27 replies to this topic

#1 cookiemonster OFFLINE  

cookiemonster

Village Idiot

• Member No: 6338
  • 406 Thanks
  • 1,274 posts

Posted July 21, 2012 - 04:18 PM

In my build thread for putting a transmission in my panzer, I'd said I was going to build a rear dump bucket. Well, I picked up an old, but only once used Craftsman Scoop off of CL. I must have modified or reinforced every part on this thing and adapted it for the rear mount. Did some painting this morning, and here's what I got.

Although the bucket itself was really never used, it had a good bit of rust. I should've flipped it over to show the reinforcements on the bottom
IMG-20120721-00122.jpg

Hung up all the levers and light stuff to dry.
IMG-20120721-00123.jpg

There's Franky P. He just cut the grass for the first time after getting his new PowerKing tranny. It worked nicely - I could run it in high range first gear. And it was slower than it was in low range before. That let me tach up the OHV engine for more blade speed and better cutting.
IMG-20120721-00124.jpg

Edited by cookiemonster, July 21, 2012 - 04:21 PM.

• MH81, hamman and Toolpartzman have said thanks

#2 Ryan313 OFFLINE  

Ryan313

PK Fanatic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 7087
  • 3,239 Thanks
  • 5,159 posts

Posted July 21, 2012 - 04:38 PM

I am glad that the tranny worked well for you! Thanks for sharing pics of the scoop! It will be cool once you are finished!
  • cookiemonster said thank you

#3 KennyP ONLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2253
  • 28,461 Thanks
  • 39,695 posts

Posted July 21, 2012 - 06:47 PM

Franky looks rather proud of himself. Glad the tranny worked like you wanted. Cool rear bucket, didn't know Sears made one of those!

#4 JDBrian OFFLINE  

JDBrian

Super Moderator

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2507
  • 9,574 Thanks
  • 14,136 posts

Posted July 21, 2012 - 06:54 PM

Franky looks rather proud of himself. Glad the tranny worked like you wanted. Cool rear bucket, didn't know Sears made one of those!

It looks like the front scoop that they sell for the GT's. JD sells them as well for the x series tractors. I think the design started out as a scaled down version of the "Superior Scoop" a bucket arrangement that fit on a JD 54" front blade. JD eventually started selling these as JD brand attachments. They either bought the design or had the original company build them.It's a pretty clever design and I believe JD still has the original type available as an attachment for the big GT's.
  • KennyP and cookiemonster have said thanks

#5 IamSherwood OFFLINE  

IamSherwood

Elf guardian

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2066
  • 8,379 Thanks
  • 7,696 posts

Posted July 21, 2012 - 07:07 PM

Wow, Franky P. looks awesome. Are you going to find a bit of chrome trim to add to
the bucket?

#6 MH81 ONLINE  

MH81

Proud to be Deplorable

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 802
  • 27,301 Thanks
  • 28,628 posts

Posted July 21, 2012 - 07:23 PM

Good for Frank! Glad everything is working out as designed.

Now you said Rear dump bucket? How much bracket fab are you going to have to do to make it fit?

#7 Bmerf OFFLINE  

Bmerf

Patina Farmer / Rust Collector

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 9846
  • 1,708 Thanks
  • 1,445 posts

Posted July 21, 2012 - 07:34 PM

Nice bucket and a great looking GT. Can't wait to see the bucket on tractor and in action.

#8 cookiemonster OFFLINE  

cookiemonster

Village Idiot

• 406 Thanks
  • 1,274 posts

Posted July 21, 2012 - 10:26 PM

Thanks guys. I did get it fitted up this evening. Everything went well. Though after all the final welding and paint, the dump mechanism is going to need some more work. The lever isn't lined up right and the bracket holding the release pin needs reinforced. Also, since it was based on a front bucket, then the cables for the pin releases are all way too long. I'll have to shorten them when I can find the right cable heads.

