Nominations for Tractor of the Month
Garden Tractors and Parts on eBay

Photo
- - - - -

Have These Standard Twin Pictures Been Seen Here?

standard twin conversion rider

• Please log in to reply
32 replies to this topic

#1 mrf1002u OFFLINE  

mrf1002u
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 10345
  • 95 Thanks
  • 162 posts

Posted July 19, 2012 - 02:30 PM

I was wondering if these pictures had ever been seen here before? They are not mine and neither is the tractor. My Dad had something similar, and I may be getting it back soon. I know it has 4 wheels, but I was told there was never a factory 4 wheeler so it started out as a two wheeler.

I loved that old engine. I always wanted to get the tractor out and ride it, but it was hard to start and sometimes Dad gave up. I was just a kid then. I think Dad thought it had some magneto trouble.

Anyway here are the pictures. I would love to see anything similar to it if someone has any. I know they had a sulky version so that is not what I am talking about. This one seems to be engineered pretty well. I am wondering if the toolbar (blue parts) were modified parts that came with the tractor. Anybody know?

Larry W.

Attached Thumbnails

• craigslist_106.jpg
  • craigslist_107_op_800x600.jpg
  • craigslist_108.jpg
  • craigslist_109.jpg
  • craigslist_110.jpg

• Gtractor, JDBrian and DB1 have said thanks

#2 Texas Deere and Horse OFFLINE  

Texas Deere and Horse

RED Wild Hogs, Horses & Deeres

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1435
  • 14,464 Thanks
  • 15,392 posts

Posted July 19, 2012 - 02:36 PM

That is one COOL tractor, I have never seen one like it. Thanks for posting. :thumbs:

Do you know what brand the engine is? I don't know anything about the tool bar, it someone took a lot time in the design.

#3 JDBrian OFFLINE  

JDBrian

Super Moderator

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2507
  • 9,574 Thanks
  • 14,136 posts

Posted July 19, 2012 - 03:27 PM

That is a very interesting tractor. I've never seen a steering linkage like that before. I'm not up on this older iron but I hope someone can shed some light on this. Thanks for posting.

#4 mrf1002u OFFLINE  

mrf1002u
  • Contributor
  • 95 Thanks
  • 162 posts

Posted July 19, 2012 - 03:57 PM

The engine is a 2 cylinder Standard Twin engine made by the Standard Engine Company. It apparenty started life as a 2 wheel walk behind Standard Twin tractor (see attached picture). I have been told that there were no 4 wheelers (unless you count the sulky) made by the factory, but some people modified them to be riders over the years. If you look closely at the trans, engine, shifter and linkage and then compare it to the two wheeler, you will see the parts are the same and have been reloacated. When and if I get my Dad's back, I will post pictures of it. It is similar, but different. That will be in November some time if I get it.

Yes, the steering is quite unusual.

I have looked for another 4 wheeler like the one Dad had for years, and this is the only one I have ever found. A friend of his did say he saw another one at a show once, but didn't get a picture or anything that I know of.

Larry

#5 mrf1002u OFFLINE  

mrf1002u
  • Contributor
  • 95 Thanks
  • 162 posts

Posted July 19, 2012 - 04:01 PM

OOOps,

I got side tracked and forgot about the comparison pictures. I also had a brain fart and forgot about another I did find at some point. Didn't mean to lie, just old age catching up. LOL Here are the pics.

Attached Thumbnails

• 2bd6d35e0.jpg
  • 2bd8ce5e0.jpg
  • 2be0d65e0.jpg
  • Rider.jpg

Edited by mrf1002u, July 19, 2012 - 04:05 PM.

• DB1 said thank you

#6 mrf1002u OFFLINE  

mrf1002u
  • Contributor
  • 95 Thanks
  • 162 posts

Posted July 19, 2012 - 04:14 PM

The one Dad had is more like the little rusty steel wheeled one...it has a tube going from the engine back to the trans with the engine mounted right out at the front instead of being set back like the one that is painted in the first pics.

That engine hand crank set up is interesting also. They had to have a way for the crank to reach the engine. It is normally just a crank that you use and then hang back in a hole on the tractor.

#7 DougT OFFLINE  

DougT

Dog Approved

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 584
  • 5,736 Thanks
  • 4,290 posts

Posted July 20, 2012 - 09:35 AM

I don't recognize the tool bar as being part of the original tractor. I'd like to see how the steering works on this tractor. It looks like the long bent arm coming from the steering gear is being used to push and pull the steering but I can't see how it could do anytihng but go front to back. I've seen several 4 wheelers made out of the twin including one that was a rear engine rider ike an Allis G. A buddy bought one at Portland swap meet last spring. It was going to be a parts machine but the more we looked at it he seemed to fall in love. Not sure what became of it. When I was out in Washington last June we found this piece of yard art. Looks like they just steered it with the brakes.

stdtwinrider.JPG stdtwinrider2.JPG
  • DB1 said thank you

#8 mrf1002u OFFLINE  

mrf1002u
  • Contributor
  • 95 Thanks
  • 162 posts

Posted July 20, 2012 - 10:56 PM

craigslist_109 Arrows.JPG Doug T,

I think you are right about the brake steering. Apparently there must be a pivot somewhere in front of the seat and near the transmission. Maybe a ball joint of some kind at the end of the large tube that connects the rear to the front?
That bar that goes over the main tube in an arc shape under the seat is obviously meant to slide left and right over the tube when the tractor turns. I see a roller on the top of that bar, not sure about the bottom,

Pretty cool tractor!

