Garden Tractors and Parts on eBay

Photo
- - - - -

Kohler K321 Rebuild.... Oil Smells Like Gas...

• Please log in to reply
45 replies to this topic

#1 frenchy OFFLINE  

frenchy

• Member No: 2666
  • 29 Thanks
  • 163 posts

Posted July 22, 2012 - 10:40 AM

Hey all

So i finally got my Kohler K321 rebuilt properly this time. I have the crank ground to spec at a machine shop, replaced the piston rings and all gaskets. She fires up fine, runs smooth and quiet (new muffler too) but there is some vapour coming out of the crankcase breather after she warms up to operating temp.

I checked the oil and it does smell like raw gas. The oil is also visibly not the same viscosity as when it was put in.

I'm not sure how to troubleshoot this problem. Where do I start? I noted some moisture around the fuel pump body where it is attached to the crankcase.

HELP!!!

Frenchy

#2 olcowhand ONLINE  

olcowhand

Red Tractor Nut & Diesel Addict

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 20
  • 38,061 Thanks
  • 30,460 posts

Posted July 22, 2012 - 10:45 AM

It sounds like the fuel pump diaphragm has a hole in it & pumping fuel into your crankcase. DO NOT run it until you check this out! If you can take the pump loose from the block and leave fuel lines hooked up, pulling the pump out of the block, you may see right away it is leaking. If not apparent, try pumping the pump lever to see if it shows leakage then. Either a new OE pump, or in my opinion, switching to a low pressure electric fuel pump would be the best solution.

A "Mr Gasket" pump model "S42" is a good choice for such applications.
  • IamSherwood, frenchy and Toolpartzman have said thanks

#3 MH81 ONLINE  

MH81

Proud to be Deplorable

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 802
  • 29,933 Thanks
  • 29,752 posts

Posted July 22, 2012 - 10:54 AM

Yes, I agree with Daniel, cease running it until you get the fuel leak found & fixed. Oh, and don't pull the lunkhead move I did, I found my problem & then started it. ran it for about 10 seconds before my eyes fell on the stuff to drain the oil out... :wallbanging:

I'll blame it on ADD, but it's really just stupidity. It survived my idiotic move and is still running the "Roadside Mower" up at my parents. They learned a long time ago not to use the good mower to find roadside litter and rocks. Found a hammer that way...
  • frenchy said thank you

#4 JDBrian OFFLINE  

JDBrian

Super Moderator

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2507
  • 9,596 Thanks
  • 14,140 posts

Posted July 22, 2012 - 11:48 AM

Sorry to hear you are having problems with the rebuild Frenchy. At least if it is the pump it's not too much work or expense to go to an electric pump.

#5 frenchy OFFLINE  

frenchy

• 29 Thanks
  • 163 posts

Posted July 22, 2012 - 01:07 PM

It sounds like the fuel pump diaphragm has a hole in it & pumping fuel into your crankcase. DO NOT run it until you check this out! If you can take the pump loose from the block and leave fuel lines hooked up, pulling the pump out of the block, you may see right away it is leaking. If not apparent, try pumping the pump lever to see if it shows leakage then. Either a new OE pump, or in my opinion, switching to a low pressure electric fuel pump would be the best solution.

A "Mr Gasket" pump model "S42" is a good choice for such applications.

Daniel, I had already disconnected the outbound fuel line when I pulled the fuel pump off. I did disassemble the pump and there didn't seem to be any holes in the diaphragm, but I'll do it again and post pics so you can see. On a related note, I pulled apart my carb and noticed that the choke plate was bent right where the baffle is over the holes. I tried to remove the plate and both of those brass screws cracked off... now i need to buy a new choke shaft :(

Man, when it rains it pours!!! Worst part is, I just bought 2 Honda 200S ATCs to putter with. Now my garage is full of fixables... ugh.. lol

#6 bowtiebutler956 OFFLINE  

bowtiebutler956
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 10021
  • 660 Thanks
  • 796 posts

Posted July 22, 2012 - 01:07 PM

Sure does sound like a bad fuel pump diaphram. I guess an electric is good, but I like the Kohler mechanical pumps. :thumbs:

