Saturday was nice. First I had to cut off and drill out holes on the s-tine cultivator I bought this winter. A previous owner had welded category 1 pins onto it, so I had to category 0 pins onto it. That took a while because drilling through old weld with cheap drill bits is kind of time consuming. Also, on Saturdays the only place to buy Cat 0 pins is the JD
dealership, so I had to drive down there. I got it done though.
Once I had the cultivator on, I used it to take a couple of runs up and down the path I have to bring in more clay fill for. That area is low and gets wet and rutted as a result. I've been bringing in fill when I can get it (they don't like to deliver out here) and building it up. I've been keeping it tilled to keep the weeds down.
Then I decided to break up some sod and dirt for where I'm planting a garden this year. I made enough room for taters, onions, and carrots. Then Mrs. Rev started talking about peas, so I ripped up some more to make room for that. Since there was a strip of grass between the two patches, I decided I might as well break that too. I think I might put peppers there.
Anyway, once I had it broken up, I put the tiller on the tractor. I needed Mrs. Rev's help with that, since the tiller has a tendency to roll when you hook it up. It became pretty clear that I have to give Mrs. Rev some tractor and safety lessons during that. I actually had to yell at her once. In more than 25 years together, I don't think I've yelled at her more than three times, but yelling is better than amputated fingers. She scared the living heck out of me when I realized what she was doing...trying to guide the lift arms into the tiller. So I put her on the tractor while I steadied the tiller, since I know how to keep my fingers out of the way. The first thing she did was slow the engine down to an idle, then she put it into full reverse. After that she made the loader go up and down instead of the 3 pt. So next weekend is tractor lessons.
Anyway, we got the tiller on and I worked up the future seed bed pretty well. It looks okay. The soil in that area is pretty good. I seeded part of it to grass almost a decade ago and the rest about five years ago because the soil was becoming depleted. It sure is dry though. We got rain yesterday though, and will be getting more today, so maybe we'll get out of this dry period yet.
I'm still hoping for a hard frost or two to help kill the grass I turned over. It's still about three weeks to seeding time.