Nominations for Tractor of the Month
Garden Tractors and Parts on eBay

Photo
- - - - -

What did you do WITH your tractor today? ie: plowing, hauling, tilling, etc.

• Please log in to reply
3084 replies to this topic

#346 Bill56 OFFLINE  

Bill56

Tractorholic

• Member No: 60
  • 839 Thanks
  • 2,179 posts

Posted June 24, 2010 - 10:20 PM

I mowed with the old Sears SS-14 at my mom's place tonight. I was just about finished, when a plume of smoke came out from under the hood. The engine had begun to use a little oil, and smokes just a bit on start up, so I wasn't totally surprised to see the extra smoke tonight. But thinking about having to retire this tractor made me feel sad. I've been running it for 39 years, and it certainly doesn't owe me a thing. It has been a very faithful servant!
I decide to try and finish the rest of the lawn, but the smoke kept getting worse, and I saw a few sparks blowing out too. Then I realized that the smoke did not smell at all like oil. I stopped, opened the hood and found out that a twig, with a bunch of leaves, had lodged itself against the exhaust pipe and was burning like a big fat cigar! After some sudden words of exclamation, I ran to the nearest tree, broke off a twig and used it to push my little fire out onto the ground.
I guess the old Sears will run a little longer :bounce:

#347 olcowhand ONLINE  

olcowhand

Red Tractor Nut & Diesel Addict

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 20
  • 35,649 Thanks
  • 29,840 posts

Posted June 26, 2010 - 12:20 PM

Yesterday I took starter off my Massey 1010 diesel. The solenoid was crapped out, so peeled it's can open & found a wire broken. Bad part is that it broke down into the wrappings & on the very last turn. I unrolled about 40' of wire, stuck plenty out for the repair, then put the spool in my lathe on slowest speed & re-wrapped the coil. Put the starter back on today & she cranks over just fine. New part isn't nearly as much as I thought though....just $41. but then I saved $41 plus shipping costs!

#348 chopperfreak2k1 OFFLINE  

chopperfreak2k1

Tractorholic

• Member No: 300
  • 17 Thanks
  • 431 posts

Posted June 26, 2010 - 02:42 PM

I mowed with the old Sears SS-14 at my mom's place tonight. I was just about finished, when a plume of smoke came out from under the hood. The engine had begun to use a little oil, and smokes just a bit on start up, so I wasn't totally surprised to see the extra smoke tonight. But thinking about having to retire this tractor made me feel sad. I've been running it for 39 years, and it certainly doesn't owe me a thing. It has been a very faithful servant!
I decide to try and finish the rest of the lawn, but the smoke kept getting worse, and I saw a few sparks blowing out too. Then I realized that the smoke did not smell at all like oil. I stopped, opened the hood and found out that a twig, with a bunch of leaves, had lodged itself against the exhaust pipe and was burning like a big fat cigar! After some sudden words of exclamation, I ran to the nearest tree, broke off a twig and used it to push my little fire out onto the ground.
I guess the old Sears will run a little longer :bounce:

i'm glad to hear the Sears will live to work another day!!!

#349 chopperfreak2k1 OFFLINE  

chopperfreak2k1

Tractorholic

• Member No: 300
  • 17 Thanks
  • 431 posts

Posted June 26, 2010 - 02:44 PM

Yesterday I took starter off my Massey 1010 diesel. The solenoid was crapped out, so peeled it's can open & found a wire broken. Bad part is that it broke down into the wrappings & on the very last turn. I unrolled about 40' of wire, stuck plenty out for the repair, then put the spool in my lathe on slowest speed & re-wrapped the coil. Put the starter back on today & she cranks over just fine. New part isn't nearly as much as I thought though....just $41. but then I saved $41 plus shipping costs!

Olcowhand, is there anything you CAN'T fix? i could have never fixed that starter, kudos to you my friend!

#350 olcowhand ONLINE  

olcowhand

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • 35,649 Thanks
  • 29,840 posts

Posted June 26, 2010 - 06:01 PM

Olcowhand, is there anything you CAN'T fix? i could have never fixed that starter, kudos to you my friend!

Been twice divorced, so no, I can't fix everything, but then sometimes you're better off NOT fixing something! lol Seriously, there are many things I can't fix, but if I think I can, I go for it. I don't think it has as much to do with being born with a high IQ than it does with being determined & stubborn. I used to do cycle/atv repair on the side, and at least 2 of the guys I used to repair their bikes for now do the same for a living. When I can sense someone has the ability to fix their own stuff, I urge them to learn, and for these 2 guys it paid off. Plus I quit that repair business, so they didn't have me to do it anymore! lol
Any of you guys....if it's a part that will have to be replaced instead of repaired, then go for it & attempt it yourself. You have not a thing to lose if it's heading for the trash bin. First study the part to see HOW it works, then you can understand what you need to do to get it working again. Lots of stuff I go to repair do hit the trash bin, but I'll be danged if I won't at least try. One thing that will help, and I am serious....drop the calculators & use your head to figure things. People depend on modern stuff to think for them too much....the brain goes on permanent vacation!

