Nominations for Tractor of the Month
Garden Tractors and Parts on eBay

Photo
- - - - -

What did you do WITH your tractor today? ie: plowing, hauling, tilling, etc.

• Please log in to reply
3083 replies to this topic

#1666 MH81 ONLINE  

MH81

Proud to be Deplorable

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 802
  • 27,269 Thanks
  • 28,606 posts

Posted May 13, 2012 - 10:54 PM

Mowed with the Craftsman GT5000, then put the Brinly Planter on and did the last two rows of Sweet Corn. Hoping that by staggering plantings, we'll have it for longer in the year.

#1667 Texas Deere and Horse OFFLINE  

Texas Deere and Horse

RED Wild Hogs, Horses & Deeres

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1435
  • 14,464 Thanks
  • 15,392 posts

Posted May 13, 2012 - 11:01 PM

Fired up the WH Auto 14 and mowed the grass around the house. Looks like I will be mowing for a few more weeks thanks to the rains we've been getting.

#1668 Chuck_050382 OFFLINE  

Chuck_050382

Tractorholic

• Contributor
  • Member No: 32
  • 267 Thanks
  • 1,498 posts

Posted May 14, 2012 - 08:25 AM

Mowed Friday night and Saturday with My dad's zero turn since my GT 5000 still has it head off. Then I switched to brig tractor work and used the Ford jubilee to move dirt for the flower bed, hauled clay out and topsoil in using the rear scoop, The scoop kept me from having to use the wheel barrel as much. Still moved a lot of dirt with the shovel though.

Sunday I dug a 4' round hole roughly 3' deep to plant a new tree, Back filled with good topsoil.

#1669 Reverend Blair OFFLINE  

Reverend Blair

Tractorholic

• Member No: 1659
  • 501 Thanks
  • 952 posts

Posted May 14, 2012 - 06:46 PM

Friday I mowed with the LA105.

Saturday I hooked the s-tine cultivator up to the 420 and gave the garden a final going over before I planted taters, onions, carrots, peas, tomatoes and a couple of peppers. After that I devised a makeshift water cart from the water tank and pump from an old camper and the little Rubbermaid garden wagon so we could water.

Sunday I hauled a couple yards of topsoil in the half ton (dump truck isn't ready yet) and made some flower beds for Mrs. Rev. Then we transplanted trees using the 420. Had to yank one out using the FEL and a chain...not sure how that one will do, but it couldn't stay where it was and I couldn't dig it up without dismantling the shed. After that I filled my water cart a couple times to water the garden and the trees.

Today was just more watering.

I'm really glad I hung onto that water tank and hand pump. It makes watering easy...just pump it a couple of time to get the water flowing, then sip on a beer until it's time to move it to the next plant.

#1670 Trav1s ONLINE  

Trav1s

Got points?

• Member No: 5472
  • 2,602 Thanks
  • 3,750 posts

Posted May 14, 2012 - 10:02 PM

Yesterday I mowed the lawn and did some work with the 10 cart. Old skool 110 with new skool cart. :smilewink:

Posted Image

Posted Image

#1671 HowardsMF155 OFFLINE  

HowardsMF155

Tractorholic

• Member No: 4243
  • 2,699 Thanks
  • 2,916 posts

Posted May 19, 2012 - 08:57 PM

After doing some work to the MF8 it was time to get to work. When mowing the grass I lead the way and handle the border trimming with my MF 12 hydro, and let one or the other of my boys follow behind with the 8 G. I also spent some time in the garden today tilling with my 1974 Gravely C-8. Later on in the day, I wanted to smooth and level the area where I have been parking the tractors, getting it ready to put down some wood for a floor. I also put the snow blade on the 12 hydro and used that to continue leveling the dirt where the floor will go. Since I had to move everything and had most every tractor I own out today, I lined them up for a photo shoot. I even included my kids!

tractors.jpg tractors2.jpg tractor3.jpg tractor4.jpg

Now, for anyone who has seen my posts before and knows about my youngest, even before I lined up the tractors he was going out of his mind. I noticed him wandering around the back yard and started getting pictures. This is what he was doing while the rest of the family "ooohed" and "aaahed" over the neighbors kitten:
0519121615.jpg 0519121619.jpg 0519121625.jpg
  • MH81 and KennyP have said thanks

#1672 olcowhand ONLINE  

olcowhand

Red Tractor Nut & Diesel Addict

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 20
  • 35,604 Thanks
  • 29,833 posts

