a new one tommoro.Larry

It was nice today wasn't it? Of course it's supposed to be -34 by Saturday night.

#806 tractormike OFFLINE  

tractormike

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 119
  • 162 Thanks
  • 1,488 posts

Posted January 15, 2011 - 09:43 PM

I was out blowing yesterday's 3 inches of snow with the Snapper 1650 when all of a sudden the blower quit working. The shorter of the 2 belts that had been a little worn blew apart. I have a new replacement belt hanging in the garage. Fixing the blower will be on tomorrows list of things to do. I finished moving snow today with the Farmall H and the loader. The snow piles are getting pretty big around here this year!

#807 grnspot110 OFFLINE  

grnspot110

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 829
  • 3,292 Thanks
  • 2,395 posts

Posted January 15, 2011 - 10:28 PM

Used the 420 to blade a path to the woodshed today & brought back a cart load. ~~ grnspot110

Attached Thumbnails

• HPIM1936 - Copy.JPG

#808 Reverend Blair OFFLINE  

Reverend Blair

Tractorholic

• 501 Thanks
  • 952 posts

Posted January 17, 2011 - 01:40 PM

What did I do with my tractor today? Well, I froze my toes and my nose and my cheeks for the first time this year. It's cold out there.

First thing this morning I pulled Mrs. Rev out of the ditch. Not really her fault...you couldn't tell where the driveway ended and the ditch began because the snowplow guy knocked the post out. Anyway, that was pretty easy, at least once I remembered where I left the chain. Then I came in the house and had some coffee.

Then Mrs. Rev phoned and said she forgot her armband for her RSI, so I ran that down to her and went and bought some smokes, onions, and milk.

Came home and parked on the road and cleared the driveway. I'm not sure how much snow we actually got because everything is drifted in. I'd guess at about 4" of snowfall, but a couple of the drifts were somewhere between a foot and 18" deep. The west side of the driveway was between 8 and ten inches deep in most places. The east side ranged from no snow to a couple of inches. I was almost done when I got the tractor stuck. Just drove it a little too far into the ditch and it wouldn't back out. I wish I could use the same reason that excuses my wife, but you could see where the ditch was by this time. I wasn't paying enough attention and going a little too fast though. Anyway, I pulled the tractor out with the truck and parked both.

It was while I was doing that that I realized I couldn't feel my toes. My winter boots (kevlar toes and insulated) were in the basement and, being lazy, I just pulled on my old summer steel-toed boots. Now my toes have that tingly feeling as the feeling comes back.

#809 massey driver OFFLINE  

massey driver

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 75
  • 1,073 Thanks
  • 1,444 posts

Posted January 17, 2011 - 02:37 PM

I blew snow with the tractor and having the cab was sure a nice thing.It took me a couple of hrs today to do it all.I used the tractor to pull the car out of the garage so that I could put my truck inside to keep the snow and ice off it.I was by myself so I pulled the car a bit then went and turned the steering wheel and pulled a bit more then turned the steering wheel a bit more continuing to do that untill I had the car where I wanted.I'am glad to have the truck running as its blowing so bad out there that its driffting in so bad on the road that I'll have to break trail so the wife can get home after work today.Plus the little guy has Basketball practise after school and I'll need to pick him up.{ of course its 1/2 hr before} the wife is off work so it'll work out good as I'll need to break trail anyway. Who knows when the plow will come they do the town folks first.We usually get done a couple days after.Larry

#810 Bill56 OFFLINE  

Bill56

Tractorholic

• Member No: 60
  • 839 Thanks
  • 2,179 posts

Posted January 17, 2011 - 03:18 PM

Sounds like you guys are having an interesting time moving the snow. Thanks for sharing the stories. We are supposed to get some cold weather at the end of the week, but probably not as bad as what you are having way up north.