• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 cesoir45 OFFLINE  

cesoir45
  • Member No: 10571
  • 1 Thanks
  • 3 posts

Posted July 20, 2012 - 10:13 PM

my power king wont run after it starts and runs about 15 to 20 minutes.It will start stalling and i can pull the choke out and it will sommetimes get me 10 more minutes of running.it wont start till it cools all the way down.It done this when i first got it,I put a new set of points and readjusted the valve lash,rebuilt the carbrerator,it fixed it for the summer then it started up again.The carb is wore out,it was almost past rebuilding.Someone told me it could be the valve stem guide thats letting the valve losing up as it run and gets to hot.Does that make any sense.some one help me this is the one i use the most and one of my favorite tractors too.Rick Smith

#2 MH81 ONLINE  

MH81

Proud to be Deplorable

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 802
  • 27,227 Thanks
  • 28,593 posts

Posted July 20, 2012 - 10:21 PM

Sounds like it's possibly vapor locking? Either that or gunk in the carb. Usually 15 minutes wouldn't be long enough to get it hot enough to vapor, but possible. Try rerouting the fuel line, make sure the fuel filter is clean & try it again.

Also, check the vent on the gas cap. It could be causing a vacuum in the tank if not venting properly.

I would try some GumOut or Seafoam in the tank & mix it heavy (2x directions). If the Additive helps, continue to use it every tank, just mix it as per the directions.

#3 Alc ONLINE  

Alc

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1094
  • 5,445 Thanks
  • 6,611 posts

Posted July 20, 2012 - 10:22 PM

Welcome to GTalk , it almost sounds like it's running out of fuel , did you try opening the gas cap in case the vent was plugged ? I'm sure others with have more ideas for you , Al

#4 Ryan313 OFFLINE  

Ryan313

PK Fanatic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 7087
  • 3,239 Thanks
  • 5,159 posts

Posted July 20, 2012 - 10:32 PM

First, welcome to the site! It sounds like something is backed up. I would clean the carb, replace any filters and make sure all the lines are clear. I had the same exact problem with my '71 1614. It turned out to be gunk in the petcock, restricting flow. We would love to see pics!

#5 cesoir45 OFFLINE  

cesoir45
  • 1 Thanks
  • 3 posts

Posted July 21, 2012 - 07:54 PM

It's not a beauty queen,it broke down before i could paint it.I use to work for a place where we painted parts for the Navy and Raytheon.they were going to sand blast and paint it for me.They said they they still would.they know they got tostay off wires and keep it out of certain parts,for those i wuld be thier to remove.they also got indutrial stength cleaner to get rid of 30 year old cakes up gunk on it.i wil try some of these things you said,so thanks i use to have some real good pics of my massey 14 horse

#6 Ryan313 OFFLINE  

Ryan313

PK Fanatic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 7087
  • 3,239 Thanks
  • 5,159 posts

Posted July 21, 2012 - 08:06 PM

It's not a beauty queen,it broke down before i could paint it.I use to work for a place where we painted parts for the Navy and Raytheon.they were going to sand blast and paint it for me.They said they they still would.they know they got tostay off wires and keep it out of certain parts,for those i wuld be thier to remove.they also got indutrial stength cleaner to get rid of 30 year old cakes up gunk on it.i wil try some of these things you said,so thanks i use to have some real good pics of my massey 14 horse

It does not have to look like showroom new, although a good paint job is always nice! I would rather have an ugly tractor that is a real workhorse then have a great looking tractor that can't do anything.

We would love to see some pics of the MF14! Make sure to post them over in the Massey section!

#7 cesoir45 OFFLINE  

cesoir45
  • 1 Thanks
  • 3 posts

Posted July 22, 2012 - 10:37 AM

i will, thats my pride and joy there,and my wife acually likes that one. thanks