• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 poncho62 OFFLINE  

poncho62
  • Member No: 42
  • 634 Thanks
  • 1,220 posts

Posted July 13, 2010 - 08:34 PM

.Here in Canada, we have a relatively short growing season.....have had my potatoes in since the middle of May.....have hilled up the rows and the plants are about 2 1/2 feet tall......little white and pink flowers on top....Question is, when is the best time to dig them,,,,I have been told when the flowers die and also been told when the whole plant wilts....which is right?

#2 nra1ifer OFFLINE  

nra1ifer

Tractorholic

• Contributor
  • Member No: 383
  • 669 Thanks
  • 1,530 posts

Posted July 13, 2010 - 11:40 PM

I like to dig my potatoes when the tops start to turn yellow. That's somewhere in between the last blooms and when the whole plant is wilted.

#3 NUTNDUN OFFLINE  

NUTNDUN

Lost in Cyber Space

• Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 3
  • 10,266 Thanks
  • 15,618 posts

Posted July 14, 2010 - 05:31 AM

That is good info, I have never planted potatoes before but would like to once we get the garden setup at the new place.

#4 Bolens 1000 ONLINE  

Bolens 1000

DR. Bolens

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 7
  • 12,701 Thanks
  • 17,208 posts

Posted July 14, 2010 - 05:51 AM

I like to dig my potatoes when the tops start to turn yellow. That's somewhere in between the last blooms and when the whole plant is wilted.

I do the same thing.
When the tops turn yellow I did them up.
Right now I've had mine in since late may and they are about 2 feet tall but no flowers yet. I usually dig them out in the fall.

#5 olcowhand OFFLINE  

olcowhand

Red Tractor Nut & Diesel Addict

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 20
  • 35,650 Thanks
  • 29,840 posts

Posted July 16, 2010 - 08:46 AM

I've always waited until the plants melt down, except to dig some early to have some potatoes & green beans fresh. No potatoes in my garden this year. Just too blamed hard keeping the bugs away.

#6 daytime dave ONLINE  

daytime dave

Live long and prosper

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 531
  • 4,485 Thanks
  • 6,353 posts

Posted July 22, 2010 - 06:02 PM

We haven't planted potatoes in a long time. We waited till the plant wilted as well. I love putting the fork in and unearthing them. Such fun.
It was as if you found buried treasure when I was a kid. When I grew up, I realized I had.

#7 oldgearhead OFFLINE  

oldgearhead

• Member No: 1891
  • 12 Thanks
  • 24 posts

Posted February 08, 2011 - 05:03 PM

I've always waited until the plants melt down, except to dig some early to have some potatoes & green beans fresh. No potatoes in my garden this year. Just too blamed hard keeping the bugs away.

Same here but, potatoes don't keep like they used too for me. Is it because I waited too late to dig them? I always have waited until the vines were dried.

#8 JD DANNELS OFFLINE  

JD DANNELS

Tractorholic

• Member No: 2011
  • 3,786 Thanks
  • 3,907 posts

Posted February 10, 2011 - 07:47 PM

I will have to admit it has been 10 yrs since I grew potaotoes. But used to plant about 600 hills per year. I always waited till the vines had died with the exception of a few hills dug early to have with fresh peas. Old Gear you say they don't keep well. I used to keep the ones,I did not share with family in a dark.cool, room in the basement and they kept well enough.
I used any left over in the spring for seed. There did seem to be a difference in how they kept based on the variety. Red potatoes did not seem to keep as well as the white potatoes?
I found I had the best luck with Kennebec Potatoes. A lot has changed since I grew potatoes, there was no Yukon Gold back then.
Oddly I am not a big potato eater, prefer Rice. But I think Potato Plants with their convoluted dark green leaves are one of natures prettiest plants.
After losing my home to a flood last August. I moved my family to an 8.9 acre property. You can be darn sure there will be a big garden this year and 600 hills of potatoes is about what one can get from 100 pounds of seed(so what the heck).
I would be interested in hearing from all as to what is working for you. especially of the newer varieties that have come out in the past 10 yrs.