Nominations for Tractor of the Month
Garden Tractors and Parts on eBay

Photo
- - - - -

Brought Home An Old John Deere 110 Today.....

• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

#1 Delmar OFFLINE  

Delmar
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 5039
  • 2,323 Thanks
  • 2,416 posts

Posted July 21, 2012 - 06:18 PM

Brought home a John Deere 110 today, Been sittin outside for a few years, in the sun and rain, etc. Looks like it is mostly all there. One back tire still holds air. The seat is just sittin on the fender. I have the springs too, but not bolted on. I looked up the serial number, it is a 1969. It has an 8 hp Kohler in it.
It looks like there is an extra pulley on it. Don't know what that used to power. Both levers are froze (deck lift and vari-drive) That shift is kind of strange too. There is a little door that lifts up to allow the shift lever to move over some more.
The steering is free, but tight. With the shifter in neutral it does roll, but not well. Might be the lack of air in the front tires!

[attachment=38637:100_8685.jpg][attachment=38638:100_8675.jpg][attachment=38639:100_8676.jpg][attachment=38640:100_8677.jpg][attachment=38641:100_8678.jpg][attachment=38642:100_8679.jpg][attachment=38643:100_8680.jpg][attachment=38644:100_8681.jpg][attachment=38645:100_8682.jpg][attachment=38646:100_8683.jpg]

#2 sacsr OFFLINE  

sacsr

Bush Hog Addict

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 4776
  • 3,268 Thanks
  • 3,283 posts

Posted July 21, 2012 - 06:52 PM

Congrats on the new 110! Looks to be a great candidate for restoring!
  • Delmar said thank you

#3 JDBrian OFFLINE  

JDBrian

Super Moderator

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2507
  • 9,574 Thanks
  • 14,136 posts

Posted July 21, 2012 - 07:05 PM

That looks like a good restoration project. I think the door may be a sort of reverse interlock.
  • Delmar said thank you

#4 Ryan313 OFFLINE  

Ryan313

PK Fanatic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 7087
  • 3,239 Thanks
  • 5,159 posts

Posted July 21, 2012 - 07:29 PM

That will be a very nice 110 once restored! Good luck with it!
  • Delmar said thank you

#5 HDWildBill OFFLINE  

HDWildBill

Freedom is not Free. Thank those in uniform for your freedom.

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 6354
  • 8,702 Thanks
  • 8,557 posts

Posted July 21, 2012 - 07:34 PM

Looks like you have a nice restoration project. Maybe a winter project?
  • Delmar said thank you

#6 ggsteve OFFLINE  

ggsteve

• Member No: 4164
  • 142 Thanks
  • 253 posts

Posted July 21, 2012 - 07:35 PM

The "door" on the shifter is to move from 2nd to 1st gear. The second pulley runs attachments such as the snow blower. I don't know what you picked it up for but the rear integral hitch and linkage are worth some real money before we even get to the tractor. Nice score!

Edited by ggsteve, July 21, 2012 - 07:38 PM.

• Delmar said thank you

#7 Delmar OFFLINE  

Delmar
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 2,323 Thanks
  • 2,416 posts

Posted July 21, 2012 - 07:59 PM

The p o told me his son had been mowing with it and it quit running, and that was a LONG time ago. He brought it back home and it has sat in the same spot since.
Yes, it is going to be my winter project, if I can hold off that long.

#8 johndeereelfman OFFLINE  

johndeereelfman

Elfin Majic

• Contributor
  • Member No: 3761
  • 5,480 Thanks
  • 2,535 posts

Posted July 22, 2012 - 09:16 AM

JBBR,

Not knowing how much you had to give for the tractor, but if you gave less than $250.00, you did good! The tractor looks complete other than the PTO cover, which can be found on ebay or with one of our sponsors. Like stated above, the integral hitch set up sells for around $250 - $300, due to being the original early green hitch. I'm assuming this is a very early 1969 110, as it has the 1963-1968 steering wheel on it with the larger center cap. Normally the '69 tractors have the smaller center caps. A piece of advice if you're interested, and that would be to try and find a matching front tire like the one on the right side. The one on the left side (flat tire un-seated) is actually a newer replacement tire. The Goodyear tire that matches your back tires, are highly sought after tires, and can be hard to find, but if you wait long enough, one will come your way. As for the variator and lift levers, spray some penetrating oil down the thumb release buttons, and let them soak for a couple of days. Hopefully this will free them up, and get them working again.

