#1 OldBuzzard ONLINE  

OldBuzzard

Tractorholic

• Contributor
  • Member No: 805
  • 6,693 Thanks
  • 4,685 posts

Posted July 13, 2010 - 04:24 PM

Well, got the right points & condenser for the S-8D.

Need a bit of info & help.

It doesn't look like the rod that's supposed to open/close the points is moving. I'm turning the engine over by hand, and can't see or feel any movement at all.

I just hit it with a bit of PBlaster, hoping that if it's just 'stuck' that may loosen it up. Any other suggestions?

Also what would be the point gap? I think I've seen .020 mentioned, but it doesn't hurt to get confirmation.

One other Q. Is there any sort of timing mark on the S-8D?

#2 olcowhand ONLINE  

olcowhand

Red Tractor Nut & Diesel Addict

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 20
  • 37,229 Thanks
  • 30,214 posts

Posted July 13, 2010 - 04:53 PM

Yes, .020" is the static preliminary setting. Best to dial it in better with a ohmmeter. There is a pointed punched hole in the flywheel shroud and a indented line in the flywheel. Unhook wires connected to points, then connect ohmmeter to ground, other to points. The ohmmeter should read open circuit exactly when timing mark on flywheel aligns with the punched pointer. The .020 is a general starting point.

Edited by olcowhand, July 13, 2010 - 05:27 PM.

• Bill56 said thank you

#3 Bolens 1000 ONLINE  

Bolens 1000

DR. Bolens

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 7
  • 13,631 Thanks
  • 17,576 posts

Posted July 13, 2010 - 06:49 PM

:ditto:

Here are a few pics and pointers of the manual section:

wiscon 1.jpg

wiscon 2.jpg
  • Bill56 said thank you

#4 OldBuzzard ONLINE  

OldBuzzard

Tractorholic

• Contributor
  • Member No: 805
  • 6,693 Thanks
  • 4,685 posts

Posted July 20, 2010 - 03:16 PM

Spent most of last week down in Cincinnati, and just got back to resurrecting the 800.

I bought a battery earlier today, and the starter motor will turn the engine. :D

The only thing I find on the flywheel cover is a small oval hole. If I turn over the engine, I can find two lines in the flywheel, that just fit inside the oval. I'm guessing that this serves the same purpose as the other style.

Anyway, I'm still having the problem with the "push pin". It doesn't appear to be moving, and the points never open.

I've sprayed it with PBlaster a couple of times, and I'm almost to the point of using a dowel rod, and thumping it with a hammer to see it that might loosen it up. Thought I'd run that past you guys first though, as I don't want to damage anything

#5 Bolens 1000 ONLINE  

Bolens 1000

DR. Bolens

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 7
  • 13,631 Thanks
  • 17,576 posts

Posted July 20, 2010 - 03:41 PM

Spent most of last week down in Cincinnati, and just got back to resurrecting the 800.

I bought a battery earlier today, and the starter motor will turn the engine. :D

The only thing I find on the flywheel cover is a small oval hole. If I turn over the engine, I can find two lines in the flywheel, that just fit inside the oval. I'm guessing that this serves the same purpose as the other style.

Anyway, I'm still having the problem with the "push pin". It doesn't appear to be moving, and the points never open.

I've sprayed it with PBlaster a couple of times, and I'm almost to the point of using a dowel rod, and thumping it with a hammer to see it that might loosen it up. Thought I'd run that past you guys first though, as I don't want to damage anything

Yes, it is basically the same thing as shown in the pics. The older engines had the "oval" shaped hole.

In a little while I'll send you some PDF pages about the points and push pin....
  • OldBuzzard said thank you