Posted May 19, 2012 - 09:14 PM

After doing some work to the MF8 it was time to get to work. When mowing the grass I lead the way and handle the border trimming with my MF 12 hydro, and let one or the other of my boys follow behind with the 8 G. I also spent some time in the garden today tilling with my 1974 Gravely C-8. Later on in the day, I wanted to smooth and level the area where I have been parking the tractors, getting it ready to put down some wood for a floor. I also put the snow blade on the 12 hydro and used that to continue leveling the dirt where the floor will go. Since I had to move everything and had most every tractor I own out today, I lined them up for a photo shoot. I even included my kids!

tractors.jpg tractors2.jpg tractor3.jpg tractor4.jpg

Now, for anyone who has seen my posts before and knows about my youngest, even before I lined up the tractors he was going out of his mind. I noticed him wandering around the back yard and started getting pictures. This is what he was doing while the rest of the family "ooohed" and "aaahed" over the neighbors kitten:
0519121615.jpg 0519121619.jpg 0519121625.jpg

Howard, nice family....both the kids & machines!
  • HowardsMF155 said thank you

#1673 KennyP ONLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2253
  • 28,413 Thanks
  • 39,663 posts

Posted May 20, 2012 - 04:59 AM

Great looking at the pics. I think the youngest was trying them out for fit. Thanks for sharing!
  • HowardsMF155 said thank you

#1674 MH81 ONLINE  

MH81

Proud to be Deplorable

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 802
  • 27,269 Thanks
  • 28,606 posts

Posted May 20, 2012 - 07:03 AM

It was about that age that Ryan rode his for the first time. It was an MF8H and I rigged up a handle to the emergency brake lever & put a stop on the hydro handle. Went about 1 mile per year, speed wise, but the grin was contagious.

Enjoy the time while he's young, before you know it, he'll be 13 and it'll be hard to book time with him for anything.

#1675 maxedout OFFLINE  

maxedout
  • Member No: 9548
  • 37 Thanks
  • 90 posts

Posted May 20, 2012 - 09:41 AM

Funny Story about my John Deere 214, anyone who owns a 200 series knows it can be a pain to change the drive belts. First let me say it is! Well, Friday evening I got the Idea this had to be done so I did it and it took me a couple of hours of messing about. I'm slower than most because of health problems, I really have to ease around. While under the tractor, I of course needed a break, so I laid back looking at the transmission. Next I knew it was dark! That's love right there boys, napping under your tractor, it's the meds I told myself.

Saturday, a new day and being I had napped looking at the transmission, I of course then decided this would have to be serviced. I don't have no fancy lift or anything but what I do have is ramps that I used to put the tractor in to the work shed. This gives me a lot of room to get under the tractor and do a lot of different things, maybe too comfortable because It's cool and it never fails I get a little too relaxed.

At any rate, Saturday evening comes transmission service time so off to Advance Auto to pick up some gear oil. Let me tell you money for me is hard to come by so I am always very picky about spending a dime. In the John Deere's case I normally don't fuss or moan to bad (wife does) about spending any money so I bought the best gear oil they had. Cost me about $40 bucks and that was using my sons discount!

I also bought this neat looking transfer pump, it cost nearly $20 bucks by itself. DON'T and I repeat DON'T waste your money! Anyway, it's getting late when we get home so off I rush to change my cloths and put on my work jeans and my favorite work boots.

Get my stuff and get the ramps all sit up, back the tractor out and sit up the safety chain I use because once I had an old MTD roll off down on my leg it wasn't pretty. The block I used to wheel stop failed to keep it from rolling. Well, it worked until I got under the danged thing!

OK, so now I am all excited about the new pump, anyone who has ever replaced the gear oil in a 200 Series can tell you it's not an easy spot to get too. This pump and it's neat hoses will be perfect I think, so I read the directions for use, put it together and away I go putting the hose in the transmission port. Get it all set up and start to pump and every thing seems to be going really good. Gear oil is flowing into the transmission and whew this is easy I think!

Well, I noticed a leak starting at the base of the pump, soon the look was a steady stream of gear oil! Gosh I am wasting all this oil, I am about to yell at this thing and just as suddenly as My mouth opens this thing blows apart!

COVERS ME with Gear oil, covers my jeans, my boots, my arms and of course my pie hole! Not to mention all this gear oil is now all over me and NOT in my transmission!

