Nominations for Tractor of the Month
Garden Tractors and Parts on eBay

Photo
- - - - -

What did you do WITH your tractor today? ie: plowing, hauling, tilling, etc.

• Please log in to reply
3083 replies to this topic

#691 Tinkerer OFFLINE  

Tinkerer

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 259
  • 18 Thanks
  • 200 posts

Posted November 28, 2010 - 09:53 PM

I used my 1600H to give my 4 kids and my sisters 4 kids tractor rides this afternoon. All but 1 enjoyed the rides. My youngest, he is 13 months, was not happy that he couldn't ride with Daddy more. I enjoy making the kids smile.

#692 MH81 ONLINE  

MH81

Proud to be Deplorable

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 802
  • 27,269 Thanks
  • 28,607 posts

Posted December 02, 2010 - 09:23 PM

In anticipation of some Lake Effect Snow, I decided to finish up a couple of small tasks. Put the small trailer & etc away & pulled the Custom 6 to it's short term parking spot with the GT5000. The 6 is gonna have to ride it out in the cold for this winter. I'll buy it a tarp tomorrow, tho.:D

#693 grand OFFLINE  

grand

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 8
  • 1,632 Thanks
  • 1,909 posts

Posted December 03, 2010 - 11:43 AM

Took the Huskee that the fellow left behind when we bought the place and the little utility wagon and cleaned up some limbs in the front yard. Heavy rain and wind storm the other day had quite a few branches down. Nothing very big but I wanted it cleaned up to make things look better. Also moved 3 piles of leaves from the front yard to the garden.

#694 nra1ifer OFFLINE  

nra1ifer

Tractorholic

• Contributor
  • Member No: 383
  • 669 Thanks
  • 1,530 posts

Posted December 03, 2010 - 06:33 PM

Last week, I had plowed and cultivated my garden spot which is about 35' x 150', and it's on a gentle slope. While we were gone for Thanksgiving, we had a tremendous amount of rain that ran through the garden area. Normally, I plow and cultivate across the slope to keep water from running straight down the slope, but last week I didn't. I didn't realize we were expecting rain. So, that mistake allowed me some more seat time on my Gt6000 this afternoon. I used my Agri-Fab cultivator, then decided to get the 10" Brinly plow to make several cuts across the slope, about every 10-12 feet or so apart. That should keep the dirt from eroding so much. Lubed the plow share and the cultivator shanks, and put both away for the winter.

Then, I took the mower deck off of my Craftsman PGT 9000, scraped the underside, power washed it, lubed it a bit, and put it away for the winter. The only thing I should need any of the tractors for through the winter will be to pull my utility cart full of wood for the wood stove. UNLESS, I find a snow blade for one of them, then I can play in what little snow we get here, compared to my northern GT friends.

Gonna go early tomorrow morning to get about a cord of FREE oak wood for the stove!

#695 tractormike OFFLINE  

tractormike

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 119
  • 162 Thanks
  • 1,488 posts

Posted December 04, 2010 - 08:59 PM

I got to use my Snapper 1650 with the blower today. There is a video in the members video section of her hard at work. We got about 5 inches of snow overnight. The old girl did quite well and I really like the hydraulic lift and the hydro tranny! I hung 2 garden tractor rear wheel weights on the mast of my three point blade and with the 8 gallons of windshield washer fluid in each rear tire and 2 link chains on my turf tires I had NO problem with traction going up my steep gravel driveway. I could be going down the driveway, stop and backup with no problems. There was no ice build up under the snow but it worked very well for now.

#696 fordmustang1984 OFFLINE  

fordmustang1984

Tractorholic

• Member No: 27
  • 23 Thanks
  • 428 posts

Posted December 04, 2010 - 11:37 PM

Today was the first real GT work i have done in weeks. I got my Simplicity 700 out with its backwards clucth setup out and used it to pull my moms 93 Towncar up the driveway to pull the motor. i used the 700 because the chains on the 12 dont play nice with my driveway without snow/ice. At maybe 5/8 throttle, the little bugger pulled the car without breaking a sweat! Well almost, the drive belt is on the tensioner backwards since the belt is too long, and i have to push the clutch in to go and let off to stop, so the belt rubbed on itself, and burned a bit, bit never let go! The only weight on the tractor was some fluid in the tires that are as old and worn as the machine itself, and a car battery hanging off a 2 foot boom on the rear lift hitch. not bad for a 7 horse power long stroke Briggs if i do say so myself.

#697 caseguy OFFLINE  

caseguy

Connoisseur of Rusty Junk

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 906
  • 1,624 Thanks
  • 5,600 posts

Posted December 05, 2010 - 08:44 AM

...not bad for a 7 horse power long stroke Briggs if i do say so myself.

The original Idea behind "1 horsepower" was that was the energy required to lift a given load (I can't remember the weight) through a 100' lift. I believe that the HP ratings on most small engines are a measure of "input energy". By the time you factor in friction and an efficiency, the rating for gas engines is higher than the actual output energy that they deliver. That being said, even in the worst case scenario if all of those deductions equaled 50%, 3 1/2 Horses could likely pull that car up the driveway. Just a little something I mostly remember from School.

