Nominations for Tractor of the Month
Garden Tractors and Parts on eBay

Photo
- - - - -

Have These Standard Twin Pictures Been Seen Here?

standard twin conversion rider

• Please log in to reply
32 replies to this topic

#16 Alc ONLINE  

Alc

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1094
  • 5,459 Thanks
  • 6,628 posts

Posted July 25, 2012 - 10:35 AM

Thanks for posting that , looks like wheelbarrow wheels and tires wasn't that far off what was new . Al

#17 mrf1002u OFFLINE  

mrf1002u
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 10345
  • 95 Thanks
  • 162 posts

Posted November 06, 2012 - 04:28 PM

Well,

I just got back from Ohio the other day and I did get the old tractor back. As I said in the original post, it was converted to a 4 wheeler, but I will post pics here as soon as I take some. Not sure why I didn't think to take them sooner. I will have to find some rear wheels for it, since they are missing. It is set up to have 5 bolt car wheels on it right now, but if I had my choice, I would like steel, spoke wheels on it. I imagine they would not come cheap, so I will settle for what I can find. Someone made hubs that go over the keyed shaft, so I could use either attachment method. I don't imagine it will run since it has been stored for many years and I would imagine the mag and for sure the carb will need a rebuild. I need to resist the urge to tear into it until I finish my 37 JD B preservation, otherwise I may never get it done.

Anyway, pics to come!

#18 LilysDad OFFLINE  

LilysDad

Cat Lover

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 10443
  • 9,686 Thanks
  • 7,693 posts

Posted November 06, 2012 - 10:02 PM

The two wheel walk behind sure has the engine/ trans sticking out there! It looks like it would be very nose heavy without a sulky.

#19 mrf1002u OFFLINE  

mrf1002u
  • Contributor
  • 95 Thanks
  • 162 posts

Posted November 07, 2012 - 04:29 PM

I got some pictures at lunch with my iphone and enhanced them as best I could. According to the serial # it is (was) a 1942 Standard Twin. The T-posts were added by my father as bracing when we adapted it to be a corkscrew wood splitter when I was a teen. It wasn't very well suited to the task since we cut a lot of Elm trees and if you have ever split Elm, you will understand.

I have a set of the 5 bolt hubs like the one on the left rear axle that wil allow me to put car wheels on it. The odd adapter you see on the right rear axle was where the corkscrew splitter cone mounted.

At one time there was a seat mounted on the forward bolt of the top transmission cover. As a kid, my legs would dangle from there and not touch the ground. Not a problem anymore. Remember that the t- posts were not there back then, they were added later.

I will have to clean and inspect both axle housings as my Dad remembers cracking at least one of them with the stress of the wood splitter.

Anyway, here are the pics. Feel free to comment or ask questions.

Larry W.

Attached Thumbnails

• StandardTwin1e.JPG
  • StandardTwin2e.JPG
  • StandardTwin3e.JPG
  • StandardTwin4e.JPG
  • StandardTwin5e.JPG
  • StandardTwin6e.JPG

• LilysDad said thank you

#20 LilysDad OFFLINE  

LilysDad

Cat Lover

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 10443
  • 9,686 Thanks
  • 7,693 posts

Posted November 07, 2012 - 07:04 PM

If you restore this, I hope you walk us through it. What do you suppose the horse power on that twin is?

#21 DougT ONLINE  

DougT

Dog Approved

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 584
  • 5,733 Thanks
  • 4,290 posts

Posted November 08, 2012 - 08:11 AM

If you restore this, I hope you walk us through it. What do you suppose the horse power on that twin is?

The twin engine was rated at 5 HP. Looks like they used steel fence posts for frame rails.

#22 mrf1002u OFFLINE  

mrf1002u
  • Contributor
  • 95 Thanks
  • 162 posts

Posted November 08, 2012 - 04:33 PM

The twin engine was rated at 5 HP. Looks like they used steel fence posts for frame rails.

