IamSherwood

Elf guardian

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2066
  • 8,379 Thanks
  • 7,696 posts

Posted July 23, 2012 - 07:44 PM

Once again, I've had some dealings, with a couple of GT guys, that I want to share with you.

As some of you know, I've bought a MF Elf in Denmark, and having it shipped over here.
Please keep in mind, that all communications are done using Google translator. Mistakes
happen in the translation, and can easily be taken out of context.

The first nice guy, was Claus, the fellow I bought it from. He helped load the tractor into the
back of a transport truck, and watch it drive away. At that point, he'd only rec'd a 50%
deposit from me. The next day, he emailed me to tell me it got picked up early. Never
asked for the rest of the $$. It took a week, from then, for me to get to town, and have
the bank wire transfer the rest to his account. Not once did he contact me to check
on the payment due. A very trusting, good GT guy in Denmark. :thumbs:

Last monday, I bought some rubber hood latches off Ebay Germany, for the Elf. When it came
time to pay, we both realized, that my paypal account, wouldn't match up, with a similiar
system they use over there. So, I checked with my bank, and they quoted me a $30 fee
to wire transfer $20 to his account. Criminals. We both agreed that was not to be done.
On Thurs. I offered to send him a postal money order, if he didn't mind the wait. Shortly after
that, he informed me that he had set up a Paypal account. I still haven't been invoiced by him.
Today, the latches show up in the mail, from Germany. Wow, that was fast, and he still hasn't
been paid. Another nice GT guy. :thumbs:
  • MH81 said thank you

#2 caseguy OFFLINE  

caseguy

Connoisseur of Rusty Junk

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 906
  • 1,624 Thanks
  • 5,600 posts

Posted July 23, 2012 - 07:51 PM

That's an awesome testimonial Will! It never ceases to amaze me what great people you meet in this hobby! This website is my case in point when folks ask what I mean. I'm glad that the sale has been such a pleasurable experience thus far.
  • IamSherwood said thank you

#3 sacsr OFFLINE  

sacsr

Bush Hog Addict

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 4776
  • 3,268 Thanks
  • 3,283 posts

Posted July 23, 2012 - 07:54 PM

Impressive Will. Most the guys I have met trading, swapping, etc with the Gt's have been easy to deal with and more than willing to work with you. I paid a guy I never met money for the bush hog that George picked up. I talked to him once on the phone, mailed the check, and once it was recieved George went to pick it up. Maybe I am crazy.....and probably will get burned at some point....but so far I have been impressed with the integrity of the people I have met and delt with along the way.

Glad that all is going well with the ELF.....look forward to your restoration of it!

#4 KennyP ONLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2253
  • 28,393 Thanks
  • 39,654 posts

Posted July 23, 2012 - 07:55 PM

Wow! Great folks there, Will! Glad the dealings have been so favorable!

#5 bowtiebutler956 OFFLINE  

bowtiebutler956
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 10021
  • 659 Thanks
  • 796 posts

Posted July 23, 2012 - 08:00 PM

That's awesome, thanks for sharing that ! I really have noticed, in this hobby we have a lot of truely honorable, kind, and helpful people! It makes this hobby all the more of a pleasure to be part of. :thumbs:

Matt

#6 MH81 ONLINE  

MH81

Proud to be Deplorable

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 802
  • 27,250 Thanks
  • 28,599 posts

Posted July 23, 2012 - 08:16 PM

See, Will is only buying stuff from nice guys. His secret is a little known web service called "Allis's List"

A tongue-in-cheek spin off of Angie's list and named after Allis Chalmbers, it's a place where guys who buy & sell GT stuff can leave feedback and describe their business dealings.

#7 DH1 ONLINE  

DH1

Electric Tractors

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 62
  • 4,585 Thanks
  • 5,295 posts

Posted July 23, 2012 - 08:20 PM

Good story just goes to show that there really are some really nice people out there.

#8 IamSherwood OFFLINE  

IamSherwood

Elf guardian

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2066
  • 8,379 Thanks
  • 7,696 posts

Posted July 23, 2012 - 08:44 PM

Turns out, that the fellow, with the latches, has a bunch of NOS parts for the Gutbrod 1030, which is the tractor
that the Elf is built from. Good to know, I've got a good supply line over there.

#9 tinner OFFLINE  

tinner

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 961
  • 502 Thanks
  • 1,561 posts

Posted July 23, 2012 - 09:04 PM

It's good to know that there's still people who will take a man by his word and men who stand by their words.

#10 Michiganmobileman OFFLINE  

Michiganmobileman

Old Tractor Addict

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 5678
  • 1,235 Thanks
  • 1,842 posts

Posted July 23, 2012 - 09:13 PM

Refreshing story Will, good to know there are good people out there still.

#11 jpackard56 OFFLINE  

jpackard56

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 7225
  • 1,768 Thanks
  • 1,407 posts

Posted July 23, 2012 - 09:14 PM

It's good to know that there's still people who will take a man by his word and men who stand by their words.

Amen !!

#12 Bruce Dorsi ONLINE  

Bruce Dorsi

Old, but not dead -- yet!

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1525
  • 3,167 Thanks
  • 2,142 posts

Posted July 23, 2012 - 10:39 PM

Bank wire transfers are convenient, but they are costly !

I received money transferred from Australia to my bank. .....The sender was charged a fee in Australia to send, and I was charged a fee ($25) to receive by my bank. .....I lost $25 in that transaction.

Before receiving a wire transfer, inquire with your bank to see what they will charge. ....The sender should be obligated to add that extra amount to what they are sending you.

#13 motobreeder ONLINE  

motobreeder

• Contributor
  • Member No: 3989
  • 425 Thanks
  • 611 posts

Posted July 23, 2012 - 10:53 PM

its great that you are having great experiences.

I recently had a great experience and glad to know it's not unique.

#14 JDBrian OFFLINE  

JDBrian

Super Moderator

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2507
  • 9,574 Thanks
  • 14,136 posts

Posted July 24, 2012 - 04:51 AM

It's nice to know that the GT brotherhood extends across the Atlantic. I guess part of it is that a hobbiest will usually want to help another. Many times though it is just someone selling a tractor to get money and anyone will do and as quickly as possible. I've had good and bad experiences as well.

#15 Tennblue59 OFFLINE  

Tennblue59

Tractorholic

• Member No: 6000
  • 450 Thanks
  • 522 posts

Posted July 24, 2012 - 12:40 PM

And in the same vein, MOST :laughingteeth: of the people who post here on the forum are great folks as well. Had a lot of people help with info, pictures, copies of diagrams, etc when I asked for things. Always enjoy hanging out here and learning about gts.

I use a few other forums (for this and other hobbies) where there are a lot of rude, unhappy folks who jelously guard the little bit of knowledge they have - where it seems like a chore to get somebody to answer you or help you. I visit them as a last resort.....

Anyway, wanted to thank you all for a great forum. And thanks to the moderators for keeping us all in line and helping out!!!