#16 EricFromPa ONLINE  

EricFromPa

Tractorholic

• Contributor
  • Member No: 2135
  • 2,287 Thanks
  • 2,326 posts

Posted July 27, 2012 - 02:55 PM

Wow nice buy.Creaper gear,Hydro lift,Sleave hitch,Grote tail light and headlights were all optional add ons that could be purchased from the Dealer.
Very nice looking steering wheel and center cap.

The paint looks to be Cat yellow.

You are missing the hood baffle.Those are always broke or cracked but they do put pressure on the hood roller/latches and keep the hood from popping up by it's self.
And the Wire harness looks like it was butchered a bit.It should be neatly tucked below the Genny,inside the frame rail.It's defintly a bit to short to route it correctly without adding wire back to it.You can still get new reproduction Wiring harneses for these and they aren't that salty.

#17 IHCubGuy ONLINE  

IHCubGuy

Tractorholic

• Member No: 3438
  • 1,356 Thanks
  • 1,474 posts

Posted July 27, 2012 - 07:02 PM

I don't wanna get in trouble for directing you to a different site, but here is a link to a guy that makes awesome wiring harnesses that are just like original. I am not 100% sure he still does it but I believe he does, I would shoot him an email to make sure. His prices if they are the same as listed are well below what dealer prices are.

http://www.cubcadetc....php?f=16&t=271
  • jstiteler said thank you

#18 jstiteler OFFLINE  

jstiteler
  • Member No: 10535
  • 9 Thanks
  • 44 posts

Posted July 28, 2012 - 08:00 AM

Wow nice buy.Creaper gear,Hydro lift,Sleave hitch,Grote tail light and headlights were all optional add ons that could be purchased from the Dealer.
Very nice looking steering wheel and center cap.

The paint looks to be Cat yellow.

Thank you Eric!

It is School Bus Yellow. I want to repaint it, but I plan to get the other stuff done first. I just need a day off to go through everything. I hopefully will have a chance at somepoint this weekend.

My wife, who argued with me about the thing, asked me lastnight when I could show her how to drive it and offered to mow the yard. I'll have her hooked in no time. She is a perfectionist and likes to paint, so maybe I can pawn that off on her. :laughingteeth:

#19 jstiteler OFFLINE  

jstiteler
  • 9 Thanks
  • 44 posts

Posted July 28, 2012 - 08:01 AM

I don't wanna get in trouble for directing you to a different site, but here is a link to a guy that makes awesome wiring harnesses that are just like original. I am not 100% sure he still does it but I believe he does, I would shoot him an email to make sure. His prices if they are the same as listed are well below what dealer prices are.

http://www.cubcadetc....php?f=16&t=271

Looks good! I'll email him next week. Thank you for the link.

Edited by jstiteler, July 28, 2012 - 09:34 AM.

#20 jstiteler OFFLINE  

jstiteler
  • 9 Thanks
  • 44 posts

Posted July 28, 2012 - 08:52 PM

So I'm a bit confused. In my looking over the tractor. I have found original cub cadet paint, but I'm also finding red... Any suggestions as to why?

#21 IHCubGuy ONLINE  

IHCubGuy

Tractorholic

• Member No: 3438
  • 1,356 Thanks
  • 1,474 posts

Posted July 28, 2012 - 09:59 PM

Primer? Or someone painted over it and then it got painted over top of that again maybe. Shouldn't be any real reason to be red as they were not painted red originally.

#22 jstiteler OFFLINE  

jstiteler
  • 9 Thanks
  • 44 posts

Posted August 01, 2012 - 09:45 AM

There is at least $600 worth of options on that tractor! Definately looks like a good buy. Even has a decent pin on 48 inch deck. They are not the easiest decks to come by. If that Grote light on the back is an origianl they are not easy to come by either.

Some things that I would check out. The wiring to the voltage reg is routed improperly and looks too short to be routed the right way. It should tuck down behind the starter/generator and go forward between the oil pan and the inner top side of the frame rail and then continue forward to the grill and run up the inside of the grill and then over to the volt reg. May want to check it and see why, might need rewired. Why are the back wheels held on with bolts instead of lugs? Holes wolloed out on the axles maybe? If you do work with the wiring maybe get a new dash tower for it. Shouldn't be an amp meter on that model and the choke and light switch are moved around from where they should be. Choke should be more in the neighborhood of the amp gauge and the light switch should be mounted to the left side of the dash tower sitting on the seat. Not trying to pooint out faults, just some questions you may want to look into. All in all though it looks like a nice rig to me. Congrats on the find.

So I have had a bit of time to look over a few things this week. I think the wiring harness is in fairly good shape, but is definitely not run correctly. I am going to disconnect a few things and see if I can get it run the right way. I do plan on rewiring the thing, but at least I will be able to get an accurate measurement of the wire lengths. I haven't been able to track down a tower assembly, but plan to keep looking for one. The rear bolts are actually the studs/lugs to attach the spacer for an additional set of rear wheels. I plan on changing the studs out and using lugs. How can I determine if the Grote light is original?

Also I can't seem to find the serial number of this thing.

I'm currently in the process of working through the fuel system and replacing gaskets and what not. Man these things are fun.

Once again, thank you for the advice!

#23 KennyP ONLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2253
  • 28,372 Thanks
  • 39,644 posts

Posted August 01, 2012 - 02:12 PM

Some of the earlier Cubs had the serial stamped into the frame. I'm thinking just behind the right rear wheel in front of the axle.

#24 Ryan313 OFFLINE  

Ryan313

PK Fanatic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 7087
  • 3,239 Thanks
  • 5,159 posts

Posted August 01, 2012 - 02:20 PM

I just saw this thread, you got a great tractor! All the options will make it VERY useful!

The serial number is stamped onto a little tag on the back of the left rear axle tube. It should be all the way down the axle tube next to the case. I think, I could be wrong. Since it was painted it was probably painted over.

#25 KennyP ONLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 28,372 Thanks
  • 39,644 posts

Posted August 01, 2012 - 02:23 PM

Ryan, I am not sure when they started the tag on the rear housing. I think the 122 is before that, but not positive. If the tag is not on the rear, then the serial is stamped into the frame on the right side.

#26 Ryan313 OFFLINE  

Ryan313

PK Fanatic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 3,239 Thanks
  • 5,159 posts

Posted August 01, 2012 - 02:30 PM

Ryan, I am not sure when they started the tag on the rear housing. I think the 122 is before that, but not positive. If the tag is not on the rear, then the serial is stamped into the frame on the right side.

I didn't think about that! Well, that is how it is on my 124. Lol. Either way, I think it would be worth looking if he can't find it on the frame.

#27 KennyP ONLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 28,372 Thanks
  • 39,644 posts

Posted August 01, 2012 - 02:32 PM

My 108 has the tag and it's a '72. I'm not sure when they started putting them on.

#28 Ryan313 OFFLINE  

Ryan313

PK Fanatic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 3,239 Thanks
  • 5,159 posts

Posted August 01, 2012 - 02:34 PM

My 108 has the tag and it's a '72. I'm not sure when they started putting them on.

My 124 is a '67, I don't know when they started either. I am no cub expert! LOL!

Edited by Ryan313, August 01, 2012 - 02:34 PM.

#29 KennyP ONLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 28,372 Thanks
  • 39,644 posts

Posted August 01, 2012 - 02:38 PM

I just snuck over to OCC and found this, a third location:
Posted Image

#30 jstiteler OFFLINE  

jstiteler
  • 9 Thanks
  • 44 posts

Posted August 01, 2012 - 07:40 PM

You guys were right. It is stamped on a tag on the frame. Thank you!