19 replies to this topic

#1 jstiteler OFFLINE  

jstiteler
  • Member No: 10535
  • 9 Thanks
  • 44 posts

Posted July 16, 2012 - 07:22 AM

Good morning,

I am a newbie here and have a few questions. First of all this site is fantastic I have been doing some reading on here and it is great to have a place with this amount of information and documentation of different projects and issues that others have been through and taking the time to help others.

I had the opportunity to buy a MF 12, but I dropped the ball and it sold. I saw a posting yesterday for a MF 7 hydrostatic and spoke to the guy last night. It turned out to be the father of an old childhood friend. He said that he had bought the tractor a few months ago and it appeared that the previous owner had put a 12 HP motor on it, but had gotten into trouble and not completed it. He said that he had not started it, due to the connection plug being different. I am assuming he meant the plug from the ignition to the battery/starter? Has anyone else done this before? Based off of my reading it may not be a bad thing based off of the issues with the 7 HP motors. Are there any other issues I should be aware of in doing this? I am just wondering if I am getting myself into more than I bargained for.

Thank you in advance,

Jason

Edited by KennyP, July 16, 2012 - 06:52 PM.

• middleageddeere said thank you

#2 KennyP OFFLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2253
  • 28,433 Thanks
  • 39,673 posts

Posted July 16, 2012 - 07:31 AM

Welcome to the forum, Jason! Glad to have you aboard! Some of the Massey guys will be along shortly.
I am not very computer literate, but whats up with all the <p> in your post?

#3 MH81 ONLINE  

MH81

Proud to be Deplorable

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 802
  • 27,276 Thanks
  • 28,615 posts

Posted July 16, 2012 - 07:39 AM

The MF7, while a capable machine is not generally considered a Garden Tractor. It was not designed for pulling implements.

All that said, they are a great little machine. Well built and fun to run. Make sure it has a mower deck, or all you have is a Garden Cart Puller.

As for the 12 on it, several things to overcome (mounting holes, pulley shaft sizes different, alignment issues, and the fact that the hood won't go back on. Not trying to talk you out of it, just giving you things to look for.

:welcome: to GTTalk!

Oh, and the "p" aren't necessary, the site does it's own coding, you don't need to use HTML, it's all taken care of for you, just type like it's a word processor.
  • middleageddeere and jstiteler have said thanks

#4 Wheel Horse Kid OFFLINE  

Wheel Horse Kid

Certified Wheel Horse Nut

• GTt Junior
  • Member No: 10019
  • 213 Thanks
  • 817 posts

Posted July 16, 2012 - 08:31 AM

I am not a Massey guy either, but I would like to say :welcometogttalk: !!!!

#5 IamSherwood OFFLINE  

IamSherwood

Elf guardian

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2066
  • 8,379 Thanks
  • 7,696 posts

Posted July 16, 2012 - 08:46 AM

Hi, and welcome to GTT.

As MH81 said, consider those possible issues. The biggest one being the hood fitting back on.
If you don't mind spending some money on it, I believe there is a clone out there that fits.
I think there is a thread here, where someone did that kind of transplant, without a whole
lot of alterations. Search around the MF forum for that thread if that sounds like the way
to go. I'll see if I can find it later.

#6 jstiteler OFFLINE  

jstiteler
  • 9 Thanks
  • 44 posts

Posted July 16, 2012 - 10:33 AM

Thank you for the warm welcome! Sorry about all of the p's. I typed everything out in word this morning and then pasted it in, my poor internet connection wouldn't allow me to edit it after the post.

Well based on what everyone is saying, I am guessing this wouldn't be.the best buy. I really don't want put one of the knock off motors on. From what I have read I would be under powering an already under powered tractor.

I should have.hopped on that 12 when I had the chance...

Thank you for the info, I'll let you guys know what I decide.

Jason

#7 Texas Deere and Horse OFFLINE  

Texas Deere and Horse

RED Wild Hogs, Horses & Deeres

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1435
  • 14,464 Thanks
  • 15,392 posts

Posted July 16, 2012 - 10:50 AM

Jason, Welcome to GTtalk, glad you joined us. You have found a nice little MF there and it will make a good yard tractor, but as others have said, you might want to find a bigger garden tractor for the heavy work.

#8 HowardsMF155 OFFLINE  

HowardsMF155

Tractorholic

• Member No: 4243
  • 2,699 Thanks
  • 2,916 posts

Posted July 16, 2012 - 11:52 AM

Here is the link to a repower I did. It used a 10 hp engine, runs the deck great!
http://gardentractor...ower#entry98573

I've been very happy with this. Minimal changes, minimal alterations, and a brand new motor.
  • MH81, middleageddeere, IamSherwood and 2 others have said thanks

#9 IamSherwood OFFLINE  

IamSherwood

Elf guardian

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 8,379 Thanks
  • 7,696 posts

Posted July 16, 2012 - 12:11 PM

Must be the heat. Howard, I totally forgot, that it was you that did the repower.

Did you take a video of it racing around?

#10 JDBrian OFFLINE  

JDBrian

Super Moderator

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2507
  • 9,574 Thanks
  • 14,136 posts

Posted July 16, 2012 - 12:11 PM

Welcome Jason. I have an MF8 that I am restoring(very slowly) and they are a nice little machine. I hope you find a good 12. They are quite common in most areas so just keep looking and one is bound to come your way.

#11 HowardsMF155 OFFLINE  

HowardsMF155

Tractorholic

• 2,699 Thanks
  • 2,916 posts

Posted July 16, 2012 - 12:29 PM

Must be the heat. Howard, I totally forgot, that it was you that did the repower.

Did you take a video of it racing around?

Hi Will
That tractor doesn't race! Since I use it on a 3/4 acre lot, I swapped the Hi/Low pulley around. Now, 1st gear is nice and slow, perfect for getting close to fences and such without worrying about a twitch destroying something. Second is ok for the boys to mow, and third is for me to mow faster :bigrofl:

From the manual, low speed setup in Mph:
1st--1.25
2nd-2.25
3rd-3.5

Edited by HowardsMF155, July 16, 2012 - 12:40 PM.

• IamSherwood said thank you

#12 jstiteler OFFLINE  

jstiteler
  • 9 Thanks
  • 44 posts

Posted July 16, 2012 - 01:42 PM

Looks good Howard! I think I am convinced that I need something a little bigger. I will have to keep looking. I will probably go out and take a look at the 7 sometime this week and make my final decission. Thank you all for the great information.

Jason

#13 IamSherwood OFFLINE  

IamSherwood

Elf guardian

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 8,379 Thanks
  • 7,696 posts

Posted July 16, 2012 - 06:47 PM

I just reread your opening post. Those 7 hyrostatics are a bit harder to find than the gear version.

#14 HowardsMF155 OFFLINE  

HowardsMF155

Tractorholic

• 2,699 Thanks
  • 2,916 posts

Posted July 16, 2012 - 07:31 PM

Looks good Howard! I think I am convinced that I need something a little bigger. I will have to keep looking. I will probably go out and take a look at the 7 sometime this week and make my final decission. Thank you all for the great information.

Jason

Hi Jason, I see you are in Virginia. If you decide not to get that MF7 hydro, let me know about it would you? I'd really like to have a 7 hydro after seeing how nimble these little tractors are. I'm in Central NC and going to Virginia would not be out of the question.

#15 jstiteler OFFLINE  

jstiteler
  • 9 Thanks
  • 44 posts

Posted July 17, 2012 - 06:50 AM

Will do Howard. I start my staycation tomorrow and will let you know once I have a chance to get down there to take a look at it.