CASENUT

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1974
  • 501 Thanks
  • 865 posts

Posted August 10, 2012 - 09:45 PM

Well, been working on this and here are the latest photo updates. I should be getting the engine tins done this weekend, if that happens then I'd imagine I could get the rebuilt hydraulic cylinder replaced and be headed towards business with the 'ford'...But the hydraulic cylinder was the welded type and needed the welds cut apart on a lathe. Once that was done, I had new hydraulic hoses made and got new seals today for the cylinder, so hopefully I get the cylinder rebuilt tomorrow and repainted this weekend. (Just a work in progress) So, here are the update photos from the hydraulic lift rebuild...
Posted Image
Here are the part numbers for anyone that may end up needing them in the future...
Posted Image
  • KennyP said thank you

#18 KennyP ONLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2253
  • 28,441 Thanks
  • 39,678 posts

Posted August 11, 2012 - 06:33 AM

Good to see some progress here! Best of luck on the cylinder. How are you planning to keep it 'cool' when you weld it back together?

#19 CASENUT OFFLINE  

CASENUT

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 501 Thanks
  • 865 posts

Posted August 11, 2012 - 09:42 PM

Good to see some progress here! Best of luck on the cylinder. How are you planning to keep it 'cool' when you weld it back together?

Well Kenny, In this case I realized it was 'a little' bigger than me. So, I talked with my buddy who is a professional Welder, Fabricator. And he said...'no problem', so I'll leave it with him :-) pays to have friends. The guy at the place where I got my seals said to move the piston all the way to the opposite end and Use a heat sink, I am not sure how Bruce will do it but I'll ask when he is done.

#20 KennyP ONLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2253
  • 28,441 Thanks
  • 39,678 posts

Posted August 12, 2012 - 04:53 AM

That was probably a good move. I some times use my vise as a heat sink. Takes a bit to heat up that thing.
  • CASENUT said thank you

#21 CASENUT OFFLINE  

CASENUT

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 501 Thanks
  • 865 posts

Posted August 12, 2012 - 08:34 PM

Well, some progress this weekend on the FORD, not only am I making progress on the Hydraulic lift cylinder and hoses, but here are some photos of the 'blue' stuff turning blue again...kinda fitting that the old seat is on the ground in the background...I found a perfect blue seat :-) but we likely won't see that till the rest of this machine is done ...
Posted Image
  • Russ said thank you

#22 Texas Deere and Horse OFFLINE  

Texas Deere and Horse

RED Wild Hogs, Horses & Deeres

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1435
  • 14,464 Thanks
  • 15,392 posts

Posted August 12, 2012 - 08:44 PM

Jim, it's really coming along nicely, can't wait to see it back together Buddy..
  • CASENUT said thank you

#23 CASENUT OFFLINE  

CASENUT

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 501 Thanks
  • 865 posts

Posted August 12, 2012 - 09:09 PM

Me 2, On the scope of things this was a 'much easier' restore, since the engine didn't have to be worked to much. Although pulling it apart to clean and spray wasn't particularly easy. In fact I hope tomorrow lends itself to spraying the engine and perhaps getting the carb on...the goal for this week is to get all the engine 'tins' painted and put back in place...Which is kind of a lofty goal in that 'all the visible and some parts behind others will have to be cleaned. But it is swiftly approaching the 'going' back together stages...

#24 Russ OFFLINE  

Russ

• Member No: 8191
  • 131 Thanks
  • 367 posts

Posted August 16, 2012 - 11:56 AM

Wow looks like ya comeing along great,,

#25 CASENUT OFFLINE  

CASENUT

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 501 Thanks
  • 865 posts

Posted August 17, 2012 - 12:53 PM

Well I got the engine 'tins' back in place and carb on...so the project is moving forward....also my buddy got the cylinder done so the hydraulic system is just about ready to go back together as well...here are a couple shots of the engine. I cleaned up a bit of the overspray in one of the pics that got on the electric pto...but other than that it is lookin good...and Maple Hunter may have my Kohler decals ready by the Portland show so in 2 weeks it should be lookin like new...lol wishful thinking...
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
  • Russ said thank you

#26 Utah Smitty OFFLINE  

Utah Smitty

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 5557
  • 1,643 Thanks
  • 1,746 posts

Posted August 17, 2012 - 02:45 PM

Well, been working on this and here are the latest photo updates. I should be getting the engine tins done this weekend, if that happens then I'd imagine I could get the rebuilt hydraulic cylinder replaced and be headed towards business with the 'ford'...But the hydraulic cylinder was the welded type and needed the welds cut apart on a lathe. Once that was done, I had new hydraulic hoses made and got new seals today for the cylinder, so hopefully I get the cylinder rebuilt tomorrow and repainted this weekend. (Just a work in progress) So, here are the update photos from the hydraulic lift rebuild...
Posted Image
Here are the part numbers for anyone that may end up needing them in the future...
Posted Image

None of the pictures are coming thru for some reason...

Utah Smitty

#27 Russ OFFLINE  

Russ

• Member No: 8191
  • 131 Thanks
  • 367 posts

Posted August 17, 2012 - 03:57 PM

Glad you getting it back together an look great,,

#28 CASENUT OFFLINE  

CASENUT

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 501 Thanks
  • 865 posts

Posted August 17, 2012 - 04:59 PM

None of the pictures are coming thru for some reason...

Utah Smitty

Utah...not sure what the problem is...this is the first I've heard of anyone not 'seeing' my photos...maybe it's your browser configuration...

#29 CASENUT OFFLINE  

CASENUT

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 501 Thanks
  • 865 posts

Posted August 19, 2012 - 09:05 PM

Well got the cylinder back today...but didn't have a chance to do much with it...hopefully it will be in place this weekend...I asked my buddy about the method...he said simple, take one end weld it on with no piston or rod in it...let it cool completely, the assemble the piston in, slide it to the opposite end, and weld fast...then cool it down and put the assembly in the lathe to make it look better than new...Bruce is a great guy...

I put this pic in my other thread but it really belongs here...I put some clear on the ford trailer today
Posted Image

and did some work on my truck so didn't get a whole lot of tractoring done...

#30 mjodrey OFFLINE  

mjodrey

Accumulator

• Contributor
  • Member No: 92
  • 2,343 Thanks
  • 13,481 posts

Posted August 20, 2012 - 07:37 AM

Lookin' good there,Jimbo. :thumbs: