CASENUT

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1974
  • 501 Thanks
  • 865 posts

Posted September 29, 2012 - 08:00 PM

Man that Kenny kicks serious A$$ with his diagram mastery!

as you see there the brace runs between the top engine studs and the grille, on the end of that 'brace..are 2 little elbows made of sheet metal with some spring clips (8&9) in the diagram...
  • IamSherwood and KennyP have said thanks

#122 CASENUT OFFLINE  

CASENUT

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 501 Thanks
  • 865 posts

Posted September 29, 2012 - 08:04 PM

4 bolts . The grills on this generation were definitely a poor engineering feat. The bottom has to support the hood and grill and also hold up to the frames twisting and bending..... As you see first hand..... it didn't do very well.

With the engine 'welded in and the rest of the 'reinforcements 'twisting the frame' would be like bending the eiffel tower. However the grilles probably didn't 'fare well' because these were viewed as garden tractors or mowers. if you accidentally hit soemthin 'so what' it still runs...that was probably the mentality of the time. So the bumped fence, tree, or barn probably didn't matter a whole lot, and as they gained in age, someone probably called the dealer to get a replacement grille and laughed when they heard the replacement cost...

#123 IamSherwood OFFLINE  

IamSherwood

Elf guardian

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2066
  • 8,379 Thanks
  • 7,696 posts

Posted September 29, 2012 - 08:27 PM

Man that Kenny kicks serious A$$ with his diagram mastery!

as you see there the brace runs between the top engine studs and the grille, on the end of that 'brace..are 2 little elbows made of sheet metal with some spring clips (8&9) in the diagram...

Thanks guys.
#9 is there, but the 8's are gone. I think I might try to do something, with rubber latches. Seems a bit more convienenent, and
less rattling.
  • KennyP said thank you

#124 skyrydr2 ONLINE  

skyrydr2

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 5032
  • 3,418 Thanks
  • 3,164 posts

Posted September 29, 2012 - 08:44 PM

Those frames bend and flex easy trust me. And be careful with the deck frame as the hydraulic cylinder will bend the tractor frame if the plow doesn't lift. This is what took mine out as I bought mine from the original owner. After the grill broke he was very careful and when I finally got it I still had enough to make a decent repair.
I'm fortunate to have a friend that worked for Ford all through the 70's until present and he personally knew my tractor and the history of these rigs and all the newer ones they also sold.

#125 CASENUT OFFLINE  

CASENUT

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 501 Thanks
  • 865 posts

Posted September 29, 2012 - 09:03 PM

Those frames bend and flex easy trust me. And be careful with the deck frame as the hydraulic cylinder will bend the tractor frame if the plow doesn't lift. This is what took mine out as I bought mine from the original owner. After the grill broke he was very careful and when I finally got it I still had enough to make a decent repair.
I'm fortunate to have a friend that worked for Ford all through the 70's until present and he personally knew my tractor and the history of these rigs and all the newer ones they also sold.

Which Ford plant did he work at? I live in NW Ohio not far from the Ford complex..and I have a question if the hydraulic cylinders are that robust ...When I took the cylinder apart I took it to the seal guy, he said the cylinder at it's best would probably only lift a couple hundred pounds (if that) due to the seal setup), and my buddy who did the rebuilld also said it was kind of a 'low pressure' unit...thereby, the cylinder is weak, so the frame must be equally weak to be able to be bent by the hydraulic cylinder? Or, did I miss something?

Edited by NutCASE, September 29, 2012 - 09:07 PM.

#126 skyrydr2 ONLINE  

skyrydr2

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 5032
  • 3,418 Thanks
  • 3,164 posts

Posted September 29, 2012 - 10:10 PM

He worked on them fist at a dealership his dad ran before becoming a sales person himself. If you look at the linkage it has a mechanical advantage allowing this . Under normal mowing duties it would never be an issue, but put the blade on wrong or have it come off that cross shaft and then push it back and lift as if plowing dirt or snow and it will flex the frame. Not enough to hurt it but it would surely start the nose cracking , and the vibrations and shake if nothing else will crack the thin material around the 5 screws that hold it to the frame at the bottom. I have yet to see one not damaged there. Just bolt everything together without the grill on and see how much it moves . That grill is structural. Be it minimal it is still needed.
I beefed up mine down at the bottom and hopefully it will hold up for a few extra years?

I'm careful too with mine and I'm sure you are correct in the collision theory , in fact I would put my money on it that more were wrecked than fatigued ;) :)

#127 CASENUT OFFLINE  

CASENUT

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 501 Thanks
  • 865 posts

Posted October 11, 2012 - 06:39 PM

Ok guys, I got sick of the Ford sitting in the backyard just waiting on some minimal attention. So, today I put the tranny cover plate back on (and shift knobs), I also added the seat sliders and the body mounts I had. so now I am waiting on the seat which I will get this weekend, and I am gonna take my plow in for some blasting...then next week I'll put a splash of paint on it and get it ready to go...the LGT 145 is close to completion, problem was my Chevy Truck was staring at winter with the sides all hacked together, I welded in new sheet metal for the body sides and never got around to finishing it off...till this week. Still have some more body and paint work to do but it can wait till spring...bed looks nice now...