jdslednut

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 77
  • 636 Thanks
  • 837 posts

Posted July 21, 2012 - 12:13 AM

Nothing chaps me more than an oil leak after a rebuild. My 214 has been dripping slowly ever since. I believe I prepped the surfaces well. I usually have good luck and have avoided leaks on my other projects. When I put it together this time, I want it to stay together. It only took me about 45 minutes from parking it in the garage to throwing my back out lifting the engine on to the floor (pretty proud and stupid at the same time). If you would use a gasket sealant on the pan, cam cover, fuel pump what color of the Permatex rainbow would you recommend?

#2 bowtiebutler956 OFFLINE  

bowtiebutler956
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 10021
  • 659 Thanks
  • 796 posts

Posted July 21, 2012 - 12:19 AM

I usually use whatever color is closest to the engine color, that way it doesn't stick out like a sore thumb! Most of the time, Black. :thumbs:

Matt

#3 CASENUT OFFLINE  

CASENUT

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1974
  • 501 Thanks
  • 865 posts

Posted July 21, 2012 - 01:52 AM

copper...it works great for high heat applications and does a trememdous job at it. you could use it as a sealer for the oil pan to help with exhaust gaskets, kind of a one stop shop...GL

#4 JDBrian OFFLINE  

JDBrian

Super Moderator

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2507
  • 9,574 Thanks
  • 14,136 posts

Posted July 21, 2012 - 04:43 AM

Those Kohler K's are a real boat anchor. I hope your back is OK! Have you identified the source of the leak? It doesn't take much to cause something to seep oil on those. There are so many spots for them to leak from. The one in my 314 is constantly wet as well. I think it's the cam cover. As long as the Permatex is rated for this application I don't think colour would matter. I'd use black or clear in a pinch. Clean everything and then clean it again with something like acetone to get as oil free a surface as possible.

#5 GTTinkerer OFFLINE  

GTTinkerer

GT Tinkerer

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1564
  • 1,153 Thanks
  • 1,326 posts

Posted July 21, 2012 - 05:41 AM

I prefer the old Permatex #2 gasket sealer that came in an 8 ounce bottle and had the brush applicator but I can't find it anymore so I went to the same product in a tube http://www.permatex....o_2_Sealant.htm . Color choice is easy because it only comes in one.

If I need a form a gasket product I use the Permatex clear.

Bill

#6 DougT ONLINE  

DougT

Dog Approved

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 584
  • 5,736 Thanks
  • 4,290 posts

Posted July 21, 2012 - 06:23 AM

The best sealer that permatex makes is a product called "The Right Stuff" The worst thing is if it has to come apart you almost need dynamite. I haven't bought silicone in years since I started using it. I buy it by the big caulk gun tube but they sell it in small tubes and also a cheeze whiz style can.
  • sacsr said thank you