14 replies to this topic

#1 canezila OFFLINE  

canezila
  • Member No: 10620
  • 4 Thanks
  • 9 posts

Posted July 22, 2012 - 07:22 AM

Hello everyone.

I had issues with my Keeper not having good traction on my yard when it hits soft sand areas in Orlando, FL.

1. My engine WAS a briggs and stratton 3.5hp. It has finally leaked to its final death.... SO, I had a different Briggs engine around and will give it a shot. It is a 6.5 Intek and if it has cast iron insides, it may surive ... aluminim insides.. then I guess it then becomes a science project to see how long the engine will make it..... My new pulleys come via-UPS this week.

2. OK... so if my new (old)engine works, my idea to fix the rear traction is: Add 2 additional 13x5.00-6 tires to create a dulley???????? Can this be done and would you think it could solve my problem? Or does it create too much stress on other parts? How would one go about such a thing?

Thanks!

#2 Bolens 1000 OFFLINE  

Bolens 1000

DR. Bolens

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 7
  • 12,701 Thanks
  • 17,209 posts

Posted July 22, 2012 - 07:32 AM

First Off, Welcome to GTT! :wave:

The only downfall to the Estate Keepers and Lawn Keepers was they didnt have very good traction in muddy or uneven ground. The Estate keeper had a rear weight that could be added to the rear to increase traction, but to my knowledge the Lawn Keepers did not have the rear weight option.

Have you thought about adding Chains to the rear tires?
  • canezila said thank you

#3 canezila OFFLINE  

canezila
  • 4 Thanks
  • 9 posts

Posted July 22, 2012 - 07:45 AM

I have not thought about chains before.

I will look into that... as well as maybe adding weight to the rear end.

Thanks for the ideas! Sure would be easier then adding 2 additional wheels!

#4 timtractor OFFLINE  

timtractor

• Contributor
  • Member No: 4824
  • 224 Thanks
  • 376 posts

Posted July 22, 2012 - 07:46 AM

I would try to find some wheel weights that would fit inside your rear rims. Ones that small were used on the front ends of lawn tractors to counterbalance the weight of the bagger unit or other rear attachments.

#5 Bruce Dorsi ONLINE  

Bruce Dorsi

Old, but not dead -- yet!

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1525
  • 3,179 Thanks
  • 2,148 posts

Posted July 22, 2012 - 07:51 AM

Yes, welcome to GTT !

If your rear tires are digging into the soft areas, and sinking, then adding extra wheels/tires will help provide more "flotation." ....Another possibility is to just replace your current rears with a wider tire.

What size are your current rear tires?

If your current tires are sitting on top of the sand, and spinning, adding extra width may or may not help your traction problem.
  • middleageddeere and canezila have said thanks

#6 Bolens1054 OFFLINE  

Bolens1054

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 5772
  • 11 Thanks
  • 35 posts

Posted July 22, 2012 - 09:07 AM

If you are running in sand i would switch to a paddle type tread. I have seen this on Atv's for running in the soft coal strip mining area's also. farmers in Delaware use this tread. I have seen lug tread in this size 13 x5 -6 at Tractor supply company. That was a fairly deep tread that may work.

#7 canezila OFFLINE  

canezila
  • 4 Thanks
  • 9 posts

Posted July 26, 2012 - 10:00 AM

Great news

I swapped engines and things work better than ever with some modifications to engine and chassis

Now I am faced with a issue that I encountered before and it was extremely difficult to fix so I was hoping there was someone that could tell me a better way or maybe that it is just hard... I have to attach the blades/cutting unit belt to the P.T.O Pulley. THIS IS GIVING ME FITS! I think the last time I used a locking, tie down strap to stretch the belt and finally got it on. But that is crazy to think it might be normal.

I am including pictures of the new engine as well as the belt and how far away I am from getting it onto the P.T.O. Pulley. 2012-07-26 10.41.15.jpg 2012-07-26 10.41.38.jpg 2012-07-26 10.42.14.jpg 2012-07-26 10.42.35.jpg 2012-07-26 10.42.43.jpg 2012-07-26 10.41.04.jpg

#8 canezila OFFLINE  

canezila
  • 4 Thanks
  • 9 posts

Posted July 26, 2012 - 10:52 AM

Got it!!!2012-07-26 11.47.35.jpg

#9 Bolens 1000 OFFLINE  

Bolens 1000

DR. Bolens

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 7
  • 12,701 Thanks
  • 17,209 posts

Posted July 26, 2012 - 11:42 AM

Are you sure you got the right size belt? Looking at the pictures the belt looked too short to go on the pulley. It is not recommended that you pry a belt over the pulley like that because you can tear/ stretch the cords in the belt and shorten the belt's life.

