Sickle Bar Questions

• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 bja105 OFFLINE  

• Member No: 10485
  • 196 Thanks
  • 191 posts

Posted July 19, 2012 - 04:14 PM

I think I want a sickle bar for my Cub Cadets or Ford. Those of you who have or have had one, how useful are they? I have 100 acres of field, pasture, and woods. I want a sickle bar to mow the 4 acres of horse pasture, to keep the weeds down. I also want to keep the trails cut for riding horses or garden tractors, and cut under the power wire. I would use this a lot.

Am I asking too much from a 4' sickle bar and a little tractor?

How do you use yours?

How do I find one? I am not opposed to buying one with another tractor attached.

• Robertjax said thank you

• Member No: 10038
  • 4,676 Thanks
  • 4,222 posts

Posted July 19, 2012 - 04:38 PM

I do not have a sickle bar, but I have used an agriculture sized one for years...
I think it (4 footer) would be too small for a 4 acre field. It would work fine to mow under the fence.
I think a GT with mower would work berret to mow trails.

#3 Gtractor ONLINE  

The Tractor Hoarder

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 782
  • 6,391 Thanks
  • 3,812 posts

Posted July 19, 2012 - 06:27 PM

Well, it will give you lots of set time! Several years ago my uncle's tractor was broke down and he bought one of those modern homeowner walk behind sickle mowers and mowed 4 or 5 acres of hay with it. He just grinned ear to ear the whole time.

Cub Cadet Collector

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 5951
  • 1,028 Thanks
  • 1,455 posts

Posted July 19, 2012 - 09:23 PM

I think you would be all right with a four footer. I just hooked mine up and you can really move along with it when the ground is flat and fairly smooth. They mow tall grass better than shorter stuff. If you get one for a Cub a Haban 402D or 402E would mount right up. A 402D fits the narrow frames and a 402E fits the wide frames.

#5 Reverend Blair OFFLINE  

Reverend Blair

• Member No: 1659
  • 501 Thanks
  • 952 posts

Posted July 20, 2012 - 06:12 AM

It'll be a little slow, but four acres with a four foot should be okay.

I still use the 3 foot on the front of my walking tractor for deep grass, and it does an excellent job.

We used to do about 80 acres of hay with a six foot, then rake it, bale it, stook it, pick up the bales, and put them in the loft.

#6 js5020 ONLINE  

• Member No: 7086
  • 526 Thanks
  • 661 posts

Posted July 20, 2012 - 10:03 AM

I think you would do just fine, I use one on a Gravely walkbehind, clipped about 2 acres of my tier2 vegetation yesterday,,,, I was even out on the lawn with it clipping buckhorn and carrot since there is no grass at the moment.

#7 tinner OFFLINE  

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 961
  • 502 Thanks
  • 1,561 posts

Posted July 20, 2012 - 09:38 PM

Jason, there is no way that will ever work for you, just box it up and send it to me and I'll keep it for you. :rofl2:
Seriously, that should work fine for you. Wish I had one and will some day if I can find one down this way.

#8 OldBuzzard ONLINE  

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 805
  • 6,413 Thanks
  • 4,614 posts

Posted July 21, 2012 - 02:59 AM

... How do I find one? ...

You can also use SearchTempest to search craigslist. It will allow you to search in an area around you.

Edited by OldBuzzard, July 21, 2012 - 03:01 AM.

• tinner said thank you

#9 tinner OFFLINE  

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 961
  • 502 Thanks
  • 1,561 posts

Posted July 21, 2012 - 09:44 AM

Thanks OldBuzzard, I knew there was a site to search with but couldn't remember the name of the site.

#10 Cvans ONLINE  

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 5412
  • 4,335 Thanks
  • 4,929 posts

Posted July 21, 2012 - 11:48 AM

I just rebuilt a John Deere #37 sickle mower. That is a 7' mower. Use it on the Fordson Dexta to mow the air field and road ditch which is 5 acres. Takes about an hour and a half. This is light cutting and I run in 5th gear. If it was weeds and heavy cutting it would take 2 to 3 times that long. Taking into consideration that you are only getting 3 to 3.5 feet of cut out of a 4' mower I'd say your going to be in for a long day on the tractor mowing your field. If your field is rough or has wire grass in it I wouldn't even consider it. :( If your looking for an excuse to spend a couple of days enjoying your equipment than that's another story.
I do have a 4' sickle mower for the Wheel Horse but haven't used it so I can't comment on that. Will say that a sickle mower uses a lot less horsepower than a Bush Hog or other type of rotary mower. Another thing you need to consider is the number of obstacles on your property including rocks, stumps, and the lay of the land.
Sorry for the long reply but there is a lot to consider and I'd hate to see you get into something you would regret later.
Good luck and have fun,

#11 HowardsMF155 OFFLINE  

• Member No: 4243
  • 2,688 Thanks
  • 2,910 posts

Posted July 21, 2012 - 12:12 PM

Jason, perhaps before you spend any money, you should get out on your garden tractor and ride around all these areas, in particular go around the field you would be mowing several times. That would give you a good feel for how easy or difficult it will be to ride your tractor in these areas. It may also give you some insight into how long it will take you to mow these areas. My dad lived out in the country, on 2.5 acres and we used a 40 inch deck with a Gravely tractor. It took a long time to do it, over half the day as I recall. That 2.5 acres included the house, a shed, a LARGE garden and some grape vines. You also mention that you have other open areas, and it may be you will eventually want to cut those as well, so think about that. As for cutting under a fence wire, I'd suggest you use Round-up to form a dead zone there. It will take you forever to move your sickle mower--Under the fence--out from the post--back under the fence--out from the post!!!!

#12 wawcub47 OFFLINE  

• Member No: 852
  • 68 Thanks
  • 167 posts

Posted July 21, 2012 - 01:14 PM

i have a sickle bar on a cub cadet . iuse it to mow a road bank. works pretty good, but the only problem is the sections and guards are smaller than ag type. the can be a job to find. At leasy where I live.

#13 IamSherwood OFFLINE  

Elf guardian

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2066
  • 8,378 Thanks
  • 7,696 posts

Posted July 21, 2012 - 07:47 PM

As Cvans said, I think you're going to get looooooots of seat time doing 4 acres. I use mine to do around the pond, and
the driveway edges. Great for that. I've also tackled a small field. Time consuming, but I enjoyed the seat time.

• Member No: 2011
  • 3,786 Thanks
  • 3,907 posts

Posted July 21, 2012 - 09:59 PM

It all depends on how much time your willing to spend in the seat. I am amazed when I see the video's on you tube of the walking machines used in the alps to cut hay on banks too steep to ride a machine. They even have snow plows mounted on the front to roll windrows down to the road for pickup. It can darn sure be done if your willing to take the time. Many are the hours I spent on a BF Averey model A with a 5 or 6 ft Ford mower( I don't remember the size) as a teenager mowing weeds that towered over you sitting on the seat.

I'm mowing 7 acres of field(grassed over cornfield) with a 48" roatary on my 318. The ground is so rough I can only stay in the seat at about 1/2 speed. So it is good advice to ride over the ground and see if you can take the beating the mower can.