Garden Tractor Forums banner

Stupid dipstick

1K views 7 replies 7 participants last post by  kbeitz 
#1 ·
Yes....Me, I am a stupid dipstick......and so is the one in my Massey........

I almost lost the engine in the MF10 this morning.........Checked the oil and there was barely a bit of black oil on the stick....real low. Seems this dipstick over 40 years (its a 1970) has developed a blackish stain on the dipstick where the oil sat, so when I checked the oil since spring when I changed it, I was thinking that stain was the oil level........I guess it burns a bit, no smoke, but I guess it does.....This morning when I checked it I noticed the blacker oil just on the end of the dipstick........Went to drain it and hardly any came out.....Put new oil in and took a piece of emery cloth to the dipstick and cleaned the stain off.....I will be checking the oil every tank of gas from now on......

#5 ·
I've done almost the same thing. Bought a new Snapper push mower once from the showroom floor. Got it home, checked the dip stick. Was maybe just a tad below full. Started it up and in about 20 to 30 seconds it seased up. Checked the dipstick, wiped it off, checked it again, no oil. I learned my lesson the hard way. Always wipe the stick and check it again. Thankfully the Co-op where I bought it fixed it free as they were not to have left the floor without oil in them.

#8 ·
I had a Kubota that the dip stick rubber keep moving up on the stick...
So every time I checked the oil I was pushing the stick lower into the pan...
I got lucky and seen what was happening...
I have another tractor and a motor cycle that I have when you check the oil and you pull the
stick out the first time it will be a dry as a bone... Hot oil pushes air into the tube and pushes
the oil down the tube so nothing touching the stick... After you take it out and reinstall it the
oil moves up the stick for a reading...

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.