Actually, as stated in my earlier post, the t-posts (fence posts) were added by my Dad who didn't build it originally. He added them to strengthen it when we were splitting firewood with it. Originally all that held the front to the back was that "torque tube" that houses a drive shaft of some kind. Never seen the inside of it so I have no idea. I will remove the fence posts, just because I don't like them. I will try to get it running and rolling at the least. Full resto...not too sure. Of couse I did order one of the Standard Twin Stickers off of ebay today, just in case. Anything I do to it, I will post here, since Standard Twin updates are kinda slim on here. Gotta keep you guys awake. LOL

I would like to find the right sheet metal for the heads if possible. That tin looks really cheesy!

#23 mjodrey OFFLINE  

mjodrey

Accumulator

• Contributor
  • Member No: 92
  • 2,343 Thanks
  • 13,481 posts

Posted November 08, 2012 - 05:27 PM

Cool looking machine.

#24 mrf1002u OFFLINE  

mrf1002u
  • Contributor
  • 95 Thanks
  • 162 posts

Posted November 09, 2012 - 03:31 PM

After looking it over yesterday evening, the left wheel gear case is broken just under the ear that is used to suspend the brake band. (Red arrow in the pic.) Not sure how badly yet, or how far the crack goes around, but the axle still turns when turning the engine over. It am sure it was broken from to much torque. "Gear spread", due to the spur cut gears, may have literally broke the case apart from the inside. Either that or it twisted itself up under load. This would have been the side that was fouled in some way so the corkscrew wood splitter on the other side would keep turning under load. I can't remember how it was fouled.

Anyway, this weekend I am going to see if I can make it run again. I'll need to jack it up level and get some wheels or stands under it, so maybe I will be able to get a better look at the damage then.

As you may have noticed in the earlier pictures, the right side has a leak. It could be cracked also, but I hope not.

I may be hitting you guys up for spare parts before this is over. LOL

Attached Thumbnails

• Standard Break.jpg

#25 mrf1002u OFFLINE  

mrf1002u
  • Contributor
  • 95 Thanks
  • 162 posts

Posted November 26, 2012 - 09:26 AM

I got the Standard Twin Running on Sunday!! Here is a video over on my John Deere site.

http://mrf1002usjohn...tterfly.com/978

I forgot how quiet these are. I really don't know why anybody adds a muffler to them.

#26 mrf1002u OFFLINE  

mrf1002u
  • Contributor
  • 95 Thanks
  • 162 posts

Posted November 26, 2012 - 09:34 AM

I had the fan and shroud off to verify ignition timing. The original timing marks were very hard to find after all these years. I think I will re-engrave them before I remount the shroud.

#27 mrf1002u OFFLINE  

mrf1002u
  • Contributor
  • 95 Thanks
  • 162 posts

Posted November 26, 2012 - 09:38 AM

I added some pics to my album that show the broken left side gear housing. http://gardentractor...m/357-mrf1002u/

Luckily I tracked down some parts. The gears look fine, so I hope to get it driveable soon.

#28 DougT ONLINE  

DougT

Dog Approved

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 584
  • 5,733 Thanks
  • 4,290 posts

Posted November 26, 2012 - 09:54 AM

That runs pretty good on that Briggs carb! Glad to hear you found a housng.
  • mrf1002u said thank you

#29 mrf1002u OFFLINE  

mrf1002u
  • Contributor
  • 95 Thanks
  • 162 posts

Posted November 26, 2012 - 10:51 AM

Doug,

Actually this is still the Original Zenith 9711 carb. Little snafu with the shipping on the Briggs so I tried this one until the other arrives. Got lucky, but the lower jet is stripped out. I will use the Briggs carb while I work on this one. Seems plugged somewhere or has the wrong gasket, since neither needle seems to make much difference in the way it runs. I don't think a kit is even available for it so not sure what I will do there.

#30 mrf1002u OFFLINE  

mrf1002u
  • Contributor
  • 95 Thanks
  • 162 posts

Posted November 26, 2012 - 11:13 AM

Well, Dougs comment reminded me to check something I have been meaning to do. I called "The Carburetor Shop" - 204 EAST 15TH STREET, ELDON, MISSOURI 65026 - (573) 392-7378 and he claims to have a kit for the Zenith 9711. He says it will fit the 9711a and the 9711b. If you really need one he says it is $94.00. Ouch!, but I think they make these up for obsolete carbs and I imagine they are not a big seller, so I guess the price is understandable. Anyway if you have been looking, he says they have it.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: standard, twin, conversion, rider