Nominations for Tractor of the Month
Garden Tractors and Parts on eBay

Photo
- - - - -

What did you do WITH your tractor today? ie: plowing, hauling, tilling, etc.

• Please log in to reply
3084 replies to this topic

#1651 wrbourget OFFLINE  

wrbourget

• Member No: 6649
  • 28 Thanks
  • 138 posts

Posted May 04, 2012 - 11:03 PM

We got that same coyote problem here too! I go out and hunt them now and then.
Yesterday I started making ditchs along one of the roads in to our place. I was using a back blade tilted and angled down and forward. It's going to be a slow job with my Craftsman 917- I'm using the Brinly box scraper blade with the end plates removed and a bracket bolted to the sleeve hitch lower right arm to tilt the blade. It works but slow. But hey that's just more seat time! :-)

I hear ya didn't get any snow then it got real dy so nothing was growing but now it just will not stop raining, gees when will i get some seat time, been trimming trees cutting wood and chipping, garden is plowed, just waiting for it to stop raining so i cut the grass, It's hurting my buisness to no one is buying any power equipment I bank on spring time to move this syuff.

#1652 dstaggs OFFLINE  

dstaggs

In Remembrance, RIP Dale

• RIP
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 228
  • 553 Thanks
  • 1,781 posts

Posted May 04, 2012 - 11:10 PM

Have had lot of Seat time this week Trying to Break the Dry Hard ground for our garden (which is late). This will be the last year for the hand lift on the 16/6 my Arms are about to fall off. Going to take the Electric one off the GT18 for next year.

#1653 Reverend Blair OFFLINE  

Reverend Blair

Tractorholic

• Member No: 1659
  • 501 Thanks
  • 952 posts

Posted May 05, 2012 - 06:32 AM

Put new blades on the LA 105 yesterday, then levelled the deck. i was hoping to get some mowing done today, but it's looking wet out there. Good thing too, it's been far too dry.

#1654 grnspot110 ONLINE  

grnspot110

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 829
  • 3,292 Thanks
  • 2,396 posts

Posted May 05, 2012 - 04:25 PM

Used the 70 I & 10P cart to haul some mulch to the veg. garden this morning. This afternoon I mowed the yard with the F525, then used the 70 I again to take the chipper/shredder to the chipping cage & back.

Then washed the 70 I. ~~ Lowell

#1655 JDBrian OFFLINE  

JDBrian

Super Moderator

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2507
  • 9,574 Thanks
  • 14,136 posts

Posted May 05, 2012 - 05:20 PM

Had a load of garden soil delivered today. The tandem truck had a hydraulic tailgate which swung out then lifted up out of the way as the load was dumped. This kept the soil in a very high pile and kept it out of the gravel as much as possible. I've never seen that before. It also doesn't slam down like the hinged ones. Anyway, I used the 2320 to make a berm of soil to plant shrubs. This is part of a larger landscaping project we are tackling. Logged close to 2 hours today.

#1656 Reverend Blair OFFLINE  

Reverend Blair

Tractorholic

• Member No: 1659
  • 501 Thanks
  • 952 posts

Posted May 06, 2012 - 09:00 AM

Yesterday was actually dry despite those threatening clouds in the morning, so I got the back mowed with the LA105. That included levelling the deck on the fly because apparently I've forgotten how to use a measuring tape. Does a nice job now though.

After that I moved the big trailer to the back and the tent trailer to the front with the 420. While was doing that, the guy down the alley asked if I could level his yard. It's a small yard, so I'll get it done sometime this summer. He offered money, but I think I'll do it for beer and future favours...he's a mechanic.

Then I tilled the garden again to kill any grass that might have crept in.

Finally I seeded grass on the path we use to drive in and out of the back, then dragged a harrow over it with the LA105. I still need a bunch of clay fill there, but I'm having trouble getting any and I want to fix the part closer to the yard first, so I figure grass seed is cheap and should help keep the mud down. I'm hoping we get some good rain today, since that part of the yard is too far away to water properly. So far we've just gotten enough of a sprinkling to make it too wet to work outside.

#1657 HowardsMF155 OFFLINE  

HowardsMF155

Tractorholic

• Member No: 4243
  • 2,699 Thanks
  • 2,916 posts

Posted May 08, 2012 - 02:18 PM

I'm not sure where to post this, but I sure want to share it! Any of you that have seen some of my posts know that my youngest, 2 yr. old Ryan, is a huge tractor fan. I decided today would be the day I took him to our local Massey dealer and let him wander around a "field of tractors". Well, you drive by the lot before you can turn in, and when he saw the tractors he started calling/crying "Tractor, tractor". Then, when I turned in and drove through the lot headed toward the parts store he started being happy "Tractor! Tractor!" We walked in, and he just kept bubbling "Tractor, tractor, tractor". So I asked the folks at the counter if we could wander through the lot and let him climb on the tractors. They said "Yes" (I don't think anyone could have said "No" at that point) and we wandered through the lot for over an hour. Two MF135s, a Farmall, numerous Kubotas, an MF 3120 with cab, a MF 1532, and some others. Several tractors had front loaders and he would run up to them and say "Dig, Daddy, Dig". It was great to see him so excited. Sorry, no pictures.
  • Chuck_050382 and tinner have said thanks

#1658 Chuck_050382 OFFLINE  

Chuck_050382

Tractorholic

• Contributor
  • Member No: 32
  • 267 Thanks
  • 1,498 posts

Posted May 08, 2012 - 02:27 PM

Howard, thanks for your story, My son will be 2 in August and Tractors are his favorite thing. I completely understand the "Tractor, tractor" because that's all I hear when Henry sees a tractor.

