CASENUT

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1974
  • 501 Thanks
  • 865 posts

Posted August 29, 2012 - 12:29 AM

Ok I made this update so you could see the progress this week. My objective was to have it running and the trailer done, I will be close.Ran into a little sanfu with the trailer so I am in a 'hurry up' redo kinda thing (clear coat ran), and it looked 'wavy' so I DA'd it and put a guide coat on it sanded the guide coat so it will be 'flat' now I have an icing job to do and of course 'primer' 'spray' and clear' so while I have some work on it to do, it is not out of sight for this week.

While I work on the trailer, waiting for primer to dry, etc, I am preparing the rest of the tractor. I am getting it close to 'operational. Still putting it together with the little stuff, wiring, hydraulics, engine components, fuel...you know 'little' stuff. I made the video to give you guys a visual of the tractor, dump cart will be a surprise...Towards the end of the video I ask for some 'help'...so if you guys would watch to the end and give me some input please...kinda stuck.

• KennyP said thank you

#47 skyrydr2 OFFLINE  

skyrydr2

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 5032
  • 3,405 Thanks
  • 3,155 posts

Posted August 29, 2012 - 03:07 AM

Your missing the rear spring and it is half the size of the one on it. The one on it is for reverse, and you need the one to pull it into neutral from the forward position. I think one of the sight sponsors can help on that. You really want to get the correct spring on there.

• CASENUT said thank you

#48 KennyP ONLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2253
  • 28,394 Thanks
  • 39,654 posts

Posted August 29, 2012 - 04:39 AM

Here's a couple pics from the manuals. You need # 64 JAC350558. #58 is where you adjust them.
Return Spring.jpg
Here is the excerpt from the operators manual on how to adjust for neutral:
Return Spring2.jpg

The manuals can be your friend.

#49 CASENUT OFFLINE  

CASENUT

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 501 Thanks
  • 865 posts

Posted August 29, 2012 - 07:43 AM

Your missing the rear spring and it is half the size of the one on it. The one on it is for reverse, and you need the one to pull it into neutral from the forward position. I think one of the sight sponsors can help on that. You really want to get the correct spring on there.

Skyrydr2 - Since I have 'like' 6 of these tractors I can help myself to the part, However,None of them are here they are stored at my buddies place. I'll grab one Friday. I guess I didn't study the manuals enough,,,I know I have the parts manual, never saw a service manual...unless I missed it...entirely possible. Thank you! Really can;t say enough how much your guidance is appreciated...should be a real nice tractor when done. We'll see...:-)

#50 KennyP ONLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 28,394 Thanks
  • 39,654 posts

Posted August 29, 2012 - 08:28 AM

Here's the operators manual:
http://gardentractor...5-165-operator/
Here's the service manual:
http://gardentractor...-repair-manual/
  • CASENUT said thank you

#51 CASENUT OFFLINE  

CASENUT

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 501 Thanks
  • 865 posts

Posted August 31, 2012 - 10:45 PM

Ok so ...it is Friday and I wanted it running however...
I left my 2 'fabric' rests for the fuel tank at Jacks,So I'll get those and remount em. Then I have to get the spring for the 'travel' lever...I have a 125 that I've been robbing parts off of so that will work.The trailer while done ...inside was waving at me...ripples...so I ...DA'd it the whole inside of the trailer, put down a skim coat of icing and sanded and sanded and sanded, straightened one bend then put on a guide coat...and sanded and sanded and sanded.Then. I started using icing again in low spots and started sanding it out....the trailer is MUCH flatter inside now and I feel better about it, my objective is to get the rear seat pan and hood painted, along with adding about 4-5 coats of primer to the inside of the trailer, Then I'll wetsand it and it'll be good to go...hopefully ready for paint Monday...and by then the hood seat pan and maybe front end will be good to go...but, we'll see...update with photos soon...

#52 CASENUT OFFLINE  

CASENUT

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 501 Thanks
  • 865 posts

Posted September 03, 2012 - 09:17 PM

So my objective to have the tractor done this weekend ...Oh well, gettin closeer!

#53 KennyP ONLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 28,394 Thanks
  • 39,654 posts

Posted September 04, 2012 - 01:31 AM

You're getting there!
  • CASENUT said thank you

#54 CASENUT OFFLINE  

CASENUT

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 501 Thanks
  • 865 posts

Posted September 08, 2012 - 02:09 PM

Ok...so I promised an update of the Dump cart to go along with the tractor. Well I've been working on it awhile now along with the tractor...and the Dump cart was finished first. In the beginning it kinda looked like...
Posted Image

Then...well here is a video I created for this Dump cart...

• KennyP said thank you

#55 tinbender7 OFFLINE  

tinbender7

FORDoholic

• Member No: 5171
  • 1,113 Thanks
  • 784 posts

Posted September 08, 2012 - 04:09 PM

I like that dump cart.

Edited by tinbender7, September 09, 2012 - 05:25 PM.

• CASENUT said thank you

#56 KennyP ONLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 28,394 Thanks
  • 39,654 posts

Posted September 08, 2012 - 07:59 PM

Yours is different than mine. It sets higher. But it looks great. I hope to have mine finished soon.
  • CASENUT said thank you

#57 CASENUT OFFLINE  

CASENUT

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 501 Thanks
  • 865 posts

Posted September 09, 2012 - 09:19 PM

Ok, so the weekend was good for the Ford...I got the dump cart done, and I got some clear on the hood and 'rear fenders'. I should get the rear fenders 'loosely' set tomorrow, while I await my new mounts, I'll also remount the steering wheel and perhaps get started on the grille assembly. Maybe fill the hydraulic system...

I looked in the manual and don't see where the big spring that hoists the carriage goes...I know it wraps around the crossmember, but don't know where the 'top side' of the spring attaches...if anyone knows or has a pic/diagram hook me up...this isn't a show stopper by any means I just want it right...

Also, I am getting ready to enter the 'decal' stages on this tractor. I don't want to reinvent the wheel. Does anyone know who has all the decals for this tractor...I don't particularly want to get pictures and take measurements for the decals...when I do that it just takes forever to get the decals back. I am sure someone has restored one of these Jacobsen/Ford tractors in the past and has already gone through the 'wait' stage, so I shouldn't have to...Thx

Thanks and I'll update tomorrow with some pics...

Edited by NutCASE, September 09, 2012 - 11:14 PM.

#58 skyrydr2 OFFLINE  

skyrydr2

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 5032
  • 3,405 Thanks
  • 3,155 posts

Posted September 10, 2012 - 10:38 AM

Ol' George Bradish has em all! www.georgebradishtractorparts.com

#59 CASENUT OFFLINE  

CASENUT

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 501 Thanks
  • 865 posts

Posted September 10, 2012 - 12:25 PM

Thanks Keith,

Well as promised here are some pics I shot this AM...didn't get the wheel on yet but that is a simple job, currently gettin a few more things wrapped up...

Here it is as she sits...
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Anyone happen to know the 'best' way to refill the hydro system? Not really keen on starting this up without the hydro system being 'full' or at least having it when needed...Thx

Edited by NutCASE, September 10, 2012 - 01:20 PM.

#60 KennyP ONLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 28,394 Thanks
  • 39,654 posts

Posted September 10, 2012 - 01:30 PM

Anyone happen to know the 'best' way to refill the hydro system? Not really keen on starting this up without the hydro system being 'full' or at least having it when needed...Thx

Yeah, but you already have the fender pan back on. There is a vent just above the fill plug an inch or so. Take it out and use a funnel to fill till it runs out down below. Might be hard to do now.

Looks great!
  • CASENUT said thank you