Nominations for Tractor of the Month
Garden Tractors and Parts on eBay

Photo
- - - - -

Cub Sickle Mower

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
7 replies to this topic

#1 sacsr OFFLINE  

sacsr

Bush Hog Addict

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 4776
  • 3,268 Thanks
  • 3,283 posts

Posted July 22, 2012 - 09:35 PM

http://eastnc.craigs...3142536292.html

This is listed locally. The sickle mower was what caught my eye. I am not a Cub guy so no interest here but thought some of you may be interested in it.

#2 Ryan313 OFFLINE  

Ryan313

PK Fanatic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 7087
  • 3,239 Thanks
  • 5,159 posts

Posted July 22, 2012 - 09:38 PM

The deck looks like it is from a cub low-boy, I would assume the sickle is also.

#3 OldBuzzard ONLINE  

OldBuzzard

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 805
  • 6,482 Thanks
  • 4,634 posts

Posted July 22, 2012 - 11:23 PM

The only sickle bar mower I'm aware of for the Cub Cadets was made by Haban.
That isn't a Haban, so it's most likely for one of the "large' Cubs, and not a Cub Cadet.

#4 Amigatec OFFLINE  

Amigatec

Collector of Rusty Junk

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 5899
  • 2,023 Thanks
  • 3,172 posts

Posted July 23, 2012 - 02:24 AM

There was a front mounted sickle for a Cub Cadet, but they are rare. This one is for a for a Cub or a Cub LoBoy.

#5 sacsr OFFLINE  

sacsr

Bush Hog Addict

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 4776
  • 3,268 Thanks
  • 3,283 posts

Posted July 23, 2012 - 07:00 AM

Darn....I thought I had found something one of us could use. Sorry guys did not know it was for a larger tractor! I get outside these bush hogs and my knowledge drops fast!

#6 JD DANNELS OFFLINE  

JD DANNELS

Tractorholic

• Member No: 2011
  • 3,786 Thanks
  • 3,907 posts

Posted July 23, 2012 - 10:15 AM

Darn....I thought I had found something one of us could use. Sorry guys did not know it was for a larger tractor! I get outside these bush hogs and my knowledge drops fast!

Don't go feeling too bad about it!! For the guys running Farmall Cub's and lowboys those are highly desireable implements. So if anyone here was looking for them it would have been a great tip.
The biggest problem with those models are that Collectors are driving the prices out of sight.
I talked to a guy a couple months ago who was going to a Red Power Meet and he had 3 on his trailer.

Edited by JD DANNELS, July 23, 2012 - 10:17 AM.

#7 HowardsMF155 OFFLINE  

HowardsMF155

Tractorholic

• Member No: 4243
  • 2,699 Thanks
  • 2,916 posts

Posted July 23, 2012 - 12:19 PM

I wonder how hard it would be to adapt to another mower, like say a Massey 12? They say it doesn't take much power to run one. Main problem would probably be weight.

#8 JD DANNELS OFFLINE  

JD DANNELS

Tractorholic

• Member No: 2011
  • 3,786 Thanks
  • 3,907 posts

Posted July 23, 2012 - 12:43 PM

I wonder how hard it would be to adapt to another mower, like say a Massey 12? They say it doesn't take much power to run one. Main problem would probably be weight.

I agree the weight would probably be the biggest problem. The Cadet could be had with PTO(My father in law had one that his father had used to run an elevator) and I'm pretty sure both the Cub and Cadet used the same differential and both had counter clockwise pto rotation. But they did not use any lightweight materials building these and the sickle would be a lot of weight well past the centerline of a cadet(read that as tippy).
The Cub was only around 10 hp if I remember right, but was a nearly bulletproof liquid cooled engine. And would pull a 5 ft mower fairly well. I know my wife's Great Grandfather mowed a 10 acre Rural Cemetary for 15 yrs with a Farmall Cub.

Edited by JD DANNELS, July 23, 2012 - 12:48 PM.