• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 RFB OFFLINE  

RFB

• Member No: 1355
  • 2 Thanks
  • 15 posts

Posted July 23, 2012 - 05:41 PM

I am having trouble determing the correct mower blades for a used Ford mower deck. Even Ford parts is struggling. The deck has no model number on it. Could anyone on here give the centre to centre measurements between the mower spindles or mandrels, for a 42" mower deck and for a 50" mower deck so I can work out if I should be ordering 42" parts or 50" parts. Ford parts says the blades for the 42" are 14.860 inches long and the 50" blades are 17.34" long. Thanks...

#2 KennyP ONLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2253
  • 28,489 Thanks
  • 39,723 posts

Posted July 23, 2012 - 07:34 PM

On a 09jc9835 42" deck, it is 15.125"+/- from outer spindle to center. Outer to outer is 27.125"+/-. Their measurements sound about right to keep the blades from hitting each other. If your spindles are about 15" apart, you have a 42" deck. I think the 50" spindles would be nearer to 18" apart.

#3 RFB OFFLINE  

RFB

• 2 Thanks
  • 15 posts

Posted July 24, 2012 - 07:20 AM

Thanks very much Kenny, my centre/centre spindle measures 17.5" , I am beginning to think I have a 50" deck. Ford parts says the 50" deck blades are 17.34" long. I have the 14.860" blades for a 42" deck. I think this is why the mower leaves 2 strips of grass uncut. 17.5"-17.34" leaves a tip clearance of .16". If my math is correct, I wonder if .16" tip clearance is enough? Thanks again Kenny.

#4 KennyP ONLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 28,489 Thanks
  • 39,723 posts

Posted July 24, 2012 - 07:56 AM

Congrats on the 50" deck. That would explain the strips, for sure. If the spindle bearings are in good shape. should work fine. Where are you located? If the price is right, I might be interested in those 42" blades. Send me a PM

#5 RFB OFFLINE  

RFB

• 2 Thanks
  • 15 posts

Posted July 24, 2012 - 08:41 AM

Thanks Kenny, your a good asset to people on here. I live in Northern Alberta, you would be welcome to the blades, but being a disabled senior I have to return them to Ford for a refund when I get the correct 50" blades. I hope I can get the grass or should I say hay cut before the snow flies again. All was good with my old 16HP Sears 42" mower until a steering part fell, off and I have been waiting ever since for the link between the rack and pinion on the end of the steering wheel and the front left steering wheel. I thought no big deal throw the deck on the Ford and install the belt and go cutting, life is good. And then I started getting a lesson on Ford. You have been as much help or more than Ford parts. I love my old junk, it gives me something to do. I have an old JD 1010 backhoe, a JD 214 garden tractor with rototiller, the Ford which has a blade, snowblower and the mower, and the Sears 16Hp lawn mower. The Ford is my favourite, I am trying to cobble up a way to use the front drive sheave to power auxillary equipment such as my little welding machine which lost its single cylinder gas engine etc. Trying to design a floating or hinged base with a quick attach to the side of the Ford frame, which I can just pull up to and install the belt and start welding. A very versital little machine. All the best.....

#6 KennyP ONLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 28,489 Thanks
  • 39,723 posts

Posted July 24, 2012 - 09:23 AM

No problem on the blades, just thought I throw that in. I'm glad you can exchange them. And I'm glad the measurements help clear the air. Best of luck with your welder hook up.
Does the Ford have a rear PTO? If so, you might be able to use that to power the welder. Which Ford Tractor is it? Maybe you could start a thread on that. Quite a few folks here that could help you figure it all out. Have a great day!

#7 RFB OFFLINE  

RFB

• 2 Thanks
  • 15 posts

Posted July 24, 2012 - 05:44 PM

Its a Ford LGT145. It has no rear pto or rear hydraulic hitch. That is why I was trying to design some kind of side mount quick hook up to drive my small welder. Using the front drive sheave on the Ford to the drive sheave on the small welder. The welder was a sweet unit run off a single cylinder Japanese gas engine, but the magneto went on the welder motor and no parts available in North America. And no way to convert so I am pooched and have to figure out some other way to power the welder...

#8 KennyP ONLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 28,489 Thanks
  • 39,723 posts

Posted July 24, 2012 - 05:56 PM

I take it is the open side model, considering what you hope to accomplish. Got a pics of the welder? Sounds like a viable plan. We would be happy to help if needed.

#9 RFB OFFLINE  

RFB

• 2 Thanks
  • 15 posts

Posted July 27, 2012 - 11:02 AM

Thanks Kenny, I don't have a digital camera. The welder is a dc welder that is a large alternator which has some electrical thinga majigs that convert it to dc. So alternator with a sheave to sheave belt drive on front of tractor, with a base that can bolt or hinge off the side of the frame on the LGT145 with a tensioner for the belt.

#10 KennyP ONLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 28,489 Thanks
  • 39,723 posts

Posted July 27, 2012 - 12:08 PM

Dang, a thread with no pics. Now I'll have to brush up the reading skills!

#11 RFB OFFLINE  

RFB

• 2 Thanks
  • 15 posts

Posted July 28, 2012 - 10:45 AM

Hi Kenny Thanks for helping me out and hanging in there while I worked my way through my issues with the mower deck. Lesson learned for me, when Ford etc. can't help without model number etc. Which I understand. Go to GTTalk and ask Kenny and do some measuring and apply good old common sense. It is a 50" deck the longer mower blades fit perfectly, knowing it is 50" also corrects all of my belt problems as well. vee belts are longer on the secondary drive on the 50" mower...

Edited by RFB, July 28, 2012 - 10:46 AM.

• KennyP said thank you

#12 KennyP ONLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 28,489 Thanks
  • 39,723 posts

Posted July 28, 2012 - 10:48 AM

I'm glad there is a happy ending here. Now you can get those blades broken in!