Nominations for Tractor of the Month
Garden Tractors and Parts on eBay

Photo
- - - - -

Kohler K341 Conversion - Starter/generator To Stator Model?

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 Tennblue59 OFFLINE  

Tennblue59

Tractorholic

• Member No: 6000
  • 450 Thanks
  • 522 posts

Posted July 16, 2012 - 08:46 PM

I need to replace a shot 16hp kohler single k341 in my Ford LGT165. I have another k341 engine with an external starter/generator that runs good. I don't have the second engine in front of me to check and see if it would work, so I wanted to see if any of you had gone through this before...

Wondering if it is feasable to convert the starter/generator model to an internal stator model?

Guessing I would have to use the stator, flywheel, and starter of the original engine? Would all of the blocks have the bosses to mount the stator - even the external starter/gen models? External diameter of the crankshaft is the same - wondering if the flywheel mount would be similar? I guess I might have to switch the tinwork as well to fit the original motor's starter as well.

As a second option, what would I have to do to use the starter/generator engine in the Ford "as is" if it would physically fit under the hood? I know the regulator is different for the starter/generator model. IS it an easy switch over? Anything else I would have to change?

Thanks in advance for any info any of you might have on this!

#2 KennyP ONLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2253
  • 28,503 Thanks
  • 39,730 posts

Posted July 17, 2012 - 04:08 AM

Haven't had the opportunity to do anything like this, so I'll sit back and read the replies. My biggest question right now would be if you have bolt holes to mount the stator and starter already there?

#3 Kyocum OFFLINE  

Kyocum

• Member No: 6171
  • 280 Thanks
  • 403 posts

Posted July 17, 2012 - 07:34 AM

Just thinking you will probably have to change the flywheel backer plate as well. Not really sure on 16's but the 12hp kohlers have different size flywheel shrouds, the stator optioned kohler has a much larger flywheel than the S/G models because the ring gear is attached . When doing this changeover the crank end play will have to be re-adjusted with the gasket shims in a gasket set. I am getting ready to do the same thing with a 12hp in a couple weeks.

#4 Tennblue59 OFFLINE  

Tennblue59

Tractorholic

• 450 Thanks
  • 522 posts

Posted July 17, 2012 - 09:41 AM

Thanks for the info Guys. I am about 600 miles away from the running engine (it is in storage at our other place), so I can't go pull the cover and look to see if it has the bosses or measure/compare dimensions.

I had planned to rebuilt the original engine, but our local machine shop that I have used for years closed their doors for the last time a couple weeks ago - all the equipment sold and gone. Thats another topic though.....

Was just thinking that I have this perfectly good engine sitting there if I could make it work.......

#5 dogsoldier OFFLINE  

dogsoldier
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 9589
  • 316 Thanks
  • 490 posts

Posted July 17, 2012 - 10:13 AM

why not just drop the good engine in, may be easier. thats what i would do anyway. should work fairly easy.

#6 Tennblue59 OFFLINE  

Tennblue59

Tractorholic

• 450 Thanks
  • 522 posts

Posted July 17, 2012 - 10:35 PM

Dogsoldier - I may be going down that road... Again, I don't have the engine in front of me, so not sure if there is enough room under the Ford's hood to mount the generator version or if it would get in the way somewhere. If it would fit, I don't have a problem with it being "non-oem."

Second issue if I did that would be the wiring issue. I had heard somewhere that the external generator models use a different voltage regulator, and that the "starter relay" is built into it somehow. I do know that for say the bigger ag tractors that had starter generators the regulator is different (and usually more expensive..). Does anyone have a wiring diagram for a starter generator engine they could post? Never worked on one before or studied them - guess that will be changing :bounce:

Would also need to see if the flywheel on the starter/gen model has the mounting boss for the pto shaft so I could hook up the Ford's drive shaft.

#7 Utah Smitty OFFLINE  

Utah Smitty

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 5557
  • 1,643 Thanks
  • 1,746 posts

Posted July 21, 2012 - 11:59 PM

The starter/generator's on the Cub Cadets used a special regulator--it does the switching over from starter to generator. Also, the SGs on Cub Cadets run backwards of many other engines because the pulley for it is actually on the PTO side of the crankshaft. I'd check out the manual section here first, as I think the owner's manual has the wiring diagram... not sure though.

If that doesn't work, there is a website for Cub Cadets only that has a lot of good information, including the wiring diagram for the SG and regulator. Here's the link:
http://www.onlycubca...orum/usercp.php

Hope this helps,

Steve

#8 olcowhand ONLINE  

olcowhand

Red Tractor Nut & Diesel Addict

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 20
  • 35,653 Thanks
  • 29,840 posts

Posted July 22, 2012 - 09:08 AM

Easy to do the switch. Use the original backer plate w/stator, it's flywheel, and associated shrouding. Done it myself...no biggie.