Yeah, it was a front bucket put on the back. I wanted to design a lift mechanism that will raise it high enough that it won't drag everywhere... mission accomplished.... I think. And I wanted to have something that I can put on with the mower on. And I'll definitely put it on with the snow blade on for counterweight. Who know's maybe someday I'll build or modify a FEL for it and have a bucket on both ends. Right now, I want to get a full dump truck full of topsoil and re-do a pretty big ditch in my yard where it sunk over the water line. Going to have them dump right on the street and use this to move it around where I need it.
IMG-20120721-00126.jpg

Going out of town to Cedar Point in Ohio for a few days. Final adjustment and testing will have to wait.
  • MH81 and KennyP have said thanks

#9 JDBrian OFFLINE  

JDBrian

Super Moderator

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2507
  • 9,574 Thanks
  • 14,136 posts

Posted July 22, 2012 - 06:47 AM

That looks good. Nice job on the fabrication and a very creative idea in the first place to use the Sears front scoop. I had a 3pt. dirt scoop on my X475. I used mine to move several tandem loads of material.. You are going to need some front ballast for certain. I cast a weight in concrete for my 475 and just picked it up with the front hitch. Without it the front end was way too light and would plow instead of turn. If you are backing down a hill with a light front end and a load in the scoop it can get interesting to say the least.

#10 cookiemonster OFFLINE  

cookiemonster

Village Idiot

• 406 Thanks
  • 1,274 posts

Posted July 25, 2012 - 10:13 PM

Yeah, I was thinking about counterweight. Would definitely need it if I take the mower off. I'm back home and hope to get the final touches done in the next days.

#11 cookiemonster OFFLINE  

cookiemonster

Village Idiot

• 406 Thanks
  • 1,274 posts

Posted July 29, 2012 - 11:18 PM

I got the kinks worked out of the dump mechanism today and did a full test. Now, I just need to find a stone pile to do a full video. I think they're building a house down the street. hmmmmmmm....

#12 cookiemonster OFFLINE  

cookiemonster

Village Idiot

• 406 Thanks
  • 1,274 posts

Posted August 01, 2012 - 03:24 PM

Well, I snuck in to a vacant lot with a small stone pile for the first test.

Video time! I know you boys like that. Once again, look away from the ugly fat man! Concentrate on the tractor.

This was literally the 2nd bucket of stone I picked up with this bucket, so be gentle on the operator's unrefined technique. I'm sure I'll be real good at it once my load of dirt shows up and get through it all. But I didn't want to get 10 tons of dirt and then have the thing not work. So this is the test... It passed. It didn't scoop up all that smoothly, but that's because the pile is on a layer of stone on top of mud. You can see the tires spin out backwards because of it. Would've been a lot cleaner scooping on hard-pack or pavement. But given that's what there was to work with, I'm extremely happy with it.

You hear Franky P singing??? That's actually just me slipping the belt clutch. Nothing to worry about - normal. Though I have no idea how old that belt is... May be a good idea to replace it, huh?

If the video doesn't play, then you'll need to update to the latest version of Quicktime.
Attached File  panzerdumptesth.mov   21.13MB   112 downloads
  • KennyP said thank you

#13 KennyP ONLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2253
  • 28,461 Thanks
  • 39,695 posts

Posted August 01, 2012 - 03:47 PM

Looks like it will do the job. Great video! Thanks!

#14 Bmerf OFFLINE  

Bmerf

Patina Farmer / Rust Collector

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 9846
  • 1,708 Thanks
  • 1,445 posts

Posted August 02, 2012 - 12:02 AM

That’s works beautifully. Stone/dirt mix that has laid in a pile and settled is one of the toughest things to pick up. But looks as if Franky P is up to the task. Nice job on the bucket.

#15 cookiemonster OFFLINE  

cookiemonster

Village Idiot

• 406 Thanks
  • 1,274 posts

Posted August 02, 2012 - 09:28 AM

That’s works beautifully. Stone/dirt mix that has laid in a pile and settled is one of the toughest things to pick up. But looks as if Franky P is up to the task. Nice job on the bucket.

Yeah, my biggest problem off the bat is knowing which handle to grab to get the lift to do what I want. After about 10 buckets it will become 2nd nature. The thing that I made different about this than any other I've seen is having 2 handles for lifts. The one on my left hand lowers it down from travel position (very high) to working position and locks at either end. The lift on my right hand takes it the rest of the way down to the ground - in fact a little past down in case you want to try and "dig in". Of course the other handle on the right hand is the bucket dump, and it locks in several positions.

My original thought was to have the working controls for both the lift and dump both on one side (the right) so you could play with them while you're backing up with your other hand on the steering. Now, I'm second guessing myself and thinking that it may have been best for one to be on the right and one on the left. That would mean letting go of the steering, but how far off track is it really going to get when you're backing up just 3 feet?

Just a perfectionist, I guess. But the part of this I'm happiest with is the 2 lifts. The biggest complaint people seem to have about manual scoops is that they can't get them high enough off the ground to drive around without bottoming out. Having the ability to raise it up into a Travel position is what I think is unique about this one.