#1659 OldBuzzard ONLINE  

OldBuzzard

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 805
  • 6,482 Thanks
  • 4,634 posts

Posted May 11, 2012 - 06:03 PM

A number of my tractors got used today. :D :D :D

Used the 1886 and 1256 to move some attachments. Carrying a snowcaster with a FEL is sure a lot easer that 'rasslin it by hand'. A mower deck fit right nice on the Hang-N-Haul on the back of the 1256 too.

Fired up the CC LTX1045 and mowed the South and front yards. Grass was REALLY tall, and I was mowing pretty danged slow.

Put a new belt on my Haban Sickle-Mo, so I fired up the G10 and knocked down the weeds in the ditch out by the road. I took a look at the North yard, and the grass was even higher than the South yard's, so I figured what the heck.

Used the G10 and Sickle-Mo to 'mow' the North yard. It's not real pretty, but it's knocked down, and in a couple of days, I'll hit it again with the 1045.

Edited by OldBuzzard, May 11, 2012 - 06:04 PM.

#1660 grnspot110 ONLINE  

grnspot110

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 829
  • 3,292 Thanks
  • 2,396 posts

Posted May 11, 2012 - 09:10 PM

Not a "Garden Tractor", but I spent about an hour pushing brush, then 4 hour mowing at the farm with the JD 790 today! ~~ Lowell

#1661 maxedout OFFLINE  

maxedout
  • Member No: 9548
  • 37 Thanks
  • 90 posts

Posted May 12, 2012 - 12:20 PM

Yesterday, I mowed until the deck belt broke again, then I switched to the Cubby and finished the mow job. While I was at the Meadows Mills, I spent $30 bucks and just got all new belts for the 214 again. That's both deck belts and both Drive belts, JD asks about $60 bucks for one drive belt and I've read and read about using other belts. People say using other belts on the variation speed control is nothing but trouble. I disagree totally, JD doesn't make belts to best of my knowledge to start with they contract out and buy belts just like we the consumer. Get and exact replacement belt and I do not see any problems and in fact go on and say as long is all your parts are adjusted correctly you shouldn't be seeing any great issues. I've used belts that wasn't exact match and still got them working correctly!

Today, I plan on putting in the new throttle shaft bushings and if all goes well move on to rebuilding the carburetor on my Fourtrax. One at a time, cause no need in both being down at the same time. I'll use the JD to pull the fourtrax over to the shop if I get lucky so, I'm a pulling with my tractor today!

Gosh I dread the belt replacement on the 214 that's a pain in the butt and a lot of crawling around on the ground and lord knows as badly as I hurt. I might just lay there a while...

Last time I had trouble with one of the pulley's asking fussy and soaked it with PB blaster and took a nap right there! LOL Woke up and completed task on hand!

Now that is what you call love, sleeping with your GT rather than your wife!

#1662 olcowhand OFFLINE  

olcowhand

Red Tractor Nut & Diesel Addict

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 20
  • 35,648 Thanks
  • 29,840 posts

Posted May 12, 2012 - 03:12 PM

I used my MF1855 w/FEL to move the giant 620/720 decks away from my shed & onto a pallet so I could get my Yamaha 1100 out for a ride. Then before we got a chance to ride, it's started raining! Before the rain, I also used the loader to take Fred a 15gl drum of leftover farm chemical to spray his driveway gravel, then moved another drum up by my Jeep to take to my FIL tomorrow. I also unhooked my MF1010 from the grain auger to put her inside. Supposed to flood rain tomorrow starting late tonight. Just lighter rains till then.

#1663 wrbourget OFFLINE  

wrbourget

• Member No: 6649
  • 28 Thanks
  • 138 posts

Posted May 12, 2012 - 08:09 PM

Just mowed the yard with the L130 and the sunrunner, i got a bearing going on the deck of the 130, i got this tractor so i would have something that won't break down on me and safety was another reason. This will be the third time I've had a problem with it when i got it one of the coils were bad then the PTO clutch went now a deck bearing If it wasn't for that dang hill i would use my cub cadet to mow but if my butt leaves the seat i want the engine to stop.

#1664 Ron White OFFLINE  

Ron White

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 267
  • 123 Thanks
  • 124 posts

Posted May 12, 2012 - 09:02 PM

Went to the Western NY Spring Plow Day today, here is a short video.

http://s871.photobuc...ow Day 5-12-12/
  • MH81, Reverend Blair and KennyP have said thanks

#1665 MH81 ONLINE  

MH81

Proud to be Deplorable

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 802
  • 27,301 Thanks
  • 28,628 posts

Posted May 13, 2012 - 08:19 AM

Used the GT6000 to shorten some grass today, felt good to work her a little as it's been neglected for the most part since last fall. I did determine the noise from the deck isn't spindle bearings, but rather idler pullies going bad.

Also, got to drive the ferguson TO35 down into the woods at my parents. Spent some time with Ryan playing in the stream, finding crawdads, making little waterfalls, and trying to beat off the insects.