Good luck on the restoration, if this is the avenue you choose to take. I personally would leave the tractor in it's original condition, other than trying to polish it up a little and give it a good waxing. Don't find too many like that in that good of condition. Enjoy the tractor, and drive it with pride. Looking forward to seeing finished pictures!

Take Care,
Troy
  • Delmar said thank you

#9 Delmar OFFLINE  

Delmar
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 2,323 Thanks
  • 2,416 posts

Posted July 22, 2012 - 11:14 AM

135xx is the serial number, so it is the 500 plus one made in 1969. they made about 3000 or so that year. The p o was going to haul it off for metal scrap. I traded him a case of Miller Light for it. It has a crack in the front of the hood, got to repair that or it will vibrate loose-fall apart. Got to get it running again first. The spark plug is nowhere to be found, no telling how long that has been out of it.
What i think is cool about it is that the hood emblem, the steering wheel cap, even the sticker on the deck is a four leg deer.

#10 k91 OFFLINE  

k91

• Member No: 2384
  • 3 Thanks
  • 5 posts

Posted July 22, 2012 - 11:43 AM

Ya did real good for that price :thumbs: If you are really lucky it may have the assist spring on it too.
  • Delmar said thank you

#11 ckjakline OFFLINE  

ckjakline

Tractorholic

• Member No: 6073
  • 1,080 Thanks
  • 1,093 posts

Posted July 26, 2012 - 06:10 PM

135xx is the serial number, so it is the 500 plus one made in 1969. they made about 3000 or so that year. The p o was going to haul it off for metal scrap. I traded him a case of Miller Light for it. It has a crack in the front of the hood, got to repair that or it will vibrate loose-fall apart. Got to get it running again first. The spark plug is nowhere to be found, no telling how long that has been out of it.
What i think is cool about it is that the hood emblem, the steering wheel cap, even the sticker on the deck is a four leg deer.

Dang,You did real good.I would've given him at least a case of Sam Adams,but if thats what he wanted it was well worth it.
  • Delmar said thank you

#12 Delmar OFFLINE  

Delmar
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 2,323 Thanks
  • 2,416 posts

Posted July 26, 2012 - 09:12 PM

Ok, I know I said it was a winter project, but.....got the variator and lift arm freed up (thanks johndeereelfman), got the deck off, got the front/hood off, shot a bunch of fogging oil in the sparkplug hole and soaked the piston and valves for a couple days. Got the motor to spin over good, and it has compression, but still no spark yet. I cleaned up the points too. This kohler motor without an external coil is new to me, I'm going to have to figure this one out.

#13 UncleWillie ONLINE  

UncleWillie

wabbit wangler

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 10399
  • 12,742 Thanks
  • 7,697 posts

Posted July 29, 2012 - 04:47 AM

Well at least you put the Miller lite to good use and didn't drink it yourself. Nice find.

#14 Delmar OFFLINE  

Delmar
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 2,323 Thanks
  • 2,416 posts

Posted August 16, 2012 - 08:18 PM

I was messin around with the 181 kohler on the 110 today. Last time I worked on it I could not get any spark. So this time I got the flywheel off and it was really rusty every where. So i sanded the inside of the flywheel and the coil or stator or whatever you call that, put the flywheel back on, hooked up the battery, still no spark. I remembered reading a post not too long ago about the problem might be an easy fix by putting on a new condensor, so then I tried that. I got spark! whoo hoo! It is nice to know that the motor has a chance. Next thing I work on will be that carburator. It is stuck tight. Nothing moves.

#15 Trav1s ONLINE  

Trav1s

Got points?

• Member No: 5472
  • 2,602 Thanks
  • 3,750 posts

Posted August 16, 2012 - 08:33 PM

Those k181s are tough little motors. While you are at it you might consider pulling the head, cleaning out the carbon, lapping the head, and reinstalling it along with a new head gasket. (That made a noticable difference on my 1966 110.) As for the carb, I suggest a good soak in some carb dip or diesel fuel before you try to do too much to it.
  • Delmar said thank you