Garden Tractor Forums banner

"next" Ford Lgt 195

14K views 82 replies 8 participants last post by  rat88 
#1 ·
I figured I would start a new thread on the Ford 195. My wife calls her big blue, but I have been referring to it as "Next", as in what is next? The tractor had not run in approximately fifteen years, so the first order of business was to see if she would start. Gas down the carb, fresh battery, and jumper cables. Fired right up after messing with coil and wiring, but would not stay running. Cleaned gas tank, replaced gas line, cleaned fuel pump, success, will now stay running, sounds good, and no smoke. Did I mention that everything on the machine is froze in place? I mean it will not move.

To make a long story short here is a list of everything that has been done in the last two months:
Clean gas tank
Replace gas line
Clean fuel pump
Free up brake shoes, disconnect brake linkage
Replace blown hydraulic hose
Remove, disassemble, and clean steering control valve
New hydraulic oil and filter
New rear tires (ouch)
Remove clutch (took over a week)
Solder new wire and replace clutch

Next: Engine oil change
Fix bearings and mount deck.
Free up brake pedal/linkage

Tire Wheel Tractor Automotive tire Vehicle
Wheel Tire Vehicle Automotive tire Tractor
Wheel Tire Vehicle Automotive tire Tread
Wheel Tire Automotive tire Vehicle Tread
Tire Wheel Vehicle Automotive tire Automotive lighting
Tire Wheel Plant Vehicle Automotive tire
Wheel Tire Motor vehicle Vehicle Automotive tire
Plant Motor vehicle Bumper Grass Automotive exterior

My short-term goal is to get the machine into a workable state, sooner or later it will rain again and the lawn will need mowed.

Question: Is the grill from a 145,165 the same size as mine? I understand that the mounts may be different and require modification.
Measurements are approximately 18 ¾ wide by 19 inches tall.

Automotive tire Grille Automotive lighting Motor vehicle Bumper
Wood Rectangle Grille Bumper Automotive exterior

Attachments

See less See more
#4 ·
A lot of work but worth it in the end. Those 195's aren't as common, at least up here, as the smaller Ford GT's. A really nice setup with the options you have.

Reactions: Bmerf
#5 ·
Just went out and mearured mine, it's the same size. But the parts manual gives it a different part #. May be because of the 'shelf' sticking out of it.

#7 ·
Thanks, Kenny for the info on the grill, mine is in rough shape, fixable but easier to replace by modifying one off a different tractor.

Russ I am glad to hear from you, your tractor is the one that brought me to this site. I believe my tractor was built directly after yours. My serial number is 1706.

When asked by my wife about the side covers, I told her they were invisible. I am currently waiting for a set from a 165 to be delivered. They will probably need to be modified to fit, Is there any way to get a picture of the proper mounting points/method?

#8 ·
Very tough looking old Ford! The ones you have to fight that hard for every inch of ground you gain, are the ones that you appreciate the most when they're back working the way they're supposed to!
Nice work.

Matt

#9 ·
The mounts are different from a 165 to a 195. I haven't seen how a 195 side panel fits, so I can't help there. Maybe we can sweet talk Russ into getting us some pics of his.

Reactions: Russ
#11 ·
Thanks for all the words of encouragement. Got the engine oil changed, manual says three quarts oil, glad I stopped at two. It's full. Ordered bearings for the belt guide on top of deck. They should be in next week. Then I can mount deck and see how she mows. Removed most of the brake linkage today, freed up pedal assembly.

Next, clean and reinstall all brake linkage and test. Hood side panels should be here next week. Will see what it takes to mount them. I know I will be cutting a section out of the left panel to clear steering linkage.

#12 · (Edited by Moderator)
Hey, I will put the pic of the mount parts on here tomorro, No prob at all,, Its to dark to get the pic tonite,, I don't know how they are on the 165 but I sure thought they are the same between the 165 an the 195 but not sure at all,, An also Bmerf I don't see why you will have to cut the side pannels for the steering cause the pannel gose on with out em havein to be cut, But still I don't know how the 165 are,, An yea thats a good Idea about tellin ya wife abut the pannel's invisibale,,,lol

#13 ·
On the fram in front is a stud like that the side pannel goes on an the side pannel has a hole for it at the bottom,, The back end of the fram for the side pannel has a hole in it an the back end of the side pannel has a stud like that slides in the hole,, For the top of the pannels is pos to have a long spring going from side to side an hooks in a hole in the middle of the pannels,, Also you can see how the pannel goes between the fram an the steering,,, Hope this helps, I went outside to my shed an got lites on my 195 an took the pic tonight for ya cause I going Bass fishing in morning an not sure what time I will be back,,, hehehe,,

Attachments

#14 ·
Also Bmerf I don't have the long spring thats pos to hold the top of the pannels but I use a wrie for now an just tie it,, I going to be tearin my 195 apart after this summer an repaintin it all up an fixing whatever needs to be fix,, Right now I really enjoy useing my 195 for mowing the grass an lots of liftin diff stuff of all kinds with the forks on the back that I made up,,lol,, Taken motors off of boats when I need to with the motor puller I made for it,, An sure not havein any probs at all with my 195,, She sure does a great job for everything I could ask for,,,, Only pro I have is that they don't make a radio loud enough for a deaf man to here while ridein my 195,, hehehe,, Good luck with your 195 an sure hope you an ya wife keeps ya 195,, My wife keeps trying to take mine away from me,,lol

#16 ·
Here are the pics as promised. I saw no need to get the left side as it is the same as the right. I did state above that the left side went behind the steering arm. That is incorrect, it goes over.
The front mounting tab bolt is spot welded in place. I see no reason you couldn't cut the spot weld and make the hole fit the 195 mount.
At the rear, the mount may be in the wrong position. I don't know for sure on this.
Rectangle Wood Motor vehicle Automotive exterior Plant
Tire Wheel Automotive tire Motor vehicle Tread

Here is a pic of the spring that holds them in place:
Automotive tire Bumper Automotive exterior Gas Chair

Attachments

#17 ·
Thank-you Russ and Kenny,
I now have a better idea as to how the panels mount. Can't wait until they get here. I have the stud thing in front as seen in Russ's first picture, should fit the hole in the front of the new panels. The back is probably in the wrong location, My idea was to hopefully move the rear 165 mount to the correct location or fabricate a new one, but did not have any idea as to what they looked like or where they mounted.
Russ the left 165 panel doesn't have the cut out for the steering gear as seen in your last photo, it is identical to the right in appearance. Looks like a simple lazy "L" cut for clearance. Could you tell me if your panel is simply cut and left with a flat straight edge or is the edge rolled over in this location?
BTW invisible panels don't hold paint very well.
Thanks again,
Brian

#22 ·
That rear bracket will have to move. Russ, could you get a measurement from the top down to the bracket (not the locater)? Also one from the rear to the center line of it? That would get him close to where it goes.
Thanks for helping, Russ. I hope we can find your PTO soon!
One other thing, Russ get a measurement from top to bottom & front to back (at the point). I'll see about the same ones myself tomorrow! Just to make sure they are the same size!

Reactions: Russ
#24 ·
Well, life got in the way and I forgot to get the measurements yesterday. Will do as soon as it is light enough today!

#25 ·
I went out and measured the RH side. It is 34-7/8"+/- long at the point to the front. The front end is 18-3/4" tall, back is 20" tall.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.