#698 poncho62 ONLINE  

poncho62
  • Member No: 42
  • 631 Thanks
  • 1,219 posts

Posted December 05, 2010 - 09:04 AM

I thought it was the amount of energy to lift 100 pounds one foot.........I'm probably wrong, but thats what is stuck in my head.

#699 tractormike OFFLINE  

tractormike

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 119
  • 162 Thanks
  • 1,488 posts

Posted December 05, 2010 - 10:25 AM

The old original horse power rating was the energy needed to lift 33,000 pounds one foot in one minute. James Watt was among the first to help establish a standard horse power rating.

#700 WQDL753 OFFLINE  

WQDL753

Bolensholic

• Contributor
  • Member No: 1407
  • 59 Thanks
  • 301 posts

Posted December 05, 2010 - 06:14 PM

Well we finaly got about 5" of heavy wet stuff on the ground. So, it was time to get out and practice. :bounce::bounce::bounce:There was a bit of a learning curve for me, and I know it was probably worst case for a single stage thrower, but I sure did have fun!!!
Ended up doing my driveway, half the yard I think, 3-400 yards of sidewalk, and one of the neighbors driveways. :dancingbanana:
Things I learned, I still need to do some carb/governer adgustments, in these conditions 4th or 5th gear worked best. I had the skids set for 1/2" but started throwing gravel, so I just moved them down as far as they would go. Things started working much better then :p.
The wife stepped out and took some pics while I was still experimenting in low range.
IMG_2219.jpg
And now I know that even if the shut clogs, or it packs to tight for the auger to bite, it will still push a pretty big pile out of the way. :beerchug:

Attached Thumbnails

• IMG_2215.jpg

#701 MH81 ONLINE  

MH81

Proud to be Deplorable

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 27,269 Thanks
  • 28,607 posts

Posted December 05, 2010 - 08:00 PM

Got 6" this afternoon.
Talked my daughter into standing out there for 1 pass.
Sorry it's so dark.

http://s265.photobuc...nt=PICT0234.mp4

Edited by MH81, December 05, 2010 - 08:08 PM.

#702 NUTNDUN OFFLINE  

NUTNDUN

Lost in Cyber Space

• Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 3
  • 10,266 Thanks
  • 15,618 posts

Posted December 05, 2010 - 08:14 PM

Look at you guys getting to have fun in the snow with your garden tractors already. I am almost jealous. :D

#703 MH81 ONLINE  

MH81

Proud to be Deplorable

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 27,269 Thanks
  • 28,607 posts

Posted December 05, 2010 - 08:18 PM

Look at you guys getting to have fun in the snow with your garden tractors already. I am almost jealous. :D

I'd say it's headed your way, but IDT there's enough wind to push a Lake Effect all the way to you guys.

My cousin lives about 20 miles North & she has 14+ on the ground.

#704 NUTNDUN OFFLINE  

NUTNDUN

Lost in Cyber Space

• Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 3
  • 10,266 Thanks
  • 15,618 posts

Posted December 05, 2010 - 08:21 PM

I'd say it's headed your way, but IDT there's enough wind to push a Lake Effect all the way to you guys.

My cousin lives about 20 miles North & she has 14+ on the ground.

I don't think we have ever gotten lake effect snow here. I know when the NorEasters roll up through they hammer us. There is one coming but I guess they are calling for us to just get rain. Maynard might get hit pretty hard though.

#705 Bolens 1000 OFFLINE  

Bolens 1000

DR. Bolens

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 7
  • 12,680 Thanks
  • 17,200 posts

Posted December 05, 2010 - 08:25 PM

Well we finaly got about 5" of heavy wet stuff on the ground. So, it was time to get out and practice. :bounce::bounce::bounce:There was a bit of a learning curve for me, and I know it was probably worst case for a single stage thrower, but I sure did have fun!!!
Ended up doing my driveway, half the yard I think, 3-400 yards of sidewalk, and one of the neighbors driveways. :dancingbanana:
Things I learned, I still need to do some carb/governer adgustments, in these conditions 4th or 5th gear worked best. I had the skids set for 1/2" but started throwing gravel, so I just moved them down as far as they would go. Things started working much better then :p.
The wife stepped out and took some pics while I was still experimenting in low range.
[ATTACH=CONFIG]7892[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]7893[/ATTACH]
And now I know that even if the shut clogs, or it packs to tight for the auger to bite, it will still push a pretty big pile out of the way. :beerchug:

Yeah these single stage take a few attempts to get the hang of it. They do tend to hate the wet snow which I why I also have the blade because when I want to get the driveway plowed before I leave in the morning I dont have the time to stop an unclog the chute LOL.
Once we get some "dry" snow the fun begins! you can usually throw snow a good 20+ feet with the Bolens :bounce:
Thanks for the pics. Looks like you had some seat time!

Edited by Bolens 1000, December 05, 2010 - 08:34 PM.