• Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 20
  • 35,646 Thanks
  • 29,840 posts

Posted July 22, 2012 - 08:46 AM

In digging through the parts, I forgot to mention I found the ID tag to this tractor. From the stains on the back side, I can tell the ID plate goes to this tractor, or at least to the dash. So I am writing Jerry, BH President, and asking if he could type up from company letterhead a letter stating the D4-10 model, and the serial number, and the fact it was sold to me. Much better if I had proof of the serial number to the tractor on Bush Hog letterhead paper. Jerry gave me his personal business card & told me if I ever needed anything, not to hesitate to email or give him a call. He very much seemed like an honest to goodness truly personable guy, so I think (hope!) he'll be glad to do it for me. I will email him a close-up pic of the ID plate so he'll know for sure it is correct.

#77 KennyP ONLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2253
  • 28,461 Thanks
  • 39,690 posts

Posted July 22, 2012 - 10:26 AM

That would be great documentation to have, Daniel! You are one lucky guy on all this!
  • olcowhand said thank you

#78 Texas Deere and Horse OFFLINE  

Texas Deere and Horse

RED Wild Hogs, Horses & Deeres

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1435
  • 14,464 Thanks
  • 15,392 posts

Posted July 22, 2012 - 11:28 AM

Daniel, I can't think of anyone who deserved this more then you my friend, and if you get another BoS with the ID number, that will be so incredible. Way to GO my Friend !! :thumbs:

#79 coldone OFFLINE  

coldone

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 839
  • 1,631 Thanks
  • 1,668 posts

Posted July 22, 2012 - 01:33 PM

I go one vacation for a week and miss one of the biggest scores in Bush hog history! congrats Daniel.

#80 olcowhand ONLINE  

olcowhand

Red Tractor Nut & Diesel Addict

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • 35,646 Thanks
  • 29,840 posts

Posted July 22, 2012 - 02:16 PM

Stole just a few minutes from helping Teresa with putting up corn. Pulled the head off the TR1-D to find the stuck open exhaust valve like I figured. Not stuck tight at all though. Some Gunk penetrating fluid & a light tape or 2 did the trick. The insides look perfect! NO ring groove at all, no scratches in the cylinder, and valves even looked good. I folded some light sandpaper, then went under each valve with the valves lightly pressing the paper snug & they felt smooth. No spark from the magneto though, so before I can try to fire her up, I'll either have to see if the mag is fixable, or just rig up an automotive type coil. I think this engine will be a runner without a rebuild...or maybe I'm just hoping! :smilewink:
BTW....what is it when the piston has "1/2" on it? I can't remember.

#81 Texas Deere and Horse OFFLINE  

Texas Deere and Horse

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 14,464 Thanks
  • 15,392 posts

Posted July 22, 2012 - 02:21 PM

If I remember right, that means it was re-bored at the Wis. factory at .005 over to clean up the bore in the initial build.

#82 olcowhand ONLINE  

olcowhand

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • 35,646 Thanks
  • 29,840 posts

Posted July 22, 2012 - 02:23 PM

Thanks Brian. Guess this means this engine is low hour for sure if that's the original bore. All looks great & has good compression when I pull the rope!

#83 Bolens 1000 ONLINE  

Bolens 1000

DR. Bolens

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 7
  • 12,692 Thanks
  • 17,206 posts

Posted July 22, 2012 - 07:11 PM

Stole just a few minutes from helping Teresa with putting up corn. Pulled the head off the TR1-D to find the stuck open exhaust valve like I figured. Not stuck tight at all though. Some Gunk penetrating fluid & a light tape or 2 did the trick. The insides look perfect! NO ring groove at all, no scratches in the cylinder, and valves even looked good. I folded some light sandpaper, then went under each valve with the valves lightly pressing the paper snug & they felt smooth. No spark from the magneto though, so before I can try to fire her up, I'll either have to see if the mag is fixable, or just rig up an automotive type coil. I think this engine will be a runner without a rebuild...or maybe I'm just hoping! :smilewink:
BTW....what is it when the piston has "1/2" on it? I can't remember.

The 1/2 stamped into the piston means the engine was bored over 0.005 at the factory.
Instead of just throwing away the blocks that had imperfections , they would just bore them 1/2 and fit them with a special size ring and piston.

#84 olcowhand ONLINE  

olcowhand

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • 35,646 Thanks
  • 29,840 posts

Posted July 22, 2012 - 08:05 PM

WooHoo, then being bored out will bring the HP of this TR10D from 8.25 to possibly way up there, like maybe 8.26HP!!!!!! :smilewink:
  • Texas Deere and Horse said thank you

#85 olcowhand ONLINE  

olcowhand

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • 35,646 Thanks
  • 29,840 posts

Posted July 22, 2012 - 09:19 PM

Really though, the TR10D has all the power I need. It's not like it's going to be a main workhorse. Just had hoped for a TRA.

#86 olcowhand ONLINE  

olcowhand

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • 35,646 Thanks
  • 29,840 posts

Posted July 24, 2012 - 03:05 PM

Here's the stack of parts tucked away in our old milk parlor room. I hate to have to put them away, but reality is I have no time to do anything with it for a while. Even when I have some time, it's too danged hot & I'm too tired at the end of the day to want to. (engine & clutch assembly is in my shop)

DSC00017.JPG

#87 KennyP ONLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2253
  • 28,461 Thanks
  • 39,690 posts

Posted July 24, 2012 - 03:19 PM

At least you have a spot to keep them all together until you are ready for them.

#88 Texas Deere and Horse OFFLINE  

Texas Deere and Horse

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 14,464 Thanks
  • 15,392 posts

Posted July 24, 2012 - 05:08 PM

Glad you have them put up safe and sound Daniel, You will find time sooner then you think, I'm sure.

#89 olcowhand ONLINE  

olcowhand

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • 35,646 Thanks
  • 29,840 posts

Posted July 29, 2012 - 02:36 PM

Well, I did snag a little time today. I finished repairing my old Devilbiss genset's carb, then the Wisconsin engine off this D4-10 caught my eye. I had unstuck the exhaust valve a few days ago, so I decided it was time to see if she would fire. I removed the flywheel to find the spark plug wire wasn't screwed into the mag coil. Then the old crimp connectors tying the points lead wire to the mag was not getting connection. So I just stripped the 2 wires & twisted them together. Put the flywheel back on, then gave it a pull with a rope. She fired on the first pull! The carb is ALL crudded up, so I just ran it off bursts of carb spray. It would run all day, or until I ran out of the carb spray! NO wrong sounds, and not even a hint of smoke, even at the first start! And YES, it does have oil in it! LOL They had drained the oil, so I topped with fresh. This engine needs no more mechanical work besides the carb, then cosmetics. :dancingbanana:

#90 sacsr ONLINE  

sacsr

Bush Hog Addict

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 4776
  • 3,268 Thanks
  • 3,283 posts

Posted July 29, 2012 - 03:05 PM

Yeah Daniel!! Makes the deal ever better!!!