Bmerf

Patina Farmer / Rust Collector

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 9846
  • 1,708 Thanks
  • 1,445 posts

Posted July 19, 2012 - 01:33 PM

I figured I would start a new thread on the Ford 195. My wife calls her big blue, but I have been referring to it as “Next”, as in what is next? The tractor had not run in approximately fifteen years, so the first order of business was to see if she would start. Gas down the carb, fresh battery, and jumper cables. Fired right up after messing with coil and wiring, but would not stay running. Cleaned gas tank, replaced gas line, cleaned fuel pump, success, will now stay running, sounds good, and no smoke. Did I mention that everything on the machine is froze in place? I mean it will not move.

To make a long story short here is a list of everything that has been done in the last two months:
Clean gas tank
Replace gas line
Clean fuel pump
Free up brake shoes, disconnect brake linkage
Replace blown hydraulic hose
Remove, disassemble, and clean steering control valve
New hydraulic oil and filter
New rear tires (ouch)
Remove clutch (took over a week)
Solder new wire and replace clutch

Next: Engine oil change
Fix bearings and mount deck.
Free up brake pedal/linkage

IMG_0890.JPG IMG_0889.JPG IMG_0891.JPG IMG_0892.JPG IMG_0893.JPG IMG_0888.JPG IMG_0899.JPG IMG_0900.JPG

My short-term goal is to get the machine into a workable state, sooner or later it will rain again and the lawn will need mowed.

Question: Is the grill from a 145,165 the same size as mine? I understand that the mounts may be different and require modification.
Measurements are approximately 18 ¾ wide by 19 inches tall.

IMG_0897.JPG IMG_0898.JPG

#2 Texas Deere and Horse OFFLINE  

Texas Deere and Horse

RED Wild Hogs, Horses & Deeres

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1435
  • 14,464 Thanks
  • 15,392 posts

Posted July 19, 2012 - 01:36 PM

I can check on the grill dimensions when I get home in a couple days. Maybe someone else can help you before that, but I will then.

Great GT you have there, want to find one someday.
  • Bmerf said thank you

#3 skyrydr2 ONLINE  

skyrydr2

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 5032
  • 3,412 Thanks
  • 3,163 posts

Posted July 19, 2012 - 01:48 PM

That rig is loaded! 3 point and rear pto, yeah buddy! I would love to get my hands on one like that!
  • Bmerf said thank you

#4 JDBrian OFFLINE  

JDBrian

Super Moderator

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2507
  • 9,574 Thanks
  • 14,136 posts

Posted July 19, 2012 - 03:20 PM

A lot of work but worth it in the end. Those 195's aren't as common, at least up here, as the smaller Ford GT's. A really nice setup with the options you have.
  • Bmerf said thank you

#5 KennyP ONLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2253
  • 28,459 Thanks
  • 39,690 posts

Posted July 19, 2012 - 04:40 PM

Just went out and mearured mine, it's the same size. But the parts manual gives it a different part #. May be because of the 'shelf' sticking out of it.
  • Bmerf said thank you

#6 Russ OFFLINE  

Russ

• Member No: 8191
  • 131 Thanks
  • 367 posts

Posted July 20, 2012 - 09:22 PM

Glad to see more of the 195 on here,, Do you have the side covers for your 195 ,,,

#7 Bmerf OFFLINE  

Bmerf

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 1,708 Thanks
  • 1,445 posts

Posted July 20, 2012 - 10:03 PM

Thanks, Kenny for the info on the grill, mine is in rough shape, fixable but easier to replace by modifying one off a different tractor.

Russ I am glad to hear from you, your tractor is the one that brought me to this site. I believe my tractor was built directly after yours. My serial number is 1706.

