CASENUT

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1974
  • 501 Thanks
  • 865 posts

Posted July 21, 2012 - 10:46 PM

My first ford was a 74 LGT 145 which was made by Jacobsen. The tractor runs great, and it is my 'darling' tractor...meaning I have it at my house and am 'restoring it' slowly. Presently I have the wheels/ tires off, all of the body tins, The wheels were sprayed tonight and the tins will most likely get sprayed tomorrow. That said I have the tractor in my backyard and am cleaning it with all of the 'tins' off so I can get to everything.

To make this 'short' when I got the tractor it came with a trailer, which is also in the process of Paint. But, as ai am cleaning the frame and carriage I noticed that the 'carriage' for the belts etc is currently wired in the up position. Which would lead me to believe it failed and they strictly used this tractor for 'towing' the trailer...

Now the question...most likely component to fail? I think the lift cylinder is the likely 'weak' point but want to hear from others...Besides just putting it back together looking good, I want it to be fully functional...

Thanks,
Jim Aka NutCASE

#2 Russ OFFLINE  

Russ

• Member No: 8191
  • 131 Thanks
  • 367 posts

Posted July 21, 2012 - 11:27 PM

Sure like to see pic of ya 145 as ya going with er,, Sure wish I could help ya on the carriage part but don't know anything on em,, An yea I would want to be sure things are in working order before putting er back together,, Good luck an hope somebody can help ya,,, But if I seen a pic then I mite beable to help ya,,

Edited by Russ, July 21, 2012 - 11:28 PM.

#3 KennyP ONLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2253
  • 28,523 Thanks
  • 39,745 posts

Posted July 22, 2012 - 04:33 AM

Got a pic of the 'carriage' for the belts? Is that the mule drive with the idler pullies? We'll need a pic to figure this out. If it is the mule drive, it is the same as mine.

#4 KennyP ONLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 28,523 Thanks
  • 39,745 posts

Posted July 22, 2012 - 10:04 AM

Is this the 'carriage'?
Image008.jpg

#5 larrybl OFFLINE  

larrybl

Texas Member

• Site Supporter
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 415
  • 4,955 Thanks
  • 3,329 posts

Posted July 22, 2012 - 12:37 PM

That Muel drive looks way better than mine did. (Edit; sorry, I mistook the picture for the OP's, still looks good). As for the lift cylander, it is pretty robust, I had to cut mine off the mount peg and had it welded back together. No leaks and works fine.

Attached Thumbnails

• Deck%20Installed%201.JPG

Edited by larrybl, July 22, 2012 - 12:38 PM.

• KennyP said thank you

#6 skyrydr2 ONLINE  

skyrydr2

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 5032
  • 3,418 Thanks
  • 3,165 posts

Posted July 22, 2012 - 02:45 PM

Jim, most likely thing to fail, A HOSE , so test it out first, also there should be a spring that holds the deck carrige up , so something is definately a miss there.
  • CASENUT said thank you

#7 CASENUT OFFLINE  

CASENUT

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 501 Thanks
  • 865 posts

Posted July 23, 2012 - 10:51 PM

Jim, most likely thing to fail, A HOSE , so test it out first, also there should be a spring that holds the deck carrige up , so something is definately a miss there.

Keith,
Thx, I guess I have to find a parts diagram. I put the wheels on it today (after I painted the wheels and got some of the tire paint, they look almost new) and am so excited about getting that tractor back in order...I had the Majority of the sheet metal blasted today and it should be ready for some paint this weekend. Although getting the steering wheel off has proved to be a PITA...I will get it...

Do you know where I can get a parts diagram for it. (for the carriage)..I have a local place that can make a hydraulic hose for me...so if that is bad then it shouldn't be a hassle to get it replaced....without it running right now...because all the cables have been removed it is gonna be a little difficult to diagnose...but there should be enough evidence there...

Thanks again for your assistance...
Jim

#8 KennyP ONLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 28,523 Thanks
  • 39,745 posts

Posted July 24, 2012 - 05:44 AM

If it looks like the pic I posted, you can find the break down on page 38 here:
http://gardentractor...-83-parts-book/
  • CASENUT and skyrydr2 have said thanks

#9 skyrydr2 ONLINE  

skyrydr2

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 5032
  • 3,418 Thanks
  • 3,165 posts

Posted July 24, 2012 - 06:17 AM

Jim, that parts book is a bible of sorts, tons of good info . That is what I have used, thanks Kenny, and Chuck.

#10 Cvans ONLINE  

Cvans

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 5412
  • 4,522 Thanks
  • 5,033 posts

Posted July 24, 2012 - 08:54 AM

That's a nice looking tractor. I've always liked the looks of that body style. :thumbs:

#11 CASENUT OFFLINE  

CASENUT

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 501 Thanks
  • 865 posts

Posted July 24, 2012 - 07:53 PM

Thanks Kenny!!! Ya I see the spring and I did some work on the Ford today, took the steering wheel off 'what a chore' but I got it. I also removed the dash, gas tank, straps, and the front end, Tomorrow I am setting out to remove the hydraulic cylinder and hoses then I can take em apart and look for a 'leak', repaint the carriage and cylinder, get new hoses made ...then start preping the rest for paint...

Maybe I'll grab a photo of it as it sits so you guys can see my progress...better yet...here is a vid...

Edited by NutCASE, July 25, 2012 - 07:02 PM.

#12 CASENUT OFFLINE  

CASENUT

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 501 Thanks
  • 865 posts

Posted July 25, 2012 - 07:08 PM

See last post updated with video...
  • KennyP said thank you

#13 CASENUT OFFLINE  

CASENUT

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 501 Thanks
  • 865 posts

Posted July 26, 2012 - 06:54 PM

WOW...I got the hydraulic cylinder out and what a PITA it was to remove. Looks like the cylinder is ok, and the hoses are bad, so I'll get some new hoses made for me and take it from there...Like I said in the video I may do some 'touch up paint work to the inside and undercarriage, but I will not spend a ton of time on this part of the project...

#14 Russ OFFLINE  

Russ

• Member No: 8191
  • 131 Thanks
  • 367 posts

Posted July 29, 2012 - 09:58 PM

Hey,, Looks great,, Hope ya get er back together soon an I sure understand ya about not wantin to spend a bundle of cash,,lol, Good luck,,

#15 CASENUT OFFLINE  

CASENUT

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 501 Thanks
  • 865 posts

Posted July 29, 2012 - 10:32 PM

Hey,, Looks great,, Hope ya get er back together soon an I sure understand ya about not wantin to spend a bundle of cash,,lol, Good luck,,

Ya the tractor was $350 with a trailer, so tyin up tons of money on it is outta the question. Old Chevy truck required some attn this weekend so I didn't make much progress, except I did leave the cylinder at my buddies who has a friend that will fabricate new lines,and he will take a look at rebuilding the cylinder for me...so this is one part of the project that I do not want to 'fail' the rest ...stripping, primer, paint etc no problem, including putting the finishing touches on the trailer. So, for now I continue on my 'paint' work while I wait on the cylinder to get done...once that is complete, by then the paint should be done and I can order the decals...That would put the time frame for completion around the end of August or so...