Bmerf

Patina Farmer / Rust Collector

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 9846
  • 1,708 Thanks
  • 1,445 posts

Posted September 26, 2012 - 02:03 PM

I went to the Dumont museum web site, http://www.oliverdecals.com/LawnG.htm , grill looks the same as the ford, but a bit pricy. If the grills you can make are cheaper, there probably is a market for them.
  • CASENUT said thank you

#107 tinbender7 OFFLINE  

tinbender7

FORDoholic

• Member No: 5171
  • 1,113 Thanks
  • 784 posts

Posted September 26, 2012 - 03:01 PM

try this guy he was advertising AM grilles for $85.00 a year ago.
<csguyy@yahoo.com>

#108 CASENUT OFFLINE  

CASENUT

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1974
  • 501 Thanks
  • 865 posts

Posted September 26, 2012 - 05:47 PM

I went to the Dumont museum web site, http://www.oliverdecals.com/LawnG.htm , grill looks the same as the ford, but a bit pricy. If the grills you can make are cheaper, there probably is a market for them.

Yes, I looked at the grilles and that grille would be much easier to Fab than a stock one, the aluminum insert to give the pattern in the front would be much much easier to make, but definitely not the Factory setup....

#109 skyrydr2 OFFLINE  

skyrydr2

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 5032
  • 3,409 Thanks
  • 3,159 posts

Posted September 26, 2012 - 05:49 PM

If you have an open sided rig then your in for a bad time. The aux. Hydraulic kit is for the newer tractors. Getting an extra valve on it will prove a challenge!

If only the bottom is broken it isn't that bad to lay up. I made a mould or of styrofoam and covered it with seran wrap. Worked like a charm. I laid up multiple layers of wetted heavy glass cloth and some lite ply-wood for a back bone .it has held up well to all the tractor pulling he has done.

Edited by skyrydr2, September 26, 2012 - 06:11 PM.

#110 josh deaven OFFLINE  

josh deaven

Tractorholic

• Contributor
  • Member No: 535
  • 477 Thanks
  • 574 posts

Posted September 26, 2012 - 05:50 PM

Hey Guys all the grills are different.I have a picture of the town and country which is the same as an oliver.I also show a ford grill. The grills that cyguyy has are close but not exact.I am guessing that if we have grills made that they will be around the 200 mark.Josh

Attached Thumbnails

• DSC01762.JPG
  • IMG_0129.JPG

Edited by josh deaven, September 26, 2012 - 05:52 PM.

#111 josh deaven OFFLINE  

josh deaven

Tractorholic

• Contributor
  • 477 Thanks
  • 574 posts

Posted September 26, 2012 - 05:53 PM

I am going to set up a meeting with a company that does molds for fiberglass in the next week or so.

#112 CASENUT OFFLINE  

CASENUT

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 501 Thanks
  • 865 posts

Posted September 26, 2012 - 06:09 PM

If you have an open sided rig then your in for a bad time. The aux. Hydraulic kit is for the newer tractors. Getting an extra valve on it will prove a challenge!

Ya Kinda what I figured since I was in there when I disassembled it saw that 'to add any hydraulic would be a PITA, but not impossible just have to figure out the best way...

Hey Guys all the grills are different.I have a picture of the town and country which is the same as an oliver.I also show a ford grill. The grills that cyguyy has are close but not exact.I am guessing that if we have grills made that they will be around the 200 mark.Josh

Yes Josh you're right although it appears that one isn't close to the original either...
Posted Image

I am going to set up a meeting with a company that does molds for fiberglass in the next week or so.

Like we talked let me know...I still haven't had much time, getting my ford plow up to date, workin on the chevy truck and We are building Jeeps like gangbusters...can't possibly bulid them fast enough...

#113 josh deaven OFFLINE  

josh deaven

Tractorholic

• Contributor
  • 477 Thanks
  • 574 posts

Posted September 26, 2012 - 06:54 PM

Atleast you are making money to keep your hobby going. :thumbs:

#114 CASENUT OFFLINE  

CASENUT

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 501 Thanks
  • 865 posts

Posted September 26, 2012 - 07:30 PM

Atleast you are making money to keep your hobby going. :thumbs:

Not enough...LOL not enough!!!

#115 IamSherwood OFFLINE  

IamSherwood

Elf guardian

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2066
  • 8,379 Thanks
  • 7,696 posts

Posted September 28, 2012 - 08:44 PM

I hope I don't make any of you guys throw up, but here is my fix to the busted up grill on my LGT165.
I plan on keeping it as a working girl, and couldn't see going to all that fiberglass work, considering
it is obviously a weak spot. I'm pretty sure this should hold it together for some time.

P1010214.JPG
P1010215.JPG
  • CASENUT said thank you

#116 CASENUT OFFLINE  

CASENUT

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 501 Thanks
  • 865 posts

Posted September 28, 2012 - 09:52 PM

I hope I don't make any of you guys throw up, but here is my fix to the busted up grill on my LGT165.
I plan on keeping it as a working girl, and couldn't see going to all that fiberglass work, considering
it is obviously a weak spot. I'm pretty sure this should hold it together for some time.

P1010214.JPG
P1010215.JPG

Really Sherwood...this is the essence of tractoring. Finding something that will work and do it. and you're right...this will support the grille for quite some time. As you undoubtedly know, some of us fix em up to be 'working beauties', and run some degree of risk in doing so. I've been 'super busy' lately, trying to get my truck painted, I welded some new wheel panels in place to remove the 'rusty' silverado sides...and working extra hours just doesn't provide the time I need for my 'tractor' projects.

When done I'd like to make or fab one of these for my ford...
Posted Image
I kinda think do to the paint scheme, it'll look better on the Ford...but cool nonetheless!!!

When I get the grilles, and battery covers worked out I'll post up...I am amazed at the 'beast' tractor the Jacobsen LGT's are...really heavy duty, and I do look forward to gettin mine done...some day ....and I do know it will be before winter :-)

#117 KennyP ONLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2253
  • 28,440 Thanks
  • 39,677 posts

Posted September 29, 2012 - 05:41 AM

Will, that should do well for a working tractor. I'm not sure where all you plan to work it, but a grille guard in front of the remaining section would be a plus. If it's going into the woods, I'd definitely have a guard on there. Wouldn't have to be a massive as the Gard-N-Cart Nutcase posted, but something to keep the limbs from taking out what's left of the grille.

#118 IamSherwood OFFLINE  

IamSherwood

Elf guardian

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2066
  • 8,379 Thanks
  • 7,696 posts

Posted September 29, 2012 - 06:12 AM

Yes, that's in the plans, to put a guard on the front eventually. For now, I just want to get it
back on it's feet, and try it out. I'll do a bit of bondo patchup on the grill yet, just so it doesn't
look so broken.

What holds the hood in place? That hardware is missing.

#119 skyrydr2 OFFLINE  

skyrydr2

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 5032
  • 3,409 Thanks
  • 3,159 posts

Posted September 29, 2012 - 06:22 AM

4 bolts . The grills on this generation were definitely a poor engineering feat. The bottom has to support the hood and grill and also hold up to the frames twisting and bending..... As you see first hand..... it didn't do very well.
  • IamSherwood said thank you

#120 KennyP ONLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2253
  • 28,440 Thanks
  • 39,677 posts

Posted September 29, 2012 - 07:06 AM