#1 DanP OFFLINE  

DanP

Tractorholic

• Contributor
  • Member No: 6989
  • 276 Thanks
  • 467 posts

Posted July 18, 2012 - 08:10 PM

I have a 10HP Briggs 243341 in a Allis Chalmers B10. I had to replace the ing coil and it has different wires. I think I know how it is wired up but want to be sure. There is a flat spade on the side of the coil and it came with a wire that fits on it, It has a long wire and a short wire coming out of the plastic connector. I think the long wire goes to the condenser terminal on the points and the short wire goes to the insulated stud above the coil. Then another wire goes from that stud to the ign switch where it would short out and kill the motor. Is this correct?

#2 GTTinkerer OFFLINE  

GTTinkerer

GT Tinkerer

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1564
  • 1,153 Thanks
  • 1,326 posts

Posted July 18, 2012 - 08:27 PM

If it has two wires going to the spade terminal and none going to the coil on the armature then it is a magnatron armature so the points will not be used. So possibly one of the two wires will go to the clip on the plate where the governoror linkage is at or be cut off and the second will go to the ignition switch and will be grounded when the switch is off.

Do you have the type number of the engine, four digits then a dash and two more numbers or letters such as 0129-E1?

Bill

Edited by GTTinkerer, July 18, 2012 - 08:34 PM.

• DanP said thank you

#3 DanP OFFLINE  

DanP

Tractorholic

• Contributor
  • Member No: 6989
  • 276 Thanks
  • 467 posts

Posted July 19, 2012 - 08:47 PM

it is a type 0520-01 The coil I am trying to put on is a 398811. What was on it was a 298968. I think the 398811 is a Magnatron coil. I still need a wiring digram on how it was wired up. I should have took a picture of it but didn't.

#4 MH81 ONLINE  

MH81

Proud to be Deplorable

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 802
  • 27,338 Thanks
  • 28,646 posts

Posted July 19, 2012 - 09:07 PM

Section F of this manual http://gardentractor...service-manual/
has some wiring info, but IDT it's specific enough.
On My 112, the long wire goes from the Magnetron to the Points (also to the key switch). I don't have a coil, as I remember. The Mag has a short little wire that went under the mount screw on the Mag and provided ground. This was the wire that has corroded off from mouse wee and It had almost no spark, just barely see it if you were really looking and very close to ground with the end of the plug wire.
  • DanP said thank you

#5 GTTinkerer OFFLINE  

GTTinkerer

GT Tinkerer

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1564
  • 1,153 Thanks
  • 1,326 posts

Posted July 19, 2012 - 10:49 PM

I believe that if it is a magnatron the points are not used but I have been wrong before. The old armatures had a separate wire from the wound portion of the armature with no terminal on the end that went to the points. As Alan said there is a short wire with no plastic coating and with a terminal on the end that goes under one of the mounting screws.

Bill

#6 HALFSCALE OFFLINE  

HALFSCALE

Tractorholic

• Member No: 4343
  • 413 Thanks
  • 485 posts

Posted July 20, 2012 - 12:00 AM

The coil you got, 398811 is a magna tron coil, magna tron can be used on a big block after date code 81080100. If your allis has the original engine ,your a long way from that date code, only the last of the big blocks from the 80's use that code
I think the magna trons in the big blocks may use a offset key on the crank, someone also said it's a different flywheel , but i have never found another part number for one.