When asked by my wife about the side covers, I told her they were invisible. I am currently waiting for a set from a 165 to be delivered. They will probably need to be modified to fit, Is there any way to get a picture of the proper mounting points/method?
  • Russ said thank you

#8 bowtiebutler956 OFFLINE  

bowtiebutler956
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 10021
  • 659 Thanks
  • 796 posts

Posted July 20, 2012 - 11:12 PM

Very tough looking old Ford! The ones you have to fight that hard for every inch of ground you gain, are the ones that you appreciate the most when they're back working the way they're supposed to! :thumbs: Nice work. :laughingteeth:

Matt
  • Bmerf said thank you

#9 KennyP ONLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 28,459 Thanks
  • 39,690 posts

Posted July 21, 2012 - 04:21 AM

The mounts are different from a 165 to a 195. I haven't seen how a 195 side panel fits, so I can't help there. Maybe we can sweet talk Russ into getting us some pics of his.
  • Russ said thank you

#10 Delmar OFFLINE  

Delmar
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 5039
  • 2,323 Thanks
  • 2,416 posts

Posted July 21, 2012 - 05:19 AM

Wow. 3-point on the back AND rear pto. I like the dual light set up on it too. That is a workhorse of a tractor.
  • Bmerf said thank you

#11 Bmerf OFFLINE  

Bmerf

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 1,708 Thanks
  • 1,445 posts

Posted July 21, 2012 - 07:18 PM

Thanks for all the words of encouragement. Got the engine oil changed, manual says three quarts oil, glad I stopped at two. It’s full. Ordered bearings for the belt guide on top of deck. They should be in next week. Then I can mount deck and see how she mows. Removed most of the brake linkage today, freed up pedal assembly.

Next, clean and reinstall all brake linkage and test. Hood side panels should be here next week. Will see what it takes to mount them. I know I will be cutting a section out of the left panel to clear steering linkage.

#12 Russ OFFLINE  

Russ

• 131 Thanks
  • 367 posts

Posted July 21, 2012 - 10:35 PM

Hey, I will put the pic of the mount parts on here tomorro, No prob at all,, Its to dark to get the pic tonite,, I don't know how they are on the 165 but I sure thought they are the same between the 165 an the 195 but not sure at all,, An also Bmerf I don't see why you will have to cut the side pannels for the steering cause the pannel gose on with out em havein to be cut, But still I don't know how the 165 are,, An yea thats a good Idea about tellin ya wife abut the pannel's invisibale,,,lol

Edited by Russ, July 21, 2012 - 10:42 PM.

• Bmerf said thank you

#13 Russ OFFLINE  

Russ

• 131 Thanks
  • 367 posts

Posted July 21, 2012 - 11:09 PM

On the fram in front is a stud like that the side pannel goes on an the side pannel has a hole for it at the bottom,, The back end of the fram for the side pannel has a hole in it an the back end of the side pannel has a stud like that slides in the hole,, For the top of the pannels is pos to have a long spring going from side to side an hooks in a hole in the middle of the pannels,, Also you can see how the pannel goes between the fram an the steering,,, Hope this helps, I went outside to my shed an got lites on my 195 an took the pic tonight for ya cause I going Bass fishing in morning an not sure what time I will be back,,, hehehe,, :dancingbanana:

Attached Thumbnails

• Picture 030.jpg
  • Picture 031.jpg
  • Picture 032.jpg
  • Picture 033.jpg
  • Picture 034.jpg
  • Picture 037.jpg
  • Picture 036.jpg

• KennyP and Bmerf have said thanks

#14 Russ OFFLINE  

Russ

• 131 Thanks
  • 367 posts

Posted July 21, 2012 - 11:21 PM

Also Bmerf I don't have the long spring thats pos to hold the top of the pannels but I use a wrie for now an just tie it,, I going to be tearin my 195 apart after this summer an repaintin it all up an fixing whatever needs to be fix,, Right now I really enjoy useing my 195 for mowing the grass an lots of liftin diff stuff of all kinds with the forks on the back that I made up,,lol,, Taken motors off of boats when I need to with the motor puller I made for it,, An sure not havein any probs at all with my 195,, She sure does a great job for everything I could ask for,,,, Only pro I have is that they don't make a radio loud enough for a deaf man to here while ridein my 195,, hehehe,, Good luck with your 195 an sure hope you an ya wife keeps ya 195,, My wife keeps trying to take mine away from me,,lol
  • KennyP and Bmerf have said thanks

#15 KennyP ONLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 28,459 Thanks
  • 39,690 posts

Posted July 22, 2012 - 03:51 AM

I'll post some pics of the 165 side panels later today!
  • Russ and Bmerf have said thanks