caseguy

Connoisseur of Rusty Junk

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 906
  • 1,624 Thanks
  • 5,600 posts

Posted July 18, 2012 - 06:18 PM

First of all, :wave: 4running! Welcome to GTTalk! IMHO, you can't really go wrong with any of them. I'm a Wheel Horse guy myself, so that's my bias...and it's the least expensive of the three listed. There are many, many parts and attachments out there that will work with it and the 520H is the top dog of the modern Wheel Horse line-up. The Ariens sounds like a beast of a machine and the front and rear PTOs are definitely a consideration. The Ingersol will also serve you well. It's a tough choice for sure, and it's likely going to be a personal one based on your preferences. Thanks for signing up and Best of luck with your choice! I might also add that in my personal experience, a bagger is a huge pain in the rear! It actually deprives your lawn of nutrients and there has to be a huge pile of clipping somewhere. I wouldn't let the lack of one bias your opinion too much!

#17 Kurtee OFFLINE  

Kurtee

• Member No: 7561
  • 463 Thanks
  • 415 posts

Posted July 18, 2012 - 07:34 PM

OK I missed something here. Snow blowers? Minnesota Winters? Member location says Texas. The machine with parts and service support gets my vote. Still trying to figure this out. Kurtee

#18 4running OFFLINE  

4running
  • Member No: 10567
  • 1 Thanks
  • 4 posts

Posted July 18, 2012 - 08:55 PM

Thanks for all the great reply's. I have started to lean towards the Ariens due to the 2 stage blower, and I am also starting to agree that I might not want to bag. Although can you just buy mulching blades and make a custom plate for the discharge side of the deck if Ariens doens't offer one?

#19 4running OFFLINE  

4running
  • Member No: 10567
  • 1 Thanks
  • 4 posts

Posted July 25, 2012 - 01:00 AM

OK I missed something here. Snow blowers? Minnesota Winters? Member location says Texas. The machine with parts and service support gets my vote. Still trying to figure this out. Kurtee

Yes! I have moved to the great white north!

I still have not made a choice, BUT I have found a good deal on a Deere 425 with 4WS. Truthfully I didnt want a deere but I like this one, I think I need to get off my arse and decide on a tractor and pick it up, But all these choices make it so hard!
  • middleageddeere said thank you

#20 MH81 ONLINE  

MH81

Proud to be Deplorable

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 802
  • 27,322 Thanks
  • 28,640 posts

Posted July 25, 2012 - 06:21 AM

but I like this one

And in the end, that's the most important factor.

I missed your thread earlier, so a belated :welcometogttalk: is in order.

#21 Cat385B ONLINE  

Cat385B

Therapy CAT

• Contributor
  • Member No: 8002
  • 11,755 Thanks
  • 8,923 posts

Posted July 25, 2012 - 08:18 PM

Where in God's Green Pasture did you find a Ingy in MN at that price? That's a great package deal, imo.

The Ariens and Ingersoll blowers will be a near toss-up, except in wet, heavy snow. The Ariens will win out due to the two stage with wet stuff, and it out-weighs the Ingersoll by quite a bit.

In my experience, the Ingersoll will leave the nicest looking yard of the three, just mowing. As stated earlier, the hydraulic bagger on the Ingersoll will shame the other two. (imo)

Another consideration, with one acre, is the Ingersoll is the most nimble of the three. If you have lots of trees or obstacles in the yard, it will save time vs. the Ariens, which has a considerably larger turning radius.

PS - if you pass on the Ingersoll package, I would be interested in taking it off the seller's hands......

Edited by Cat385B, July 25, 2012 - 08:19 PM.

#22 middleageddeere OFFLINE  

middleageddeere

Tacos!

• Member No: 2033
  • 243 Thanks
  • 1,082 posts

Posted July 27, 2012 - 03:57 AM

Yeah, not sure if this is already decided but the Ingersol seems the best deal, those are really stout tractors. The JD 425 is great but I prefer the 400, 420, and 430's.

#23 JDBrian OFFLINE  

JDBrian

Super Moderator

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2507
  • 9,574 Thanks
  • 14,136 posts

Posted July 27, 2012 - 05:07 AM

Try out that 425 before making a decision. It's a beast of a GT and the power 4ws is something you have to try to appreciate. Liquid cooled engine as well. The blower can be expensive if you need to buy it separately.

#24 Cat385B ONLINE  

Cat385B

Therapy CAT

• Contributor
  • Member No: 8002
  • 11,755 Thanks
  • 8,923 posts

Posted July 27, 2012 - 06:26 PM

The blower can be expensive if you need to buy it separately.

Expect to pay $1,500 up to $2,250 for a used 47 blower and a quick hitch in MN.