Garden Tractor Forums banner

Jd 317

6K views 19 replies 5 participants last post by  middleageddeere 
#1 ·
I found a 317 that looks like a good price going to look at it. If anyone can give me input on what to look for on this tractor the good or bad. That will help me make my choice.

#2 · (Edited by Moderator)
The 317 is a good tractor. The early models used a Kohler Kt17 Series 1 engine that didn't have a fully pressurized lube system. They would starve for oil if they were used on a side hill. Kohler redid their design and made them with a fully pressurized lube system, but the damage was done for Kohler and the JD317. Lots of them were re-powered by the JD dealers with a "B" or "P" series Onan Twin. I own 3 of them currently, 2 with the Series 2 Kt17 and 1 with the Series 1 engine. I use all of them on a regular basis with no problems.

Here is a thread that I put on here to show the differences between the 2 engines.

http://gardentractor...d-ii-engines/

Good Luck and I hope you get it.

#3 ·
As usual with any older tractor there are some wear items that can get expensive. Check the motor mounts to make sure they aren't broken or cracked. The hydro and steering linkages are prone to wear, so look for jerky hydro operation, creep in neutral and slack in the steering. The front axle pivots tend to wear and the front wheel bearings. The driveshaft couplers/ujoints and the input shaft of the hydro can get worn from many hours use and also from the motor mounts being bad. Some of this stuff is expensive to repair and if all this stuff is worn it's a sign of a tractor with a lot of hours on it.
Electrically the PTO switch and the clutch coil can be trouble areas.
This may sound like a long list but I had to deal with pretty much all that stuff on my 314. If you can take the time to check over these areas then there shouldn't be too many surprises. They are a strong tractor and make a good worker when put in good shape. Good luck

#5 ·
Looks like it could use a good cleaning for a start. AG tires and wheel weights are a nice bonus. Keep us posted!

#7 · (Edited by Moderator)
Didn't find out which motor yet. But put new gas line from filter to pump & jump start. And the old Jd came to life. The bad thing I didn't know where engine tag was & I degreased motor when I was done all I have is blank tag. So in morning I will be getting any other numbers & looking to see what I can find. It does still need cleaned more electrical work & rear wheel needs valve stem. Then I got to find a seat. This makes 6!Jds 2-110 a 140, 312, 317, lt133. I think it might be time to sell a couple the 110's are going to go love but hydro's got me now.

#10 ·
If you can clean the area up in the first picture, I could see it better, but it looks like it is a Series
"1" engine.

On the oil dip stick blowing out, you need to clean the crank case breather, maybe filled with dirt and not letting the crank case vent.

Reactions: fishman
#19 ·
Still need side covers hood fixed headlights, but for now it mows great. Still got to figure out if it sits for a while I have no spark. But when you get it running as long as it is still warm it will start right back up. Never came across this before.

#20 ·
I love my 317. I have the original series 1 in mine. Just started to smoke a little this year. The other big thing to watch for on these is the drive shaft. I found a site that has them for $200 but from the sounds of it they are pretty tough to change. It is about time for one for me and I am waiting until I need a new engine and a paint job.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.