IamSherwood

Elf guardian

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2066
  • 8,379 Thanks
  • 7,696 posts

Posted July 20, 2012 - 06:10 AM

Is this really what it's coming to? (In Canada)

http://www.theglobea...article4420849/

So, if that GT you want to sell, doesn't have all the safety features of a new one, you're
supposed to take it to the scrap yard?
  • MH81, caseguy and Fabman have said thanks

#2 Reverend Blair OFFLINE  

Reverend Blair

Tractorholic

• Member No: 1659
  • 501 Thanks
  • 952 posts

Posted July 20, 2012 - 06:35 AM

I kind of take everything Margaret Wente says with a grain of salt. She's a bit of a...what's the word I'm looking for? Oh yeah, loon.

She's given to getting her facts wrong, making mountains out of molehills, and just generally misrepresenting reality. Her hysteria is often entertaining, but seldom based in reality.

Edited by Reverend Blair, July 20, 2012 - 06:36 AM.

• caseguy said thank you

#3 MH81 ONLINE  

MH81

Proud to be Deplorable

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 802
  • 27,317 Thanks
  • 28,635 posts

Posted July 20, 2012 - 06:49 AM

If even 1% of that story is true, I have many, many opinions on the subject that an impartial moderator should keep to himself.

I also know several adult words that I would impress the first inspector with and a decent understanding of my US Second Amendment rights.

I suppose if everything you sold had a disclaimer attached stating that it does not meet current Health Department standards, is not being sold with the intention of reuse and is only being sold as an antique or curiosity, for display purposes only...
  • caseguy said thank you

#4 twostacks OFFLINE  

twostacks

• Member No: 6470
  • 447 Thanks
  • 426 posts

Posted July 20, 2012 - 07:54 AM

I would say that's over the top a little. At least around here there would be a lot of job openings for inspectors because they'd need them. Yard sales on the weekends are more plentiful than the stinkbug population. Gary
  • caseguy and johndeereelfman have said thanks

#5 twostep ONLINE  

twostep

Rockstar

• Contributor
  • Member No: 10198
  • 1,850 Thanks
  • 2,476 posts

Posted July 20, 2012 - 08:14 AM

I suppose if everything you sold had a disclaimer attached stating that it does not meet current Health Department standards, is not being sold with the intention of reuse and is only being sold as an antique or curiosity, for display purposes only...

The whole point is that you shouldn't have attach a disclaimer. "SOLD AS IS" is all that is needed. Darwin needs a greater role in our world...

#6 skyrydr2 ONLINE  

skyrydr2

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 5032
  • 3,418 Thanks
  • 3,164 posts

Posted July 20, 2012 - 09:29 AM

LOL, Yup, regulate yard sales, and throw sick people out of the hospital early because it cost's too much...... Yeah..... Just what we need , more government, ......one word comes to mind.....
  • caseguy and twostep have said thanks

#7 tinner OFFLINE  

tinner

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 961
  • 502 Thanks
  • 1,561 posts

Posted July 20, 2012 - 10:44 AM

It's a growing trend here in the USA too. Government officials listen to someone crying "The sky is falling." so they go crazy trying to figure out how to make us protect ourselves. A fine example is the gas cans you can buy today. They are so difficult to use no body likes them and they just remove the cap and use a funnel to poor gas into their mowers. In government's eye we're a world of idiots who must be protected from ourselves by bureaucrats who think they know everything.
  • IamSherwood and twostep have said thanks

#8 daytime dave ONLINE  

daytime dave

Live long and prosper

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 531
  • 4,485 Thanks
  • 6,353 posts

Posted July 20, 2012 - 11:03 AM

Thanks for that article Will. I think in either country it goes to a liability issue that lawyers thrive on. Plenty of lawmakers are lawyers, helping their brethren whenever possible. As for us, the average citizen, we are supposed to just sit and say OK.

This post is offered with no warranties expressed or implied. It is offered as is. Reader beware.
  • KennyP said thank you

#9 twostep ONLINE  

twostep

Rockstar

• Contributor
  • 1,850 Thanks
  • 2,476 posts

Posted July 20, 2012 - 12:34 PM

...Plenty of lawmakers are lawyers...

Okay, we've completed the first step by identifying the problem...

