• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 ford maverickdude OFFLINE  

ford maverickdude

• Member No: 6883
  • 2 Thanks
  • 18 posts

Posted July 23, 2012 - 08:21 PM

Hi everyone, i have a 1967 ford 120 with a manual pto clutch but i've been having some problems with it.
Yesterday i was mowing the lawn with my ford 120 and i have a good size lawn so after mowing with it for like an hour and a half i started have problems with the pto cluth not want to power the mower deck. It was like when i went over uncut grass the mower would slow down and then completely stop then when i went on the grass i already cut the mower would start slowly moving again and then speed up to its normal pace. My thought is the clutch got hot and stopped working right. I Would appreciate it if you could help me out. Thank you

#2 KennyP ONLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2253
  • 28,521 Thanks
  • 39,742 posts

Posted July 23, 2012 - 09:11 PM

Could the belt be a bit stretched and worn? Don't know much about these early ones.

#3 JDBrian OFFLINE  

JDBrian

Super Moderator

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2507
  • 9,574 Thanks
  • 14,136 posts

Posted July 24, 2012 - 05:00 AM

The obvious thing is that the clutch is worn out of that the coil is defective. If the clutch is disengaging you could have a bad connection somewhere that is showing up when things get hot. Check all the connections in the PTO circuit, including any safety switches, pto switch and the chassis connection from the clutch/engine back to the battery - terminal. Another issue could be if you have a weak battery or charging system the battery voltage could be dropping to the point where the clutch begins to slip or drops out. Good luck sorting it out.
You should also check your deck to make sure it is moving freely and as mentioned above check the belt condition and tension.

#4 KennyP ONLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 28,521 Thanks
  • 39,742 posts

Posted July 24, 2012 - 05:25 AM

Brian, it's a manual clutch. Not electric.
Is this what it looks like?
120 Power Drive clutch.jpeg
If so, item 5 is a disc that could be worn. Or it may need adjustment. Here's a link to the manual:
http://gardentractor...-100-120-parts/

#5 ford maverickdude OFFLINE  

ford maverickdude

• 2 Thanks
  • 18 posts

Posted July 24, 2012 - 06:32 AM

I put a new belt on it a little over a month ago. The belt isn't losse so i'm thinking the clutch is going bad.

#6 KennyP ONLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 28,521 Thanks
  • 39,742 posts

Posted July 24, 2012 - 07:19 AM

Is the pic I posted the right one? This manual gives instructions on how to adjust it:
http://gardentractor...-owners-manual/
Page 20, I believe
  • hayman said thank you

#7 ford maverickdude OFFLINE  

ford maverickdude

• 2 Thanks
  • 18 posts

Posted July 24, 2012 - 08:54 AM

I have adjusted it but it doesn't help

#8 hayman OFFLINE  

hayman
  • Member No: 10693
  • 0 Thanks
  • 1 posts

Posted July 28, 2012 - 08:26 AM

@ KennyP. Thanks for the link to the Jake manual. I have a 1970/71 Ford 120 (with the original books) and the Jake manual is much more informative. Of course I don't have the clutch adjustment tool (who does?). Do you have any ball park adj hints? After sitting unused for several years I hooked the 42" deck up and when engaged the deck overloads and stalls the engine and I get a slight 'burning clutch' odor. I shut it down and don't think I have clutch damage. I rebuilt the clutch but it's been several years and I don't remember the clutch nut tension setting.

Thanks again
hayman

#9 KennyP ONLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 28,521 Thanks
  • 39,742 posts

Posted July 28, 2012 - 10:27 AM

I can't help with that. I've never seen one of those clutches in person. The only adjustments I know off are in the Chief manual.

#10 Russ OFFLINE  

Russ

• Member No: 8191
  • 131 Thanks
  • 367 posts

Posted July 29, 2012 - 09:52 PM

Be sure ya check an make sure the bottom of the deck is not all built up with grass,, That can happen an big times when cuttin damp grass,, Just a thought