• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 7087
  • 3,239 Thanks
  • 5,159 posts

Posted July 17, 2012 - 10:57 AM

I want to make a set of hitch block adapters for the '71 so I can use front attachments from the '75 on it. I have most of the material on hand already. Except for material to make the mount for the front blocks. I was looking at my steel and found that the only flat steal I have are old mower blades. And go figure, PK blades would work perfect! So, if I got them cherry red do you think they would bend? I don't really think so but I thought I would check with some people who may have tried before. They seem kinda brittle to me.

I attached some pics and a PDF file so you can get a better understanding of them if you are not familiar with Power Kings. The actual pics belong to ariensman2. You can see on the front blocks they used C channel, I don't have any channel that size, that is why I want to bend the blades.

Attached Thumbnails

• 100_1499.jpg
  • 100_1500.jpg

Attached Files

#2 LilysDad OFFLINE  

LilysDad

Cat Lover

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 10443
  • 9,619 Thanks
  • 7,662 posts

Posted July 17, 2012 - 11:39 AM

If you get them cherry red, the brittle will go out of them. Give it a try and don't force it. If they are hot enough, they will bend easy.

#3 GTTinkerer OFFLINE  

GTTinkerer

GT Tinkerer

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1564
  • 1,153 Thanks
  • 1,326 posts

Posted July 17, 2012 - 12:25 PM

Big problem with mower blades is that they are almost impossible to drill a hole through the without specialized bits. But as LilysDad said they will bend easily with heat. Put one in a vise hot and you can even get a 90* angle with a hammer.

Good luck,
Bill

#4 Texas Deere and Horse OFFLINE  

Texas Deere and Horse

RED Wild Hogs, Horses & Deeres

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1435
  • 14,464 Thanks
  • 15,392 posts

Posted July 17, 2012 - 12:58 PM

you need to get them as hot as possible, almost white. The hotter they are, the easier they will bend, and don't quench them in water when your done, they will become even more brittle.

#5 Tennblue59 OFFLINE  

Tennblue59

Tractorholic

• Member No: 6000
  • 450 Thanks
  • 522 posts

Posted July 17, 2012 - 11:08 PM

If you heat them and let them air cool, it takes the temper out of them and you can drill them ok afterwards. Used to do the same thing with bed rails.

Or you can do like a friend of mine used to do and "drill" holes in them with a gun!!! Just a little harder to be precise with hole placement......

#6 HowardsMF155 OFFLINE  

HowardsMF155

Tractorholic

• Member No: 4243
  • 2,699 Thanks
  • 2,916 posts

Posted July 17, 2012 - 11:19 PM

Or you can do like a friend of mine used to do and "drill" holes in them with a gun!!! Just a little harder to be precise with hole placement......

Works well with .44 holes or perhaps .45. But dang it, sometimes you just need a .75 hole, and what pawn shop has THAT ammo in stock??

#7 Ryan313 OFFLINE  

Ryan313

PK Fanatic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 7087
  • 3,239 Thanks
  • 5,159 posts

Posted July 17, 2012 - 11:28 PM

Thanks for all the advice! If it weren't for you guys I would have made several mistakes. As you can see in the pics, they used C channel for the front blocks, unforunetly I don't have any.

Howard, I know somebody who can get you some stuff. PM me if you are interested...