Now you might think gear oil runs slow and I wouldn't have gotten it all over me but me being me let warm up a tad bit before I started this nightmare. I used a little heater I have, I always warm up oil some to make it easier to pour and you get about every last drop out of the bottles. Learned that at work, just be careful if you do that and not forget it and over heat it.

I guess some of you wouldn't think this is funny, but it is because when my wife saw me she laughed at me. She thought it was pretty funny me being covered in oil and one reason is because she told me that pump looked like a cheap made thing and wouldn't work. My wife has no notions of anything mechanical but she does have an eye for well made items.

I should have listened to her and bought a piece of hose it would have worked just as well but slower.

So today, what will I do with my tractor, well first I am going back to Advance Auto, 20 miles from here and returning that dumb pump. If they would and I will tell them they should replace my gear oil for free and buy me some new work jeans not to mention my work boots. My wife washed the jeans of course and cleaned up my boots but they're forever stained and have the strange stink of gear oil.

Now, who wants to wear jeans and boots that smell like the transmission of a John Deere to start with!

Me! Of course she has trashed the jeans but when she leaves later I will dig them out...and power wash them things!

Today, I ain't doing nothing with my tractors!

What will you do with yours?

Edited by maxedout, May 20, 2012 - 09:45 AM.

• tinner said thank you

#1676 HowardsMF155 OFFLINE  

HowardsMF155

Tractorholic

• Member No: 4243
  • 2,699 Thanks
  • 2,916 posts

Posted May 20, 2012 - 10:22 AM

It was about that age that Ryan rode his for the first time. It was an MF8H and I rigged up a handle to the emergency brake lever & put a stop on the hydro handle. Went about 1 mile per year, speed wise, but the grin was contagious.

Enjoy the time while he's young, before you know it, he'll be 13 and it'll be hard to book time with him for anything.

My dad was letting me drive a Ford Jubilee on his mother's farm when I was around 6 years old. I look at my kids and wonder what was he thinking, though my boys now seem quite capable of driving these garden tractors at ages 10 and 12. And like anything else, they get better with practice. My house sits on about 2/3rd acre, and there are numerous obstacles. At my late father's house there is over 2 acre's of land and much of it is wide open; I would have been much more comfortable with them driving at an earlier age there.

#1677 Cat385B ONLINE  

Cat385B

Therapy CAT

• Contributor
  • Member No: 8002
  • 11,704 Thanks
  • 8,894 posts

Posted May 20, 2012 - 10:49 AM

I am attempting to replace the tires on my Homelite T15H. The V61's with tubes on the front are done and back on. The Firestone R1's for the rear are waiting patiently for me to get turfs off the existing rims. First rear had to cut off, and I now have a solid strip of rubber stuck to the rim on both sides. Cleaned up with baking soda and white vinegar, now soaking with WD40 and PB.

I broke the beads of the fronts with my drill press. Removed bit, and positioned table so tire was a tight fit under the chuck. Push chuck down, and then work my way around. The rear didn't work, so I got out the 3/4 ton Chevy. No dice, the tire just folded up.

Pictures if I actually get it done.

#1678 IHCubGuy ONLINE  

IHCubGuy

Tractorholic

• Member No: 3438
  • 1,356 Thanks
  • 1,474 posts

Posted May 20, 2012 - 09:51 PM

On saturday I mowed down the one lot I take care of for a friend in Texas. Took a couple shots of the old 100 on the slope that I have to do. The pictures don't do justice to the true angle of the slope. That just happens to be a spot where I can get off the tractor. There is one spot inparticular on the lot that is steeper yet and I have to sit on the fender on that part.

Attached Thumbnails

• 100_2307 (Small).jpg
  • 100_2308 (Small).jpg

#1679 Cat385B ONLINE  

Cat385B

Therapy CAT

• Contributor
  • Member No: 8002
  • 11,704 Thanks
  • 8,894 posts

Posted May 20, 2012 - 10:26 PM

Pictures if I actually get it done.

The rears were stuck on well, but it's done.
May 2012 021.jpg May 2012 016.jpg
May 2012 017.jpg May 2012 019.jpg
May 2012 018.jpg

#1680 Chuck_050382 OFFLINE  

Chuck_050382

Tractorholic

• Contributor
  • Member No: 32
  • 267 Thanks
  • 1,498 posts

Posted May 21, 2012 - 07:07 AM

New tires look great Cat.