Garden Tractors and Parts on eBay

Welcome to Garden Tractor Talk Forums

GTtalk is the place to go if you are a garden tractor collector or someone looking for information on your favorite tractor. We have interactive forums, registry, tractor / implement manuals, photo galleries, articles, show coverage, tech tips and how tos, classifieds and much more.

You are currently viewing our site as a guest which provides limited access. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate with other members, vote on polls, upload images and attachments as well as many other special features. Registration is quick and easy and best of all completely free!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Photo
- - - - -

John Deere 165 Hydro Frozen Wheel

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 bassman OFFLINE  

bassman
  • Member No: 10557
  • 0 Thanks
  • 2 posts

Posted July 17, 2012 - 02:53 PM

I've got a JD 165 Hydro and I'm trying to get the right rear wheel off of the axle. She seems to be stuck (i.e. rusted) pretty good. I've been pouring the PB Blaster to it every few days, but that hasn't freed anything up yet. Anyone have any suggestions as to what I can do with out damaging the rearend, to get that stubborn rim off? Thanks in advance.

#2 Texas Deere and Horse OFFLINE  

Texas Deere and Horse

RED Wild Hogs, Horses & Deeres

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1435
  • 7,331 Thanks
  • 11,572 posts

Posted July 17, 2012 - 02:56 PM

First off, Welcome to GTtalk, glad you found us.

Does the 165 rim mount on a hub or straight on the axle shaft?

#3 JDBrian OFFLINE  

JDBrian

Super Moderator

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2507
  • 5,730 Thanks
  • 11,034 posts

Posted July 17, 2012 - 07:12 PM

I believe the 165 has a keyed shaft that fits directly into the rim. If the tractor is still moving I'd run it around the yard stopping and starting a few times. The torque applied to the axle while driving might help the penetrating oil do it's job. Take your time and don't rush it. I'd keep soaking it every day for a week if you have the time. Heat is another good thing but you don't want to ruin the seals or the tire. Try a heat gun to carefully heat the rim. A large puller might encourage it to come off as well.

#4 bassman OFFLINE  

bassman
  • Member No: 10557
  • 0 Thanks
  • 2 posts

Posted July 17, 2012 - 07:58 PM

Well, you're right that the rim is keyed to the axle shaft. Its a woodruff key. This has been an ongoing issue over a few months. I drive it and keep squirting the penetrating oil whenever possible. If this thing were to free up by the fall, I would be happy. I need to get the rim off so I can work on the brake issue which is not functioning correctly.
Bill

#5 Texas Deere and Horse OFFLINE  

Texas Deere and Horse

RED Wild Hogs, Horses & Deeres

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1435
  • 7,331 Thanks
  • 11,572 posts

Posted July 17, 2012 - 08:41 PM

You can also try putting some heat on the hub, just be careful not to heat the rim up enough to pop the tire, they will explode from too much pressure from the heat. Might remove valve core before applying heat.
  • Trav1s said thank you

#6 Trav1s ONLINE  

Trav1s

Got points?

• Member No: 5472
  • 1,091 Thanks
  • 1,990 posts

Posted July 23, 2012 - 11:28 AM

You can also try putting some heat on the hub, just be careful not to heat the rim up enough to pop the tire, they will explode from too much pressure from the heat. Might remove valve core before applying heat.

My thoughts exactly!

#7 JDBrian OFFLINE  

JDBrian

Super Moderator

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2507
  • 5,730 Thanks
  • 11,034 posts

Posted July 23, 2012 - 11:32 AM

Woodruff keys are not my favourite things. I find they often seem to be hard to remove. Some heat would be my next step as well. Good luck with it.