#351 nra1ifer OFFLINE  

nra1ifer

Tractorholic

• Contributor
  • Member No: 383
  • 669 Thanks
  • 1,530 posts

Posted June 28, 2010 - 10:12 PM

Used the PGT9000 and my trailer to move a heavy cast iron two-bowl sink from the trunk of my wife's car to my work shop. Heavy sucker!!! The sink is an almost-new Kohler with a white porcelain coating, and even came with a very nice faucet and sprayer. I got it FREE from my father-in-law who runs a 2nd-hand shop. I built a frame/stand tonight out of FREE treated 4x4's and 2x4's to put the sink in. I plan on using it to wash produce from the garden, and I can catch the rinse water in 5-gallon buckets to dump back in the garden. I will make a connection for my garden hose to attach to the faucet. That little project will make my bride happy..... won't be bringing bugs and dirt in to the kitchen sink!

Not bad for a scrounger!

Edited by nra1ifer, July 01, 2010 - 09:29 AM.

#352 olcowhand ONLINE  

olcowhand

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • 35,649 Thanks
  • 29,840 posts

Posted June 29, 2010 - 08:57 AM

Forgot to post yesterday that I got the Massey "2055" out & tilled up the green beans. Twas a dismal year for the beans as we got very few after planting & replanting 3 times over. 1st heavy spring rains washed most away, then next planting nearly drowned again, plus some washed out. Then the last just didn't do well from the extreme heat...then bugs moved in. Got tired of looking at them, so tilled them under.

#353 nra1ifer OFFLINE  

nra1ifer

Tractorholic

• Contributor
  • Member No: 383
  • 669 Thanks
  • 1,530 posts

Posted July 01, 2010 - 09:30 AM

Used the PGT9000 and my trailer to move a heavy cast iron two-bowl sink from the trunk of my wife's car to my work shop. Heavy sucker!!! The sink is an almost-new Kohler with a white porcelain coating, and even came with a very nice faucet and sprayer. I got it FREE from my father-in-law who runs a 2nd-hand shop. I built a frame/stand tonight out of FREE treated 4x4's and 2x4's to put the sink in. I plan on using it to wash produce from the garden, and I can catch the rinse water in 5-gallon buckets to dump back in the garden. I will make a connection for my garden hose to attach to the faucet. That little project will make my bride happy..... won't be bringing bugs and dirt in to the kitchen sink!

Not bad for a scrounger!

Got some pictures this morning:

Attached Thumbnails

• DSCF2209..jpg
  • DSCF2211..jpg
  • DSCF2212..jpg

#354 olcowhand ONLINE  

olcowhand

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • 35,649 Thanks
  • 29,840 posts

Posted July 01, 2010 - 09:41 AM

That portable sink is a great idea! Yep, bringing produce in sure can carry the little buggers in with it for sure!

#355 Bolens 1000 ONLINE  

Bolens 1000

DR. Bolens

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 7
  • 12,698 Thanks
  • 17,206 posts

Posted July 01, 2010 - 03:59 PM

Nice setup you got there :thumbs:

#356 Bill56 OFFLINE  

Bill56

Tractorholic

• Member No: 60
  • 839 Thanks
  • 2,179 posts

Posted July 01, 2010 - 11:34 PM

That sink is a good idea!

#357 Bolens 1000 ONLINE  

Bolens 1000

DR. Bolens

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 7
  • 12,698 Thanks
  • 17,206 posts

Posted July 03, 2010 - 03:16 PM

Today I got the 1st coat on the Bolens rear wheel weights. Waiting for it to dry so I can put on the 2nd coat :bounce:

#358 fordmustang1984 OFFLINE  

fordmustang1984

Tractorholic

• Member No: 27
  • 23 Thanks
  • 428 posts

Posted July 03, 2010 - 07:44 PM

Yesterday i hauled a load of loam up the street from the neighbors to clean up the yard. Today a pulled the roof materials out of the weeds and we started to finish the roof over the tractor shed.

#359 Katria OFFLINE  

Katria

• Member No: 764
  • 0 Thanks
  • 12 posts

Posted July 04, 2010 - 09:29 AM

Tilled the yard with my JD...

#360 NUTNDUN OFFLINE  

NUTNDUN

Lost in Cyber Space

• Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 3
  • 10,266 Thanks
  • 15,618 posts

Posted July 05, 2010 - 11:43 AM

This post is a couple days late but on Saturday dad and I got the sickle bar mower mounted on the Bolens 800. Still have a little bit to do to actually run it. The bolts for the belt adjustment are seized and don't have my tools to get them broke loose so for now it is just for show.