Amigatec

Collector of Rusty Junk

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 5899
  • 2,023 Thanks
  • 3,172 posts

Posted July 19, 2012 - 08:13 PM

We installed a Generiac Standby Generator a couple of years ago, and it has been working fine.

Well to night the power went out, and the generator didn't start. I went out there in the rain to find the battery cables weren't making good contact. I got it running manually, so this weekend I will be cleaning cables.

#2 MH81 ONLINE  

MH81

Proud to be Deplorable

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 802
  • 27,269 Thanks
  • 28,607 posts

Posted July 19, 2012 - 09:20 PM

Isn't it amazing what a little corrosion will do? Glad you got it running.

#3 wvbuzzmaster OFFLINE  

wvbuzzmaster

Squeaky Wheel

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1792
  • 4,492 Thanks
  • 7,341 posts

Posted July 19, 2012 - 10:04 PM

Glad you got it running. We had similar issue couple weeks ago only we never started our generator regularly, and it is a 1968 model military 10 KW generator. :)

#4 HydroHarold OFFLINE  

HydroHarold
  • Member No: 9622
  • 702 Thanks
  • 977 posts

Posted July 30, 2012 - 09:02 PM

Generator didn't start! I feel your pain!!! Nothing worse for a "self sufficient type guy" than to smugly head out to the genny in the dark, cold, snowy, hailing, sleeting, storming wind to once again prove to the world the expenditure for a generator was worth the price and expecting to be a hero... And the @#$*%& WON'T START!

If it's a pull start it will always sound like it will start on the very next pull... It won't! If it's an electric start, naturally the battery is flat dead. IF you have one that has a pull start backup starter... It will sound like it will start on the very next pull... and you guessed it, it won't and like the rope start guys, you'll feel that ligament in your shoulder for weeks!

I learned my lesson with my old 3KW "Choke Free Pull Start" Tecumseh, get that starting procedure down pat in the worst conditions when the POWER IS STILL ON and the shop still has lights. Find out what sneaky little tricks your unit needs to convince it to start every single time BEFORE the dreaded black of rainy night. Now I have a 7500w Generac with the little square cell no-fillem battery AND the rope. You can be sure I may not know how many V's are left in the battery, but I DO know that when it's 9ºF and with only one half dead blinky flashlight, I can start that sucker on the second pull of the rope. (Haugh, haugh, hauuuugh!)

And... that questionable "gas" business? Every 6 months the five gallons in my generator goes into a can for the next tractor fill-up and new Stabil-ized gas goes into the generator. The tractor may not start, the snowblower may not start... I can always hire kids to shovel the driveway for $500... But if it's snowing and my house goes dark and the toilet won't flush... it will be another frying pan mark on side of my head if the generator won't start!
:smilewink:
  • HDWildBill said thank you

#5 Amigatec OFFLINE  

Amigatec

Collector of Rusty Junk

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 5899
  • 2,023 Thanks
  • 3,172 posts

Posted July 31, 2012 - 03:30 AM

That's why I went this route, I didn't want to have to go out in the middle of the night and play with it until it starts. I also didn't want to have to store a bunch of gas and have to rotate it out. I live in a small town and we only have 2 gas stations, and if I don't have power then they won't either. These small town are always the last ones to get the power restored.

We don't get a lot of snow and ice, but it happened twice in 3 years in the area, we were lucky it missed us both times. Some people went for days without power. When the tornado came through last year, the generator ran about 40 hours before power was restored. The started and ran just like it was designed to do.

I did go out last weekend and start it manually, I will do that now at least once a month.