#10 MailmAn OFFLINE  

MailmAn
  • Member No: 10315
  • 292 Thanks
  • 723 posts

Posted July 26, 2012 - 12:04 PM

:yeah_that: I agree, that belt looked WAY too short to fit! You should never have to stretch a belt that much to get it to fit over the pulley. That said, I thought it was a bit odd the way that pulley is positioned. It looks crooked in relation to the deck belt you're trying to get on. Where is the pulley located, in the center of the machine where it pivots to turn? Why does the pulley look so crooked like that? Is there any adjustment there?

That engine (while not original) does look nice on there! Hopefully it adds some weight and power to your machine so it doesn't get stuck in the sand! Judging by the tires you have on there now, they look like small little turf saver golf cart tires. I'd get some new AG tires for it with a more agressive tread and see if that will help out your traction issues. You can always try to add small wheel weights as well to them if new tires don't do the trick. Good luck with it!

#11 canezila OFFLINE  

canezila
  • 4 Thanks
  • 9 posts

Posted July 26, 2012 - 02:32 PM

Bolens 1000 and MailmAn, you both bring up very good points.

I always thought the belt was way to short!! But it worked after fighting it and I was thinking maybe I dont know how it really should work! And the P.T.O pulley IS at an angle. I looked today and didnt see any type of adjustment method.

I just finished cutting the grass and the new engine makes my Lawn Keeper amazing!!!! I can cut super tall grass (because part of my lawn missed two cutting cycles) and my new mower had no problems!! It is hard to believe how well it is working. And I really dont have to worry about new tires. There is NO WAY I will get stuck now. I think I was underpowered before. Or maybe overpowered now..... but this project has been a tremendous success!

The new sheave or pulley for this new engine was 7/8" bore. Smaller than the old engine bore that was over 1". Am I allowed to share where I got it? Only took one day for shipping. If others have a similar experience, it may help them narrow down their search.

** I just might get the AG tires because they look cool!! Just that I dont HAVE to get them and that is nice.
  • Bolens 1000 said thank you

#12 middleageddeere OFFLINE  

middleageddeere

Tacos!

• Member No: 2033
  • 243 Thanks
  • 1,082 posts

Posted July 27, 2012 - 02:28 AM

Yes, welcome to GTT !

If your rear tires are digging into the soft areas, and sinking, then adding extra wheels/tires will help provide more "flotation." ....Another possibility is to just replace your current rears with a wider tire.

What size are your current rear tires?

If your current tires are sitting on top of the sand, and spinning, adding extra width may or may not help your traction problem.

I agree, duals will help you float but weight and traction are the answer to less slipping. It really depends on what type of ground we are talking about. Sometime you want to float but most times you need more weight to gain better traction.

#13 canezila OFFLINE  

canezila
  • 4 Thanks
  • 9 posts

Posted July 31, 2012 - 08:57 AM

http://www.ebay.com/...82b5839&vxp=mtr

THIS is next on my list!!!!!!!!!! Just the rear tires.

Also, since I changed the engine, I am able to set the seat all the way back so my weight is moved closer to the back helping the weight and traction. The old engine had an oil dip-stick that would hit the seat and pop off.
  • cbeirl said thank you

#14 canezila OFFLINE  

canezila
  • 4 Thanks
  • 9 posts

Posted July 31, 2012 - 09:00 AM

This is the new pulley(s) that was 7/8" bore to fit my new engine. From what I checked locally, this is a common bore size for newer engines. The old engine had a bore over 1". I think 1 1/8" This company sent the part and I got it the next day.

http://www.surfrainb...roductCode=8027

#15 KennyP ONLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2253
  • 28,518 Thanks
  • 39,735 posts

Posted July 31, 2012 - 09:39 AM

Sounds like you are getting things in order. Getting more weight to the rear may improve things. Sand is very hard to get traction in.