#10 KC9KAS OFFLINE  

KC9KAS
  • Member No: 10038
  • 4,783 Thanks
  • 4,303 posts

Posted July 20, 2012 - 03:51 PM

My wife seems to think this "Law" in Canada is also in effect here in the Good 'Ole USA.

I think a sign at your yard sale stating "Sold as is" should be good enough!

Maybe I could get the money back on a Lemon GT I bought a few years ago...........ha, ha..

#11 HowardsMF155 OFFLINE  

HowardsMF155

Tractorholic

• Member No: 4243
  • 2,699 Thanks
  • 2,916 posts

Posted July 20, 2012 - 05:45 PM

Lawers and the law.....I am currently living in the situation where my father's estate owes money to a mortgage company, but the house that secures the mortgage legally belongs to myself and my siblings, and we must pay seperately for upkeep. It gets even better, because we want to sell the house, yet every document has to be signed by all 4 siblings, and because this is a community property state, our spouses have to sign as well. I'm still trying to figure out a good way to get all this done. :deadhorse:

#12 UncleWillie ONLINE  

UncleWillie

wabbit wangler

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 10399
  • 12,765 Thanks
  • 7,703 posts

Posted July 20, 2012 - 07:31 PM

For years liberals have been trying to get rid of old stuff, be it cars, mowers, televisions, or anything else that they can no longer make money on. The manufacturers are behind these stupid laws as well ( cash for clunkers ring a bell). The more disposable a product is the more money manufacturers stand to make on selling new ones. Since this is being done under the all encompassing guise of protecting consumers with safer products people just eat it up. As long as the general public is stupid, lead by the liberal media, and provided for by the government they will continue to allow these practices to continue.

Government does not want people to have any ability to provide for themselves. Anything they cannot control they want to ban. You want to smoke sorry that is illegal. Want a gun, sorry you might hurt someone. Drive an old car, sorry it is polluting and unsafe, live in an old house, oops it has dangerous chemicals in it. Grow your own vegetables, sorry you cant do that they might spread disease.

As long as government controls education and the media these "protective laws" will continue to spread and take away more of our freedoms.

And before you say, " that is in Canada not the USA" take a look at the current laws.
  • tinner and twostep have said thanks

#13 Fabman OFFLINE  

Fabman

• Member No: 3229
  • 257 Thanks
  • 374 posts

Posted July 20, 2012 - 11:35 PM

Thanks for the article Will. I agree with all you guys too. Its just one big conspiracy that just keeps getting better by the day. One thing could help us all would be to give anyone who wants to be in goverment take a moron test. end of problem!!

#14 twostep ONLINE  

twostep

Rockstar

• Contributor
  • 1,850 Thanks
  • 2,476 posts

Posted July 21, 2012 - 12:30 AM

For years liberals have been trying to get rid of old stuff, be it cars, mowers, televisions, or anything else that they can no longer make money on. The manufacturers are behind these stupid laws as well ( cash for clunkers ring a bell). The more disposable a product is the more money manufacturers stand to make on selling new ones. Since this is being done under the all encompassing guise of protecting consumers with safer products people just eat it up. As long as the general public is stupid, lead by the liberal media, and provided for by the government they will continue to allow these practices to continue.

Government does not want people to have any ability to provide for themselves. Anything they cannot control they want to ban. You want to smoke sorry that is illegal. Want a gun, sorry you might hurt someone. Drive an old car, sorry it is polluting and unsafe, live in an old house, oops it has dangerous chemicals in it. Grow your own vegetables, sorry you cant do that they might spread disease.

As long as government controls education and the media these "protective laws" will continue to spread and take away more of our freedoms.

And before you say, " that is in Canada not the USA" take a look at the current laws.

quoted because you can't say it enough. our founding fathers had this county to flee to... my question is where will we have?

#15 Gary_QH OFFLINE  

Gary_QH
  • Member No: 10445
  • 6 Thanks
  • 31 posts

Posted July 21, 2012 - 10:04 AM

Amen Brother!

I still think about the "Cash for Clunkers" nonsense. Makes me really sick when I think of the perfectly good cars that were destroyed that could have been donated to people in need who couldn't afford a new car. Oh, and a lot of the destroyed cars were real classics too! I think one was a Buick GNX? Who was the idiot that traded that one in?