Matt

#7 MH81 ONLINE  

MH81

Proud to be Deplorable

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 802
  • 29,933 Thanks
  • 29,752 posts

Posted July 22, 2012 - 01:17 PM

I have had luck twice in the past very by carefully drilling out those screws. Go slow and do not let it heat up, at some point, you will see the other end move and then they will screw on out the other side.
  • frenchy said thank you

#8 frenchy OFFLINE  

frenchy

• 29 Thanks
  • 163 posts

Posted July 22, 2012 - 01:18 PM

Here's the diagphragm pic. No holes, but under it on the lever side, there was a nice puddle of gas/oil mixture that was sitting in there. The actual diaphragm was separated, I wonder if maybe that's how the gas was getting past...it's like the diaphragm was 2 pieces...

I don't think i could've used the word diaphragm more in one post!

Fuel Pump Diaphragm.jpg
  • MH81 said thank you

#9 olcowhand ONLINE  

olcowhand

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • 38,061 Thanks
  • 30,460 posts

Posted July 22, 2012 - 01:26 PM

You almost never actually see the holes. If your diaphragm lamination is separated, then it's a sure bet it was leaking.

#10 frenchy OFFLINE  

frenchy

• 29 Thanks
  • 163 posts

Posted July 22, 2012 - 01:32 PM

WOOOOO! Looks like i'm going parts shopping tomorrow! I'll keep you guys in the loop after I get everything back together and some fresh oil in there!

#11 frenchy OFFLINE  

frenchy

• 29 Thanks
  • 163 posts

Posted July 22, 2012 - 02:22 PM

Crap... I just looked on the Kohler parts catalogue and they don't list the diaphragm or the choke shaft.

Guys, can this be used as a replacement fuel pump: http://www.princessa...-Line-Fuel-Pump

Cause I have 2 Princess Autos locally... would be easier for that part of things...

#12 olcowhand ONLINE  

olcowhand

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • 38,061 Thanks
  • 30,460 posts

Posted July 22, 2012 - 02:26 PM

I've bought that style in the states & did fine, BUT this one doesn't specify psi output. That style pump in the US comes in 2 pressures. Low is 2 to 4psi, and the higher is like 4 to 7psi. You MUST use a low pressure model, or add a pressure regulator.
  • IamSherwood said thank you

#13 olcowhand ONLINE  

olcowhand

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • 38,061 Thanks
  • 30,460 posts

Posted July 22, 2012 - 02:28 PM

Under PA's questions & answers, I found it's way too high a psi output, so see if they have another model.

Q

I would like to know if this would be suitable to use on a 20hp "Onan" engine?

EP
CSR
April 10, 2012
A
This pump will deliver 5 - 9 PSI and rated at 30 GPH with 5/16" fittings. You would have to check with a small engine dealer for the requirements of the "Onan" engine.
  • frenchy said thank you

#14 LilysDad ONLINE  

LilysDad

Millennium Falcon

• Contributor
  • Member No: 10443
  • 11,839 Thanks
  • 8,952 posts

Posted July 22, 2012 - 02:37 PM

These folks have kits for Kohler fuel pumps, if it helps anyone. The old metal pumps are way better than the replacement plastic ones. http://www.maritimed...arts_cellar.htm
  • caseguy, Texas Deere and Horse and frenchy have said thanks

#15 frenchy OFFLINE  

frenchy

• 29 Thanks
  • 163 posts

Posted July 22, 2012 - 09:55 PM

I have had luck twice in the past very by carefully drilling out those screws. Go slow and do not let it heat up, at some point, you will see the other end move and then they will screw on out the other side.

Good advice, I just got them out. Now to find those little brass screws...

These folks have kits for Kohler fuel pumps, if it helps anyone. The old metal pumps are way better than the replacement plastic ones. http://www.maritimed...arts_cellar.htm

I literally bought a new fuel pump assembly off ebay about 2 mins before you posted this. Oh well, the price was right for the whole pump.. it was $45.00 CDN shipped.