As for the steering on the original one I posted, I tried (crudely) to put some arrows on the picture that show movement and rotation of the parts. I used a straight line where a part moves in a straight line and an arced line where it moves in an arc like a windshield wiper. Hopefully it is more helpful than confusing. I never took geometry, so if someone sees a mistake, feel free to correct me. I drew a circle where multiple parts are connected and therefore would move together. It is easier to see the workings if you copy the picture and paste it into a picture viewer that has a zoom feature.

Edited by mrf1002u, July 20, 2012 - 10:58 PM.

• DB1 said thank you

#9 Alc ONLINE  

Alc

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1094
  • 5,459 Thanks
  • 6,629 posts

Posted July 23, 2012 - 09:19 PM

I remembered this post when I was at Jacktown this past weekend , I didn't have a chance to load all but here's sort of what you were looking for , Al

http://jacktown.org/

Attached Thumbnails

• P7210022.JPG
  • P7210023.JPG
  • P7210024.JPG
  • P7210025.JPG
  • P7210063.JPG
  • P7210064.JPG

• DougT, DB1 and mrf1002u have said thanks

#10 mrf1002u OFFLINE  

mrf1002u
  • Contributor
  • 95 Thanks
  • 162 posts

Posted July 24, 2012 - 11:43 AM

Thanks, Alc! Wow, yet another weird setup! The last 2 pictures are of the sulky version that was offered as an accessory by Standard Engine Company as I mentioned before. I am told that was as close to a rider as they ever offered. The other beast is a whole other story. I can't quite figure out if it pivots up front to steer or if the rear wheels turn and the frame is rigid to the tranny. The rear axle appears to be a drop axle, so it could have king pins. Did it say how it was steered, other than the obvious presence of a steering wheel? I see some rebar going through a hole in the rear crossmember that could be steering linkage of some kind. Very interesting. Thanks for the pics.

#11 mrf1002u OFFLINE  

mrf1002u
  • Contributor
  • 95 Thanks
  • 162 posts

Posted July 24, 2012 - 11:51 AM

The more I look at the pictures, the more I am convinced that it is a rear steer setup. There appears to be a tie rod at each end of the rear axle.

#12 DougT OFFLINE  

DougT

Dog Approved

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 584
  • 5,736 Thanks
  • 4,290 posts

Posted July 24, 2012 - 02:30 PM

The more I look at the pictures, the more I am convinced that it is a rear steer setup. There appears to be a tie rod at each end of the rear axle.

If you look at the 4th picture of the homade rider, there looks to be a chain or rod going back between the frame rails. I think that's probably for the steering. If you look at the front part of the frame rails you can see the original factory hitch points. If you look real close, you can see it is also using the roller bar like in the picture I posted. i'm sure the rig I posted was also using the factory hitch point up front. There are several different holes in it for various implements.

#13 Alc ONLINE  

Alc

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1094
  • 5,459 Thanks
  • 6,629 posts

Posted July 25, 2012 - 05:52 AM

Doug , do you think those tractors that I posted where homemade or some kind of aftermarket that where put on ? I know the one has wheelbarrow rims because the owner's dad told me the ones that came with it where rusted too bad . The first one has a dump bed which is pretty cool , Al

#14 mrf1002u OFFLINE  

mrf1002u
  • Contributor
  • 95 Thanks
  • 162 posts

Posted July 25, 2012 - 08:29 AM

If you look at the 4th picture of the homade rider, there looks to be a chain or rod going back between the frame rails. I think that's probably for the steering. If you look at the front part of the frame rails you can see the original factory hitch points. If you look real close, you can see it is also using the roller bar like in the picture I posted. i'm sure the rig I posted was also using the factory hitch point up front. There are several different holes in it for various implements.

Doug T,

I agree on the steering. If you save the picture to your PC and then open it in a picture viewer, it will be much bigger. Then you will see that the steering rod seems to be 2 pcs of rebar.

I also saw the similarity in the "roller bar".

#15 mrf1002u OFFLINE  

mrf1002u
  • Contributor
  • 95 Thanks
  • 162 posts

Posted July 25, 2012 - 08:34 AM

Sulky.jpg

do you think those tractors that I posted where homemade or some kind of aftermarket that where put on

Al,

The last two pics are definitely factory setup. It is the sulky attached to a Standard twin. See the factory image I attached. The other pics are homemade for sure.

Edited by mrf1002u, July 25, 2012 - 08:35 AM.

• Alc and DB1 have said thanks

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: standard, twin, conversion, rider