30 replies to this topic

#1 jstiteler OFFLINE  

jstiteler
  • Member No: 10535
  • 9 Thanks
  • 44 posts

Posted July 19, 2012 - 06:00 PM

Good evening,

I am going to look at a Cub Cadet 122 tomorrow. I'm pretty excited, but would like to know if there are certian things I should look for or check. I plan on giving it a good looking over and have been reading through the foums, but this potentially being my first GT, I do not want to overlook something. Thank you in advance for your imput.

Jason

#2 timtractor OFFLINE  

timtractor

• Contributor
  • Member No: 4824
  • 224 Thanks
  • 376 posts

Posted July 19, 2012 - 06:37 PM

The main things to check over is to see how the tires look, see how clean the oil is, ask the owner if it uses any oil, and listen to see how good the motor runs.

If those things look good then it would be a good tractor to start out your collection with. Good Luck.
  • jstiteler said thank you

#3 IHCubGuy OFFLINE  

IHCubGuy

Tractorholic

• Member No: 3438
  • 1,359 Thanks
  • 1,475 posts

Posted July 19, 2012 - 07:25 PM

Depending on what options it has its value will increase. Things that are desirable to have that were NOT standard equipment would be headlights, creeper transmission, rear sleeve hitch,wheel weigths, hydraulic lift or if not a spring assist on the manual lift. Plain tractor could be worth 200 or an optioned out one could be worth 800. Just depends. Good luck.

#4 jstiteler OFFLINE  

jstiteler
  • 9 Thanks
  • 44 posts

Posted July 20, 2012 - 08:35 AM

Thanks guys. I'll let you know how it all works out.

#5 LTD OFFLINE  

LTD

Cub Cadet Collector

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 5951
  • 1,028 Thanks
  • 1,455 posts

Posted July 20, 2012 - 10:36 AM

Good. Can't wait to see pics.

#6 jstiteler OFFLINE  

jstiteler
  • 9 Thanks
  • 44 posts

Posted July 22, 2012 - 07:30 PM

Well I bought a Cub 122 this morning. I know y'all like pictures so here you go!

Cub 122 Right.jpg

Cub 122 Rear.jpg

Cub 122 Left.jpg

Cub 122 Front.jpg

Cub 122 Top.jpg

Cub 122 Engine Right.jpg

Cub 122 Engine Left.jpg

Cub 122 Deck.jpg

Cub 122 Right with Deck.jpg

#7 sacsr OFFLINE  

sacsr

Bush Hog Addict

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 4776
  • 3,268 Thanks
  • 3,283 posts

Posted July 22, 2012 - 08:27 PM

Congratulations on the purchase! Looks good! Yes we do like pictures! Thanks for posting them!

#8 timtractor OFFLINE  

timtractor

• Contributor
  • Member No: 4824
  • 224 Thanks
  • 376 posts

Posted July 22, 2012 - 08:32 PM

You have a real nice looking unit. I see it has hydraulics , rear lifting, and the creaper drive unit.

#9 GTTinkerer OFFLINE  

GTTinkerer

GT Tinkerer

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1564
  • 1,153 Thanks
  • 1,326 posts

Posted July 22, 2012 - 09:46 PM

Definitely a little better than most others you would find for that model and year. As Tim said the hydraulics and rear lift are great options. Paint and sheet metal also looks very good. But like Lays potato chips one is never enough.

Bill

#10 jstiteler OFFLINE  

jstiteler
  • 9 Thanks
  • 44 posts

Posted July 23, 2012 - 07:05 AM

Thanks guys! I am pretty excited to get my first one also, and was pleased to find on in such good shape. The hood seems to be painted close to the right color and it looks good. The frame and such is a little splotchy and a little off, so I figured I will sand and repaint it and the deck in the fall.

Edited by KennyP, July 24, 2012 - 05:33 AM.
Adjusted font

#11 IHCubGuy OFFLINE  

IHCubGuy

Tractorholic

• Member No: 3438
  • 1,359 Thanks
  • 1,475 posts

Posted July 23, 2012 - 07:55 PM

There is at least $600 worth of options on that tractor! Definately looks like a good buy. Even has a decent pin on 48 inch deck. They are not the easiest decks to come by. If that Grote light on the back is an origianl they are not easy to come by either.

Some things that I would check out. The wiring to the voltage reg is routed improperly and looks too short to be routed the right way. It should tuck down behind the starter/generator and go forward between the oil pan and the inner top side of the frame rail and then continue forward to the grill and run up the inside of the grill and then over to the volt reg. May want to check it and see why, might need rewired. Why are the back wheels held on with bolts instead of lugs? Holes wolloed out on the axles maybe? If you do work with the wiring maybe get a new dash tower for it. Shouldn't be an amp meter on that model and the choke and light switch are moved around from where they should be. Choke should be more in the neighborhood of the amp gauge and the light switch should be mounted to the left side of the dash tower sitting on the seat. Not trying to pooint out faults, just some questions you may want to look into. All in all though it looks like a nice rig to me. Congrats on the find.

#12 jstiteler OFFLINE  

jstiteler
  • 9 Thanks
  • 44 posts

Posted July 24, 2012 - 04:07 AM

Thanks! I will check that stuff out when my week slows down a bit. Why do you think stuff is moved around so much? I also noticed that I dont have the breather next to the creeper gear.

Edited by jstiteler, July 24, 2012 - 04:07 AM.

#13 Salatino OFFLINE  

Salatino

• Member No: 1100
  • 29 Thanks
  • 188 posts

Posted July 25, 2012 - 11:12 PM

Well you def. got a real nice cub! I'm not going to ask what you gave for it but for being your first gt , a cub at that you got a real nice start. I would be proud to have that one. If it was mine , if I knew it ran good ,I would do a good tune up on it ,change the trans fluid and def. rewire the whole thing.,well jsut got home a lil bit ago and I've gotta get somthing to eat. Enjoy

#14 jstiteler OFFLINE  

jstiteler
  • 9 Thanks
  • 44 posts

Posted July 27, 2012 - 08:19 AM

Will do. Are wiring harnesses available for them, or can I make one? The guy had it posted for $600, two 3 hour trips, one 1.5 hour "discussion" with the wife and I picked it up for $400.

#15 bgkid2966 OFFLINE  

bgkid2966

• Contributor
  • Member No: 8254
  • 1,407 Thanks
  • 1,327 posts

Posted July 27, 2012 - 11:28 AM

It looks like a great GT. That is a heck of a buy! Stick around and bring all your Cub questions here, these guys know there GT's.

Geno