Nominations for Tractor of the Month
Garden Tractors and Parts on eBay

Photo
- - - - -

Okay Who really built the 85/1200/1450/1650/1655/1855 series massey/snapper tractors?

• Please log in to reply
16 replies to this topic

#1 Luke ONLINE  

Luke

Tractorholic

• Member No: 204
  • 134 Thanks
  • 352 posts

Posted July 12, 2010 - 09:57 PM

Alright guys! Need alittle clarification on something I've been wondering about for awhile! Have heard different stories but who is right??? Okay, the question......Who designed and built the Massey/Snapper series of tractors??? I've contacted quite a few snapper dealers searching for parts and only a hand full have ever heard of these tractors......seems the snapper badged ones are rare.......more so then the massey badged ones.....true??? Production numbers......anybody have any on this awesome series of tractor??? Thanks Luke
  • alley oop said thank you

#2 olcowhand ONLINE  

olcowhand

Red Tractor Nut & Diesel Addict

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 20
  • 35,602 Thanks
  • 29,831 posts

Posted July 12, 2010 - 10:07 PM

I've never seen production/year lists. They were built by Snapper in McDonough, Georgia. As to who designed, I'm not sure, but Snapper built them. I'd tend to say most were badged as Massey.
  • gtcsreg and alley oop have said thanks

#3 Luke ONLINE  

Luke

Tractorholic

• Member No: 204
  • 134 Thanks
  • 352 posts

Posted July 12, 2010 - 10:26 PM

Cool, thanks olcowhand! I'd agree with you on that......think most were masseys too! If I had to guess I'd say massey designed them and hired/contracted for snapper to build x amount of them and then after that the run off were then badged a snappers???? Would be nice to know the real story! Thanks

#4 tinner OFFLINE  

tinner

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 961
  • 502 Thanks
  • 1,561 posts

Posted August 07, 2010 - 03:36 PM

So, would that mean that a Snapper 1650 is more desirable than a Massey 1650 for someone who is a collector? My 1600 and 1650 are both Sappers but I plan to re-badge as Massey when I paint them.
  • gtcsreg said thank you

#5 olcowhand ONLINE  

olcowhand

Red Tractor Nut & Diesel Addict

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 20
  • 35,602 Thanks
  • 29,831 posts

Posted August 07, 2010 - 07:13 PM

So, would that mean that a Snapper 1650 is more desirable than a Massey 1650 for someone who is a collector? My 1600 and 1650 are both Sappers but I plan to re-badge as Massey when I paint them.

I don't think being a Snapper would make them any more sought after. Most would rather have them a Massey, as there is more of a following with them. One Massey 1650 I had was really a Snapper, but I painted & badged as a Massey. The paint scheme of a Massey, at least to me, is much more catchy to the eye than the Snapper paint scheme....and the decals look better too, IMO.
  • gtcsreg said thank you

#6 NUTNDUN OFFLINE  

NUTNDUN

Lost in Cyber Space

• Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 3
  • 10,266 Thanks
  • 15,618 posts

Posted August 07, 2010 - 09:09 PM

I gotta agree that I like the Massey color scheme better as well as the decals. I really like olcowhands paint scheme he did on the one where he painted the frame the flint metallic gray.

#7 tinner OFFLINE  

tinner

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 961
  • 502 Thanks
  • 1,561 posts

Posted August 07, 2010 - 09:42 PM

I agree too, I like the paint a lot better on the Massey tractors that's why I plan to badge them that way. I was just spoofing about the Snappers being more desirable for collectors.

#8 ducky OFFLINE  

ducky

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 564
  • 1,623 Thanks
  • 3,860 posts

Posted August 07, 2010 - 09:56 PM

I've never seen production/year lists. They were built by Snapper in McDonough, Georgia. As to who designed, I'm not sure, but Snapper built them. I'd tend to say most were badged as Massey.

I have been looking for serial/year info as well.
I have 2 that I can pin down real close to when they were purchased.
If anyone else can give me some of their info I would like to spreadsheet that info and see what we can put together for year to serial #.

#9 alley oop OFFLINE  

alley oop
  • Member No: 50379
  • 67 Thanks
  • 63 posts

Posted November 28, 2013 - 10:00 AM

I have been looking for serial/year info as well.
I have 2 that I can pin down real close to when they were purchased.
If anyone else can give me some of their info I would like to spreadsheet that info and see what we can put together for year to serial #.

Any progress on the spreadsheet? I just pufchased a snapper 1650. The seller included a set of MF 1650 manuals that included the dated delivery documentation for a different tractor.

#10 gtcsreg OFFLINE  

gtcsreg
  • Member No: 25875
  • 1,665 Thanks
  • 1,646 posts

Posted November 29, 2013 - 03:03 PM

Repainted my Snapper 1650 Massey. I agree that it looks better that way. You guys that have the Snapper, I was wondering if all Snappers have a bunch of bolts that are MF bolts?

#11 coldone OFFLINE  

coldone

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 839
  • 1,631 Thanks
  • 1,668 posts

Posted November 29, 2013 - 11:35 PM

Yep, Just about every flanged bolt has an MF on it.

• gtcsreg said thank you

#12 mac102004 ONLINE  

mac102004

Tractorholic

• Contributor
  • Member No: 1420
  • 225 Thanks
  • 337 posts

Posted November 30, 2013 - 01:11 AM

I thought the Snapper tractors only came into the world after Massey stopped selling the series in the...early 1980's? Maybe the Snapper ones were just made for a couple years after and that was it? Would love to know more on the subject for sure.

#13 ENafziger OFFLINE  

ENafziger
  • Member No: 45112
  • 254 Thanks
  • 254 posts

Posted December 06, 2013 - 11:34 AM

I thought the Snapper tractors only came into the world after Massey stopped selling the series in the...early 1980's? Maybe the Snapper ones were just made for a couple years after and that was it? Would love to know more on the subject for sure.

Same here...I thought the Masseys were the mid-late 70's versions, and the Snappers were early-mid 80's.  Around here, it seems that the Snapper versions are more plentiful.

--Eric

#14 gtcsreg OFFLINE  

gtcsreg
  • Member No: 25875
  • 1,665 Thanks
  • 1,646 posts

Posted December 06, 2013 - 01:00 PM

Same here...I thought the Masseys were the mid-late 70's versions, and the Snappers were early-mid 80's.  Around here, it seems that the Snapper versions are more plentiful.

--Eric

From what someone on here said the Massey's were made FOR Massey by Snapper before Massey gave up on them about 1979. Then Snapper kept on making them till around 1984 I believe. Snapper's seem easier to find around here. Masseys look 'prettier" IMHO.

#15 ENafziger OFFLINE  

ENafziger
  • Member No: 45112
  • 254 Thanks
  • 254 posts

Posted December 06, 2013 - 02:45 PM

From what someone on here said the Massey's were made FOR Massey by Snapper before Massey gave up on them about 1979. Then Snapper kept on making them till around 1984 I believe. Snapper's seem easier to find around here. Masseys look 'prettier" IMHO.

Hmmm...I didn't know that.  I always thought Massey was the original maker (as evidenced by all the MF's on bolt heads), and that Snapper bought the rights to market and re-brand them in the later years.  I'll have to look at my labels tonight more closely...IIRC, all of them say made in McDonough GA, which would lend credence toward what you said, namely that Snapper did make them all. 

I do agree that the Massey's definitely look better!!!  In fact, all my Snappers will get a Massey makeover when they get re-done.